Roadrider £16... to Burton

Srg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I see the problem here, 14 quid for non members would mean they need to get 70 people on it just to make 1000 quid revenue.  People can get the train for 7 quid, bus for cheaper so they have an alternative if required and the club are not forcing anyone to pay out this , which is different to the ticket pricing where there is no other option.

Maybe we should expect the club to make a loss on everything it does ?

There are some older and/or disabled people for whom the bus is a lifeline. They are looked after, dropped outside the stadium.

You can't just pop on the train or the service bus if you can't walk far or couldn't find your way without help. 

I think the Roadrider is more like a club for those people and as such is a valuable service. It's not always just about the £.

They have to run it. How many busses per hour go from Derby to Burton in general service and back again afterwards? Certainly not enough for all the Derby fans to get on plus all general users. Coaches aren't cheap to hire I doubt they are making much profit at that price. It sounds dear for such a short journey but if you don't want to pay it, take your chances on public transport and stop bellyaching 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

There are some older and/or disabled people for whom the bus is a lifeline. They are looked after, dropped outside the stadium.

You can't just pop on the train or the service bus if you can't walk far or couldn't find your way without help. 

I think the Roadrider is more like a club for those people and as such is a valuable service. It's not always just about the £.

Yes but unfortunately as with everything you mostly have to pay extra for that extra service... If I get the bus to work it costs me about £1.50... If I get a cab it costs £10... Sometimes if I have to carry too much I'm forced to get a cab...

Yes... I appreciate that it's an extra expense for those vulnerable people who aren't able to get the train or the bus on their own... But unfortunately that is how it works... You have to pay coach and driver hire for (guessing) 5-6 hours... Plus with it being so close there's LESS chance of them filling the coaches... 

Which would you rather... They run it at £16 for those who need it... Or run it at say £7...But cancel it if they don't fill the busses?

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Yes but unfortunately as with everything you mostly have to pay extra for that extra service... If I get the bus to work it costs me about £1.50... If I get a cab it costs £10... Sometimes if I have to carry too much I'm forced to get a cab...

Yes... I appreciate that it's an extra expense for those vulnerable people who aren't able to get the train or the bus on their own... But unfortunately that is how it works... You have to pay coach and driver hire for (guessing) 5-6 hours... Plus with it being so close there's LESS chance of them filling the coaches... 

Which would you rather... They run it at £16 for those who need it... Or run it at say £7...But cancel it if they don't fill the busses?

Exactly what you said - I was answering the people who thought it was a rip-off - I think the group of people I mentioned recognise the value they get from it.

I travel on the Roadrider occasionally when I want to pay for the privilege of getting there the easy way - usually the London games!

6 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'm not sure I see the problem here, 14 quid for non members would mean they need to get 70 people on it just to make 1000 quid revenue.  People can get the train for 7 quid, bus for cheaper so they have an alternative if required and the club are not forcing anyone to pay out this , which is different to the ticket pricing where there is no other option.

Maybe we should expect the club to make a loss on everything it does ?

How exactly would they make a loss on it?

£10 petrol so unless the driver is on about £300 an hour I am not too sure how they are going to make a loss?

7 hours ago, rynny said:

It was £5.00 return on the bus when I went a couple of years ago. Wouldn't it be cheaper in a taxi?

It would probably be cheaper to get a bus down to Heathrow, fly back to East Midlands, catch a train to Burton and then get a taxi to the ground.

Archived