The whining about Pearson thread

cheron85

We needed a little tinkering with, we have the nucleus of a bloody good team. Needed a dm a RB and another option as a striker. Stick to 4-3-3, get Bryson and Hughes around their box not ours get the ball into Martin's feet play fast 1-2 touch football. We didn't need Pearson to come in rip it all up, and play attacking midfielders in the holding roles.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my mind we have two options. Either Pearson goes now or we give him long enough to re-build the squad. 

I don't know what direction we're going in; whether a rebuild is his remit or to get the best out of what we already have… but it's clear that he won't get the best out of what we already have.

On 23/08/2016 at 16:15, Mafiabob said:

So if that happens then, I'd imagine you won't be calling for the managers (any) head? 

The right way is the winning way. Points mean prizes......

Absolute Poppycock that post.

Just an opinion bobster. I'll elaborate.

I rarely call for the manager's head as long as I believe he's going about his job with the values I want for the club and in a style I enjoy watching. Recent managers I liked Smith, Burley, Clough, McClaren - Managers I didn't like Davies, Jewell, Clement, and so far Pearson. I appreciate that in taking that stance I differ from the popular view that 'it's a results business'.

As others have mentioned, more often than not sides that try to play attractive attacking football do better than ones who don't. There are obviously exceptions. We've tried to play various types of 'let's not lose' football previously and I can honestly say I became so ambivalent to the results I stopped watching. Probably means I'm some kind of half fan but for me the results are only part of the story. The promotion season under Davies, I genuinely lost interest half way through. Of course I want us to be successful but I'd rather we had so many other things going for us than grinding out 1-0 victories. I can appreciate a clean sheet but not at the cost of letting players express themselves and trying to win by playing exciting passing football.

I appreciate that others want to see us playing in the Premier League at all costs. I personally want to be able to see that the manager is trying to build a side capable of winning games by being better at scoring goals than the opposition, playing the ball on the deck and working as a team. The Clough/McClaren season that's what I want to see.

So far I'm not seeing anything like that from Pearson and as a result my interest is limited, if we were grinding out results I don't think my interest would be much great than it is presently.

Would I be more interested if we were playing exciting football, not getting results and in the same position in the league?

I can honestly say I would.

leics fan in peace.

My initial thoughts were when you got pearson it would be good for you, I read the first few pages of this thread and I can understand why you concerned.

This is a test for pearson as he has not got either of steve walsh or shakespeare with him.

In our almost relegation season under pearson his problems were been unable to react to how games were going (if we started the worse team then it would last for 90 mins) and been stubborn in the team he picks, it would literally take him 9 games to drop a underperforming player or formation when it was not working out.  This was also highlighted in the season we finished 6th in this league, as we were 3rd in january, but then went on a really bad run to scrape the playoffs.

Raneiri's strengths were clear to see, he listens to shakespeare, he has dropped players he signed when they didnt work showing he values the team more than trying to look good with his signings and perhaps most importantly adapted his management style to suit our players, where he signs a lot above pearson finally is he is a great tactician, he does things like change the wingers around and change formation during the game and if we start badly, he nearly always manages to fix it during the game.

What we dont know with pearson is how much of his success was down to shakespeare and walsh.  You guys I see as the experiment to see if pearson can pull it off without them.  But he is reunited with both phillips and powell who have worked with him before.

In regards to style of play, when he first came back to us after sven, he was very direct and basic with the football but it did improve over time, although I would say a weakness of his teams are they never great at keeping the ball, so whilst it will improve I dont know if he will ever make you a possession based team like you guys want.

As a final note, sven built us to be good at possession which partially worked, and we then went to pearson a different style of manager, it got us promoted but took 3 seasons. Although we came very close in the first full season before hitting that bad run (second season).

On 26/08/2016 at 22:24, Leicester Fan said:

Nigel Pearson is very capable of fairly lengthy runs of poor results and uninspired performances. He's also incredibly good at building strong sides that generally play exciting attacking football and unlike this Derby team, do ultimately achieve what they're trying to achieve. 

Is this fact or guesswork?

Looking at his managerial achievements elsewhere they do not look anything out of the ordinary?

Where else did he play exciting attacking football?

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is this fact or guesswork?

Looking at his managerial achievements elsewhere they do not look anything out of the ordinary?

Where else did he play exciting attacking football?

He played exciting attacking football with us in the Championship which is a large chunk of his career, the only other club where he's built his own squad is Hull, I couldn't comment on the quality of their football. He improved us season after season, matched all reasonable expectations every season and on two separate spells at our club built teams that achieved what we were aiming for, the first time getting out of League One and becoming a very competitive Championship side with limited resources, the second time getting into and staying in the Premier League. The rest of his managerial career is short spells at relegation threatened clubs who he kept up and a season and a half at Hull where he was competing in around the top six and was well on the way to building a pretty strong side when he left. And in fairness the side he built at Hull, with some tweaks, did ultimately achieve what they were aiming for.

It's an opinion based on 6 years of watching a Nigel Pearson managed team, which I'd guess is more than you've got to go on.

Didnt pearson watch bit of us at end of last season to bring couple of players in. dm when thorne out let bryson hughes get forward more get a vardy style striker to play of martin if he playing 442 or 4231 i gettin pissed of with this villa newcastle recruiting players that we are looking at it shouldnt have took till deadline day. Am i gel f.... to rite i am.

Archived