First name on the team sheet

archied

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes. 

47 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

I'll go with Will. Need to be building your team around him. Sadly, it's hard in a two man midfield, doesn't really get the best out of him.

I agree. Maybe hewould be be more affective if we played 4-4-2 diamond, with him at the front.

Hughes. He has so much more ability than the others. I don't understand why anyone would think he'd find it hard in a midfield two. He's our best ball winner, best ball retainer and best passer. Have faith, start him there and he'll pull the strings.

All that said, Carson was an excellent signing and I'm delighted we have him too.

In terms of impact this season Butterfield and Keogh come next.

Thing is, what have any of our midfielders got that Will hasn't?

Bryson runs slightly further maybe? Thorne is slightly better at ball winning? 

Reverse the question...

Winning the ball more than all but one

work rate more than all but one

passing over them all

balance over them all

awareness over them all

composure over them all

The only area he gets beaten by more than one of them is his goal threat. Because Will is so caught in the mindset of spotting the best person to give the best ball that he overlooks the greedy high risk passes and shots. But there's only really Butterfield that really outclasses him here. Other than that none of them are far ahead of him here. 

If he can't get in a two man midfield then something spectacular must be happening in between matches. 

If it's a 3 man midfield and he doesn't get in... wow.

Hughes, Martin, Keogh, Carson, Thorne...

That's the spine of a superb Championship team. The rest can be alternated, but if I was in charge those five would be playing every game barring injury.

Bryson, Butterfield, Ince, Russell, Forsyth, Christie and Shackell would be next for me in terms of importance.

Then it filters down to Weimann, Olsson, Rawson, Roos, Hendrick and I guess Hanson for versatility.

Pearce, Camara, Bent, Johnson and Grant are bottom of the barrel for me. If I was in charge I'd sell them immediately, and spend the bulk of any available funds on a new RB, CB, ST and wide player.

4-3-3.

First names on the sheet are the entire defensive contingent which is becoming a force and NP knows that in of itself that may get us up. To go up in style we need an attack and right now our attack is looking far from clinical.  So he needs to figure that out with some incomings unless bent and Ince come good. 

9 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Hughes always should be first.

At this point given that Pearson is supposedly bringing in a new ethos that you train well and perform in games you keep the shirt do we say Hugh's goes in ahead of butterfield,,, it's a very interesting and important point and a major issue regards what we are trying to put in place at the club( I do like Hughes and think he's the best player at the club)

Hughes,Carson,Keogh,Shackell and Thorne(when fit) in that order. I would say Forsyth and Butterfield after that. I think Butterfield is our most underrated player. People say he is similar to Hughes when they're different, Hughes controls the play whereas Butterfield creates and scores more in the final third. He scored 8 times last season which is pretty good going from a midfielder who wasn't always seen as being first choice.

This is going to morph in to an alternative pick your team thread but it's a good way to look at it. As a straight answer to the OP.  I'd want Butterfield. 

it isn't about an individual though it's about groupings.

Usual back 5  ( inc Fozzie ) for sure and the front two probably aren't that critical .. They can all score given the chances 

For me it's the midfield mix that we haven't got right. NP is playing a four so, having picked Butterfield I'd have Hughes. I think he and Butterfield transcend positions because they are well developed footballers. 

I'd want Camara to be given a go on the left wing if fit. And then someone on the right wing ? Suggestions please. 

On 11/08/2016 at 08:12, Ramarena said:

878195-1.jpg

It's great it appears Abdoul is actually going to get a chance this season: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-winger-abdoul-camara-looking-sharp-and-determined-to-impress-says-rams-boss/story-29611003-detail/story.html

On which note, I'm pleased Pearson is giving everyone opportunities. It's important that players believe if they work hard and do well they can get into the first team, as is clear that Bent started the first two games, Pearce played against Grimsby and Baird got the nod at left back. While fans have favourites, managers shouldn't.

But Will should still be the first name on the team sheet.

Archived