Your first Derby game?

MK

21 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Derby County 5 Tottenham Hotspurs 0 in our fits season in Division 1. What a debut for me an absolute privilege!

I was in the Pop side for our biggest ever Baseball Ground crowd, and looked in awe at Jimmy Greaves during the warm up. I can remember absolutely raving about a point-blank save by Les Green to deny Jimmy Greaves - I raved so much I missed Willie Carlin's goal.

A tremendous match by anyone's standard. Thanks to my schoolmate Eddie Sewter for taking me!

I think that was Mel Morris first game too. I was there also, highest ever crowd for Rams at home 41826

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1 August 2016 at 20:28, irobinson said:

1973 - Derby vs West Ham at the BBG - amazing experience - 1-1 - only 7 yrs old

Only just realised Bobby Moore was playing for the Hammers that day!

Season ticket followed for the 1973/74 season

So excited going to BBG as a boy........and always was thereafter

I remember that game !  I was just thrilled to see Bobby Moore !! 

24 minutes ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

I made the Ram - first one in the Ley Stand - ram photographer took me picture with me Dad . Got that in the loft somewhere....happy days

still don't lose the passion - goin Sat - really looks forward to it 

9 hours ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

1973, my father was in the army and we were on holiday from Germany, it was an evening game I think against Man City or West Ham,  you could breathe the atmosphere it was electric and the BBG had a sort of mist swirling around that added to the excitement , we won both games I seem to recall, but I was young and it wa a lot time ago

13 hours ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

If there was any match that was going to sell football as a lifelong hobby then you'll be hard pressed to find a better first game than mine..

Think it was 87 or 88.

Derby County 4 Chelsea 6.

It was like one of my Brackensdale Juniors lunchtime  playground matches played out by adults. Brilliant game.

3-1 down at half time. Went 4-3 up I think, Durie got a hatrick.

Memories like this take me back to when I was really getting in to football.

You're definitely right about the scoring pattern but don't think you're are right about the hat trick. Seem to remember Dixon, Durie and Saunders all scoring two, no idea who got the others.

Also remember a very young Graeme Le Saux playing for them as a left winger.

The one I remember for the wrong reasons was the play off at Wembley , I could not get tickets so we went corporate which was about £300 each. We had our food and wine and then they tried to take the wine away, I was not having that after paying £300. So I drank the lot. I cannot remember the game but apparently McClaren was just in front of us but has to move due to a really noisy and drunk rams fan ?

Mine was August 1978 early 8th Birthday present. Coventry City away. Cov is considerably nearer to us than Derby. My Dad and I were sat with Coventry fans and he had to keep apologising for me shouting until I was hoarse.

Nish put us 1 up - that must have been a collectors item I guess

but we lost 3-1.

Only made 1 trip to BBG (largely because of distance, money and playing myself) I think it was in the last season of BBG, swindon in an evening kick off. Cannot remember the result, absolutely in awe being at the bbg. Overwhemled by the help of Derby fans walking me to the away end because I sounded like I was from Swindon.

My first match was against Southampton at the Baseball Ground in 1991. Relegation had already been confirmed and Josie Williams got a hat trick in a 6-2 win. I can remember being in the Normanton upper with a massive Maxwell advert in the corner of the ground looking up at me along with the barracking of Le Tiss from the pop side.   I had to wait until the next season for my second game, this time against Watford which also produced a Williams hat trick!

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're definitely right about the scoring pattern but don't think you're are right about the hat trick. Seem to remember Dixon, Durie and Saunders all scoring two, no idea who got the others.

Just you tubed it. I always thought Durie got a hatrick. Mother time is a devious bitch!!

Also notice it was 1990 and not 1988 as I first thought. Either way great stuff.

January 1956 v Bradford City - won 4-1. My Dad had come home from watching them the previous November and Mam asked him how they'd got on. "Lost 6-1 " he said gave me the programme and disappeared into the front room . I looked at this programme and saw that he was talking about his beloved  Derby County playing Boston United in the FA Cup and getting thrashed by what I found out was a non league team.  I wanted to know more and asked him if he would take me one day.

Fast forward to January -a short train journey from Burton to Derby- the (what was to become familiar) walk up Midland Road, along London Road , then on to Osmaston Road and finally down Shaftesbury Crescent avoiding the coal bunker gratings in front of every house. I remember in Derby being fascinated by the green trolley buses and how those poles managed to stay on the overhead wires.

We were there, people thronged everywhere, newspaper and programme sellers, shouted their products , smoke hung low everywhere from chimneys and cigarettes , rattles rotated with some noise and "Come on you Rams" was the major shout. Through the turnstiles up some stairs and out into the fresh air and Winter sunshine again and what a view. Osmaston Upper tier looking out over a football field mostly a brownish colour but with green in the corners . We looked down almost vertically on the goal at our end and could just make out the goal at the other end in the afternoon mist and smoke. 

I was hooked immediately and was yet to see a ball kicked. Dad answered everything  I asked and  I'm pretty sure my knees would have been knocking from excitement and anticipation. Only in my more recent cynical years did they stop when I watched the Rams .

Of the game itself I remember very little detail but from then on  I had new heroes . I collected every paper cutting, report programme and autograph I could lay my hands on and  became a Rams fanatic. I am happy to say that  sixty years later I am still the same, and will be there on Saturday looking forward to a new exciting season

3 minutes ago, SEAO said:

January 1956 v Bradford City - won 4-1. My Dad had come home from watching them the previous November and Mam asked him how they'd got on. "Lost 6-1 " he said gave me the programme and disappeared into the front room . I looked at this programme and saw that he was talking about his beloved  Derby County playing Boston United in the FA Cup and getting thrashed by what I found out was a non league team.  I wanted to know more and asked him if he would take me one day.

