Your first Derby game?

MK

Mine was actually away at Wolves sitting in home fans in early 90s. Think we were 2-1 down with about 15 to play and we won 3-2. Simon Coleman with winner I think. Kept quiet until got in car and went crazy. Probably for the best as saw Derby fans punched hard in stomach leaving game. I got lots of Wolves family and friends so was good day.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can remember about my first game is a bearded man (Derek Hales) playing a few feet from where I was stood - ground level in a corner of the Normantan stand.

https://goo.gl/images/fa6oDJ

He didn't play many games, so probably 1976/77 when I was 6 - I always thought it was a 1-0 win versus Chelsea, but looking at the stats he didn't play. Vague recollection of opposition being in blue or yellow so perhaps Leicester 27/12/76 or Colchester 2/2/77 in the FA Cup...letter seems a more likely game for my Uncle Dave to take me as a 6 year old.

http://www.11v11.com/players/derek-hales-35262/

8-2 at home to Spurs, Bruce Roch hitting 4 as an emergency centre forward.

The great Pat Jennings was in goal for them.

Did Charlie George really sit on the ball?

Shame there is no footage of this game, what a cracker it was!?

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Mine was actually away at Wolves sitting in home fans in early 90s. Think we were 2-1 down with about 15 to play and we won 3-2. Simon Coleman with winner I think. Kept quiet until got in car and went crazy. Probably for the best as saw Derby fans punched hard in stomach leaving game. I got lots of Wolves family and friends so was good day.

Cracking game that was.

Seem to remember Bobby Davison scoring that day and maybe the bean pole too?

Mine was when Fabrizio Ravanelli made his debut and scored a free kick which was brilliant to be fair. Might have been against Blackburn. I remember my Dad going downstairs for half time and missing the goal (Like usual) he wasn’t happy.

Derby County 5 Tottenham Hotspurs 0 in our fits season in Division 1. What a debut for me an absolute privilege!

I was in the Pop side for our biggest ever Baseball Ground crowd, and looked in awe at Jimmy Greaves during the warm up. I can remember absolutely raving about a point-blank save by Les Green to deny Jimmy Greaves - I raved so much I missed Willie Carlin's goal.

A tremendous match by anyone's standard. Thanks to my schoolmate Eddie Sewter for taking me!

Feb 1999 V Charlton .. 0-2 I think... took 6 year old nephew to his first football game. Not a great result, but he loved it and still has scarf and programme. He's a Luton Boy because that's where he grew up and where his Dad subsequently took him but we still go to the Rams whenever he ventures North.  We send each other Ram and Hat emojis on match days 30 mins before kick off .

My first game was one of our classics ! 

November '72. 5-0 against Arsenal. 

We sat in the Normo ( I was 7) and I saw 4 goals down our end in the 1st half . I thought all games were going to be like this !

Next day , I watched the highlights on Star Soccer ( those on here under 40, ask yer dad !) . Hugh Johns commentary was just sublime .

On 2 August 2016 at 16:24, G STAR RAM said:

Cracking game that was.

Seem to remember Bobby Davison scoring that day and maybe the bean pole too?

I was there ! Coleman sent off and Micklewhite with the winner and loads of trouble after !  It was just after Maxwell had drowned and we spent the match chanting some very songs about his 'sad' demise !! 

On 8/1/2016 at 10:19, MK said:

I've just found all my old match day programmes in my parent's loft . The pick of the bunch was the programme from my first ever game: Oldham Athletic at the Baseball Ground, 28th October 1995.

I remember that day really well considering i was only 5 - the walk with my dad up to the ground, the noise when we scored and the excitement of being there. Strangely I had to Google the score though as I had no idea how it finished. 

Just wondering what everyone's first Derby game was and how well you can remember it?

I remember this game MK. Russell Hoult blunder! Won 2-1 though?

1 hour ago, whitefieldram said:

I remember this game MK. Russell Hoult blunder! Won 2-1 though?

You tell me. I remember the atmosphere like it was yesterday but can't remember the game at all. Was probably being kept busy with Haribo 

On 01/08/2016 at 10:58, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Baseball ground vs Man City, I was around 6 or 7.

I think we drew 1-1 and I know for sure Dean Saunders scored a cracking volley. I'm also sure that Mak Wright hit someone or head butted someone, or got hit.  I just remember everyone singing oo Mark Wright.

My favourite player was Steve Cross, only because he was always closest to me on the wing. 

Didn't they change ends back then .....

First game I remember being at was vs Blackburn Rovers 1997/98. We won 3-1. Think we went 4th in the Prem with that win.

I remember Sturridge's goal and having to stand on my seat at the back of the East Stand for most of the game as everyone was stood up infront of us. Went with my stepdad and his mates and stood either in The Alex car park, or on the little street between there and The Brunswick with the low wall before the game enjoying being the centre of attention. I'd have been 6 or 7.

Also have vague recollections of the Leicester 4-0 game (4-0 down in about 16 minutes) and West Ham at home (2/3-0, Ferdinand, Lampard, *****, Lomas, Minto et al.) that season. Remember going in the White Horse on the Morledge before the West Ham game. Only time I've ever been in...

First away game was Sheffield Wednesday in maybe 2005.

If there was any match that was going to sell football as a lifelong hobby then you'll be hard pressed to find a better first game than mine..

Think it was 87 or 88.

Derby County 4 Chelsea 6.

It was like one of my Brackensdale Juniors lunchtime  playground matches played out by adults. Brilliant game.

3-1 down at half time. Went 4-3 up I think, Durie got a hatrick.

First game was at home to Everton in the first premier league season. I was a young lad and hadn't really committed to a team at the time. Neither side of the family was from Derby originally and my Dad was a Villa (now claims he's a Derby fans).

I went with my football team, we had a tour of the ground first and whilst in the home changing Room Igor Stimac walked in. He told some member of staff to get a flag which he signed and gave to my little brother who had also come to the game, I later claimed the flag for myself as he wasn't really bothered about it and it came round the country with me to away games.

i remember it being a night game and we lost 1-0 to a Nick Barmby goal. But I was hooked and there was no going back.

Archived