I really like new Nigel Pearson

Jon_Grooves

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not so much the overall style that they're good at, but it's the aggregation of little bits.  Hughes is best when he has license to find space and has passing options on.  Last night, he struggled to get into space because of the constraints of a two-man midfield, and when he did get on the ball, more-often-than-not he had 40 yards of empty field in front of him, meaning he ended up passing it sideways.  Thorne will have similar problems with lack of passing options, and given that he's not massively mobile, I can't see him playing much anyway.  

Martin is best when we get the ball into his feet and get runners moving off him.  Last night, we barely got any ball into his feet, and when we did, the midfielders are all sat deep, and the other 3 forwards were all pushed right up, so again, Martin either goes backwards, or loses possession.  You can carry on with this for almost everyone in the squad.  It's almost like Pearson has designed a system to deliberately hamper all of our best players.

It's the system Pearson has always played at every club he's been at including Leicester.  

We all new that didn't we ! Well I did and I think Bris did so I assume Sam and Mel did. 

He needs time just as Clement needed time. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll always remember Pearson's complete demolition of us in 2013/14, when we actually stood a chance of overhauling them and winning automatic promotion at the time.

We tried hard that night to play the pass heavy and exciting 4-3-3, and had some limited success, but Pearson's side just soaked it up and smashed us time and time again.

At the end of last season, as much as I enjoyed the swashbuckling stuff we have tried mostly to play, it's just not going to get us promoted and can lead to some real misery (see Hull at home).

So I'm glad Pearson has the backbone and experience to see through the changes we need to take the next step. He seems a resolute man with a realistic outlook, and expects players to perform consistently to their best in a range of formations designed to win games. It may take more than a season, but I'll back that.

29 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

And making them do what they're bad at is going to improve that?  We've had 3 years of being good 80% of the time, and bad 20% of the time.  We need to fix that 20%, not abandon everything that's made us promotion contenders for those 3 years.

SPOT ON! We need tweeking, not completely changing!

Change takes time and inevitably involves a few wobbles.

The players need time to acclimatise and NP needs to find the best personnel for his plan.

During this period I guess it would be unfair to expect slick passing and beautiful football.

We have been disappointing and come  away with two clean sheets.

We've had a few years of sexy football and no rewards.

Let's give this new approach time to bed in.

1 hour ago, DCFCArmy said:

It was never going to take long in a now now now era though. 1 win and 1 draw, 2 clean sheets.. 2 GAMES, I know some people are pretty dim... but you can't get promotion inside 2 games people... Its like they think we should already be winning games at a canter and already promoted... :lol:

But Forest have won the league and are playing in Europe next season after winning the league cup both after 2 games, so why can't we?

2 hours ago, cannable said:

I'm not sure it's player power.

Pearson teams have historically sat back, absorbed pressure and countered at break-neck speed. 

Our players are more suited to controlling the game and pressing high with having a high defensive line.

I'd imagine they're adapting. 

Yes, totally agree.

Remember how many fans were complaining we took too long to pass the ball last season, well hopefully NP gets us moving the ball much quicker this season. And if we can have more clinically finishing in front of goal we'll be on to a winner.

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

We do, and almost to a man, they are being asked to do things they aren't good at.  Martin and Bent dealing with balls up to their heads.  Bryson and Hendrick sitting deep protecting the back 4. Blackman and Johnson running down the wings crossing.  Ince pushed so far forward he's gets no service and gets no room to run at people.

All true Duncan but we get in a rut. We had bad games last season when we sat deep, didn't press. Just because you get to the supermarket by going on the ring road and turning left at the junction every week doesn't make that the only way way to the supermarket. 

Regardless of formation or balls on the floor I have a sense that some players need a bit of a kick up the back side or to be given a sense of focus. 

I am with the manager all the way at the moment. he is learning about his players and imprinting some of his ideas on them. My only worry is that I don't want to see some of our better players demotivated. We'll need some carrot with the stick to keep everyone on board. The Hughes situation worries me a little but Inam hoping it is only fear generated by gossip mongers. The rest should fall in to place if we can be a little patient

Think the team he puts out on Saturday at Barnsley will give a good indicator , hes had a good look at everyone now and i think a few are now going to drop out of contention , the main ones under threat i feel are Martin and Russell , any new signings made are for the first team and will only come to play , not warm the bench . From Barnsley on Saturday through to the window closing at the end of the month i think is going to be very interesting for all concerned

46 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Think the team he puts out on Saturday at Barnsley will give a good indicator , hes had a good look at everyone now and i think a few are now going to drop out of contention , the main ones under threat i feel are Martin and Russell , any new signings made are for the first team and will only come to play , not warm the bench . From Barnsley on Saturday through to the window closing at the end of the month i think is going to be very interesting for all concerned

Agreed indeed.

One big flipping wake up call coming people, with no prisoners taken.

Why do people think all footballers are arrogant cnuts you have to keep in line? 

Thinking that they're all pampered babies that sulk and don't care and collect their money? 

@curtains talking about player power like they're an evil syndicate. 

As soon as a player doesn't play well it's sulking or not caring. 

4 hours ago, curtains said:

But we had 3 years of failure when they did what they thought they were good at. 

Rubbish. 

So every team in the country that wasn't promoted or named a champion has failed then? 

If we failed in 2014 then what we're we doing for the previous decade?

Total garbage.

What I see is a manager who expects the absolute best, who's made them the fittest team, and whose changes in the games have been top notch so far. He knew when to bring Hughes in for example and he's subbing out players who aren't cutting it. It will take them time to improve but you hear him in interviews talk about how he wants more risk taking and attacking play-for us to play on the front foot. So far so good . 

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Why do people think all footballers are arrogant cnuts you have to keep in line? 

Thinking that they're all pampered babies that sulk and don't care and collect their money? 

@curtains talking about player power like they're an evil syndicate. 

As soon as a player doesn't play well it's sulking or not caring. 

I think as in every walk of life there are a few and football is no different, but yeah we can all have a bad day and that doesn't make us lazy or uncaring. Equally they are very wealthy young men and keeping their feet on the ground will be part of any managers job. I am a pretty reasonable bloke now .. But if I was 20 something and had a Ferrari I would have crashed it at least once. Maybe it isn't arrogance, maybe it's just the feeling of invincibility that youth, talent and a full wallet can bring to some ? 

Archived