I really like new Nigel Pearson

Jon_Grooves

Just watched his post match interview. I see the word 'ruthless' came up again. This seems to be a word which has been used for the past couple of seasons by different managers for us. Not being ruthless enough in front of goal, which would explain why weve bid for Forestieri.

Pearson came across like he'll take no **** and knows what he wants. Im sure we all knew he was this kind of man before, but to see a Derby manager with these characteristics is really refreshing and exciting.

Those points together, I have a feeling that our team as we know it will change, esp next season. Our forwards will change and Martin and Bent will be no more. This season we wont see much change, but changes are going to be made. I really think we need players with the correct personality, and at the moment i dont think we have it to win the league. Pearson will sort that out im sure, and i cant wait.

I dont expect us to do much this season unless we buy in and change, but next season is going to be great!

Great appointment Mel

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's doing ok for me. 

Some of the players look like they are not buying into it though a lot of the time. 

I suspect player power has been an issue at Derby for a while . 

Certain players really don't like being dropped and fans get on to the manager if their favorites are dropped and then pressure is created. 

Would the fans be will to give him a seasons leeway though? People were calling for an experienced manager when Clement was sacked and criticised Mel for "writing the season off" and "not wanting promotion".

I don't think they realised that appointing Pearson would lead to a mid-scale rebuilding job. 

Just now, curtains said:

He's doing ok for me. 

Some of the players look like they are not buying into it though a lot of the time. 

yeah but did the previous Managers have a Action Man hairdo and a "can do" attitude?

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

He's doing ok for me. 

I'm not sure it's player power.

Pearson teams have historically sat back, absorbed pressure and countered at break-neck speed. 

Our players are more suited to controlling the game and pressing high with having a high defensive line.

I'd imagine they're adapting. 

He's the best man we could have got for the situation we are in, people expecting immediate results will be disappointed because he's a squad builder, and that takes time, we tried going down the spend millions route and it didn't work, so now we're in a situation where we need to be patient and let the bloke change what needs to be changed. 

Whether he gets the time from Mel and the fans is another matter.

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

I'm not sure it's player power.

Pearson teams have historically sat back, absorbed pressure and countered at break-neck speed. 

Our players are more suited to controlling the game and pressing high with having a high defensive line.

I'd imagine they're adapting. 

Looks to me like Pearson has walked through that door and basically said "everyone, stop doing all that stuff you're good at, and start doing everything you're bad at".  And when players aren't good at the stuff they're bad at, he starts making thinly veiled comments about them in post-match interviews.  I can't imagine it's good for morale, and I can't imagine that players like Hughes will be wanting to put up with it much longer.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

Looks to me like Pearson has walked through that door and basically said "everyone, stop doing all that stuff you're good at, and start doing everything you're bad at".  And when players aren't good at the stuff they're bad at, he starts making thinly veiled comments about them in post-match interviews.  I can't imagine it's good for morale, and I can't imagine that players like Hughes will be wanting to put up with it much longer.

Hughes isn't DCFC you know. 

We have other players as well .

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Hughes isn't DCFC you know. 

We have other players as well .

We do, and almost to a man, they are being asked to do things they aren't good at.  Martin and Bent dealing with balls up to their heads.  Bryson and Hendrick sitting deep protecting the back 4. Blackman and Johnson running down the wings crossing.  Ince pushed so far forward he's gets no service and gets no room to run at people.

We do, and almost to a man, they are being asked to do things they aren't good at.  Martin and Bent dealing with balls up to their heads.  Bryson and Hendrick sitting deep protecting the back 4. Blackman and Johnson running down the wings crossing.  Ince pushed so far forward he's gets no service and gets no room to run at people.

But we had 3 years of failure when they did what they thought they were good at. 

8 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

While it's easy to take this stance because over the last few years Derby have played with a style where we control games, I disagree that this is what the players we have are objectively "good" at.

We've only ever been good at controlling games when Thorne has been on-song. When we were successful without him (Eustace/Mascarell), we regularly had less possession than our opposition unless they were just simply poor.

I don't think it will take a rebuild for us to be successful with a different style, nor do I think it will take morale crushing video-game style retraining. 

Moreover I think a change in style has become more obviously necessary since McClaren's wobble started until now. 

Just now, curtains said:

But we had 3 years of failure when they did what they thought they were good at. 

And making them do what they're bad at is going to improve that?  We've had 3 years of being good 80% of the time, and bad 20% of the time.  We need to fix that 20%, not abandon everything that's made us promotion contenders for those 3 years.

And making them do what they're bad at is going to improve that?  We've had 3 years of being good 80% of the time, and bad 20% of the time.  We need to fix that 20%, not abandon everything that's made us promotion contenders for those 3 years.

Well that's a way of looking at it . 

The manager who Mel and Sam appointed may look at it differently. 

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

While it's easy to take this stance because over the last few years Derby have played with a style where we control games, I disagree that this is what the players we have are objectively "good" at.

We've only ever been good at controlling games when Thorne has been on-song. When we were successful without him (Eustace/Mascarell), we regularly had less possession than our opposition unless they were just simply poor.

I don't think it will take a rebuild for us to be successful with a different style, nor do I think it will take morale crushing video-game style retraining. 

Moreover I think a change in style has become more obviously necessary since McClaren's wobble started until now. 

You whaaaaaa? We had the second most average possession in the league in 14/15… we were averaging around 600 passes a game… :huh:

5 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

God this didn't take long did it :ph34r:

I've always said let the manager manage and if he wants to drop ANY player he will have a reason so let him do it. 

Managers jobs are also on the line if they get it wrong. 

I still think we need some ins and outs on playing personnel at DCFC but that's my opinion .

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

It's not so much the overall style that they're good at, but it's the aggregation of little bits.  Hughes is best when he has license to find space and has passing options on.  Last night, he struggled to get into space because of the constraints of a two-man midfield, and when he did get on the ball, more-often-than-not he had 40 yards of empty field in front of him, meaning he ended up passing it sideways.  Thorne will have similar problems with lack of passing options, and given that he's not massively mobile, I can't see him playing much anyway.  

Martin is best when we get the ball into his feet and get runners moving off him.  Last night, we barely got any ball into his feet, and when we did, the midfielders are all sat deep, and the other 3 forwards were all pushed right up, so again, Martin either goes backwards, or loses possession.  You can carry on with this for almost everyone in the squad.  It's almost like Pearson has designed a system to deliberately hamper all of our best players.

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

You whaaaaaa? We had the second most average possession in the league in 14/15… we were averaging around 600 passes a game… :huh:

mmmm. I must be misremembering stats. 

Fine ignore me. 

I just don't think all of these players are as good at controlling games, or at least aren't good enough at utilising a controlled environment to warrant a meltdown over the thought of a system change

It was never going to take long in a now now now era though. 1 win and 1 draw, 2 clean sheets.. 2 GAMES, I know some people are pretty dim... but you can't get promotion inside 2 games people... Its like they think we should already be winning games at a canter and already promoted... :lol:

Archived