Roadrider £16... to Burton

Srg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

How exactly would they make a loss on it?

£10 petrol so unless the driver is on about £300 an hour I am not too sure how they are going to make a loss?

if you think the only costs involved are a driver for an hour and fuel, then yes I can see how you would struggle to see how they would make a loss

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

How exactly would they make a loss on it?

£10 petrol so unless the driver is on about £300 an hour I am not too sure how they are going to make a loss?

GStar - come on buddy, you have to think more sensible than that.

Hiring a coach for the day is probably is the region of £700-£800 for even a short journey. A coach companies costs are:

£100k - cost for the coach itself, probably with a 3-4 year required payback

£120 - The driver for the day. He cannot do much more on that day, he is committed for most of it.

£15 - Fuel

£20 - Cleaning cost afterwards

Then the company has:

- Overheads

- Taxes/VAT

You simply cannot look at the distance and think the price is proportional. Majority of the costs are fixed costs.

13 minutes ago, rammieib said:

GStar - come on buddy, you have to think more sensible than that.

Hiring a coach for the day is probably is the region of £700-£800 for even a short journey. A coach companies costs are:

£100k - cost for the coach itself, probably with a 3-4 year required payback

£120 - The driver for the day. He cannot do much more on that day, he is committed for most of it.

£15 - Fuel

£20 - Cleaning cost afterwards

Then the company has:

- Overheads

- Taxes/VAT

You simply cannot look at the distance and think the price is proportional. Majority of the costs are fixed costs.

I know, my post was a bit tongue in cheek.

You really can't defend £16 though. It's ridiculous and at that price I can't imagine anyone with any sense using it and then the bus company will be making a loss because they will have a pretty empty bus.

PistoldPete2
9 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

if you think the only costs involved are a driver for an hour and fuel, then yes I can see how you would struggle to see how they would make a loss

The train is £6.90 return. gets there in 13 minutes. Whichever way you slice it, £16 for a coach trip, which should be cheaper than the train, is an absolute rip-off. 

35 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

The train is £6.90 return. gets there in 13 minutes. Whichever way you slice it, £16 for a coach trip, which should be cheaper than the train, is an absolute rip-off. 

It's only a rip off if you are forced to pay it - you have an alternative, catch the train.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 06:44, G STAR RAM said:

I know, my post was a bit tongue in cheek.

You really can't defend £16 though. It's ridiculous and at that price I can't imagine anyone with any sense using it and then the bus company will be making a loss because they will have a pretty empty bus.

No - DCFC pay the bus company for the bus. The losers will be Derby County but I'm fairly sure they will sell out for 1-3 buses.

Why not use  the same company as Burton,they use our stewards,I like the costing  120 pound for a driver.

Thats 15 pound a hour on a 8 hour day ,driving for 3 hours,most properly a Derby supporter,and a free ticket into the ground.   i Sorry 16 pounds a seat  is excessive.  What a company to work for

1 hour ago, trevor1946 said:

Why not use  the same company as Burton,they use our stewards,I like the costing  120 pound for a driver.

Thats 15 pound a hour on a 8 hour day ,driving for 3 hours,most properly a Derby supporter,and a free ticket into the ground.   i Sorry 16 pounds a seat  is excessive.  What a company to work for

You really have no business idea do you? Just had a look - the cost to buy a New Coach is £250,000! So lets say they keep it for 4 years, and it gets used 6 days a week, with a residual value of £20k, that's £185 towards the cost of the coach before any servicing, fuel, spare parts, repairs, new tyres etc

I'd estimate they will spend another £250k on MRO on that coach during its life - so we are now at £370.

£120 for the driver
£10 for the N.I
£20 for Fuel
£370 Coach Cost contribution and MRO (Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul)
£150 Variable Overheads for the company (Admin staff, Insurance, etc)
£100 Fixed Costs (Property, where does the bus live when not in use etc)

Total - £770 already

50 seater coat - 50 x £16 = £800. So that leaves a £30 profit for the coach company. Every seat may not sell out - someone has to take that risk, probably DCFC and they are probably getting the coach for £650 ish.

So there is your business lesson for the day, no more ignorant comments please.

Oh and....

The Coach Drivers don't go in and watch the football!!

On 8/8/2016 at 13:41, rammieib said:

You really have no business idea do you? Just had a look - the cost to buy a New Coach is £250,000! So lets say they keep it for 4 years, and it gets used 6 days a week, with a residual value of £20k, that's £185 towards the cost of the coach before any servicing, fuel, spare parts, repairs, new tyres etc

I'd estimate they will spend another £250k on MRO on that coach during its life - so we are now at £370.

£120 for the driver
£10 for the N.I
£20 for Fuel

Total - £770 already

50 seater coat - 50 x £16 = £800. So that leaves a £30 profit for the coach company. Every seat may not sell out - someone has to take that risk, probably DCFC and they are probably getting the coach for £650 ish.

Oh and....

A 250,000 pound coach,has a life span of 20 years,not 4 years,and my company would not send a new coach to a football match, ,a standard tariff would reflect these cost in a hourly rate. Servicing-repairs-tyres-spare parts etc.

To complete a journey of 30 miles,,and a standing time of 3 hours,total hire 5 hours,total costing 8 hours would be a nice days work ,  Variable overheads,admin,property,all a standard cost to the company 770 pounds,to run a coach to burton 

a lesson in trying to fool joe public,I have done foot ball specials,for trent--barton,and hunts,and covering Derby-Lincoln--Grimsby, and apart from the national stadium in Wales,drivers were allowed in,

The costing to Burton is 6 pounds for a 53 seater,and you break even at selling 49 seats,That is a business lesson

and i feel 16 pounds is too much   Please feel free to use the coaches that Burton Albion use

On 08/08/2016 at 13:41, rammieib said:

£120 for the driver
£10 for the N.I
£20 for Fuel

Total - £770 already

Oh and....

Come on! That's not a business lesson, that's a lot of made up figures to make the ridiculous pricing look reasonable.

If your coatings are correct then there must be some bus companies losing some serious money!

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Come on! That's not a business lesson, that's a lot of made up figures to make the ridiculous pricing look reasonable.

If your coatings are correct then there must be some bus companies losing some serious money!

Nah, the council will be paying good money each day taking kids to schools once the Harpur buses run out!

Really disappointed with this thread. £16 return to hire a private coach to go anywhere is pretty good value. If it costs a few quid more than going via public transport then some people will choose to pay it for the convenience (maybe necessity) of being taken directly to the ground and some people can choose to save a few pounds and make their own arrangements.

Derby are a community-based club that tries hard to look after fans, but they're not a charity. It's run at a substantial loss subsidized by Mel's millions. If you want a cheaper Roadrider to Burton what you're effectively saying is that Mel's not putting enough money into the club and needs to provide more.

People are quite welcome to arrange and pay for there own coaches, all get together and hire one, I'm sure Burton will let it park outside too.

arranging it all's a bit of a caffuffle though, but if it really boils your wee wee I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I wonder how many of the moaners are actually going to the match?

Archived