Fast forward to January -a short train journey from Burton to Derby- the (what was to become familiar) walk up Midland Road, along London Road , then on to Osmaston Road and finally down Shaftesbury Crescent avoiding the coal bunker gratings in front of every house. I remember in Derby being fascinated by the green trolley buses and how those poles managed to stay on the overhead wires.

We were there, people thronged everywhere, newspaper and programme sellers, shouted their products , smoke hung low everywhere from chimneys and cigarettes , rattles rotated with some noise and "Come on you Rams" was the major shout. Through the turnstiles up some stairs and out into the fresh air and Winter sunshine again and what a view. Osmaston Upper tier looking out over a football field mostly a brownish colour but with green in the corners . We looked down almost vertically on the goal at our end and could just make out the goal at the other end in the afternoon mist and smoke. 

I was hooked immediately and was yet to see a ball kicked. Dad answered everything  I asked and  I'm pretty sure my knees would have been knocking from excitement and anticipation. Only in my more recent cynical years did they stop when I watched the Rams .

Of the game itself I remember very little detail but from then on  I had new heroes . I collected every paper cutting, report programme and autograph I could lay my hands on and  became a Rams fanatic. I am happy to say that  sixty years later I am still the same, and will be there on Saturday looking forward to a new exciting season

Beautiful written and evocative, how envious I am of your kind who got to see our glory years!

7 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Just you tubed it. I always thought Durie got a hatrick. Mother time is a devious bitch!!

Also notice it was 1990 and not 1988 as I first thought. Either way great stuff.

Was my first season as a season ticket holder (was previously just a key club member) and the first season I started going to away matches regularly, so my memory of the time is pretty good.

Without cheating and googling it, I would guess the team that day would have been:- Shilts, Sage, Wright, Blades?, Forsyth, G Williams, Hebberd, Micklewhite, Callaghan, Harford, Saunders

Remember Deano scoring one of them headers from about 10 yards out, he got a few of them that season. 

Who scored the other goals? Will watch later!

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Was my first season as a season ticket holder (was previously just a key club member) and the first season I started going to away matches regularly, so my memory of the time is pretty good.

Without cheating and googling it, I would guess the team that day would have been:- Shilts, Sage, Wright, Blades?, Forsyth, G Williams, Hebberd, Micklewhite, Callaghan, Harford, Saunders

Remember Deano scoring one of them headers from about 10 yards out, he got a few of them that season. 

Who scored the other goals? Will watch later!

Micklewhite, Hebbard, 2 Saunders headers.

From what I saw you've done pretty well on the line up. Mighty impressive. ?

Just can't get this level of knowledge on Grindr. 

:ph34r:

Just now, IronRam 70.3 said:

Micklewhite, Hebbard, 2 Saunders headers.

From what I saw you've done pretty well on the line up. Mighty impressive. ?

Just can't get this level of knowledge on Grindr. 

:ph34r:

I don't seem to remember us using too many players that year. 

Steve Cross, Nick Pickering, Phil Gee and then a few coming through from the reserves, maybe Paul Williams, Craig Ramage and Mark Patterson.

I must get out more!

Away: 10 November 1973. Lost 0-3 at Ipswich

Boulton

Webster

Nish

Todd

McFarland

Gemmill

McGovern

Newton

Hinton

Hector

O'Hare

Home (a lot later!) 12 November 1988. Drew 2-2 with Manchester United. Goals from Hebberd and Saunders:

Shilton

Sage

Blades

Forsyth

Wright

Hebberd

McMinn

Goddard

Saunders

Callaghan

1975. Home to Spurs. W 3-1. Team? Boulton, Webster, Todd, Daniel, Nish, Rioch, Gemmell, Newton, Hector, Hinton and one I cant remember.

I still remember Rioch equaliser with a trademark thunderbolt from open play. We went 1-0 down to a breakaway goal but just carried on battering them. We were sat in the Ley Stand as it was then.

Didn't go away until 1983. Chelsea. Have much less memory of that won, we won 3-1 and I remember Gemmell scoring a twice taken penalty, the Chelsea keeper bundling a cross into his own goal and clive walker scoring for them.

Stamford Bridge was a complete dump then and a lot of it seemed to be closed off.

On 4 August 2016 at 16:35, G STAR RAM said:

Micklewhite and Hebberd the other 2 I think ? That was one if the craziest games I ever saw ! We were really going for it, went 4-3 up and were looking for a 5th and then they scored 3 more pretty quickly ! 

It was a depressing night in the Willington House Hotel that evening !!! 

28 minutes ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

Micklewhite and Hebberd the other 2 I think ? That was one if the craziest games I ever saw ! We were really going for it, went 4-3 up and were looking for a 5th and then they scored 3 more pretty quickly ! 

It was a depressing night in the Willington House Hotel that evening !!! 

Correct, I watched it on YouTube the other night, great watch!

My first match was the famous 4-0 win over Manchester City in 1977. We were moving to Canada a couple of months later and my father, who wasn't much of a football fan generally, surprised my brother and I on the Saturday morning with tickets. 

All I remember is this:

• We were seated in the last row of the upper Osmaston End. So, not a great view when the action was at the far end of the pitch!
  • My father parked what seemed like miles away and we walked to the stadium.
  • I don't remember any of the goals other than the Gerry Daly penalty when the spot had to be repainted by the groundsman. 
  • When the match was over, we waited in our seats until the Baseball Ground was virtually empty before we left and walked back to the car.

We moved to Canada in July and the Rams, as we all know, went into decline. I didn't see another match until, I'm guessing, the late 80s, against Oldham. I just remember how decrepit the stadium seemed then. To be fair, it was probably worse in 1977. The pitch certainly was!

Archived