Your first Derby game?

MK

I've just found all my old match day programmes in my parent's loft . The pick of the bunch was the programme from my first ever game: Oldham Athletic at the Baseball Ground, 28th October 1995.

I remember that day really well considering i was only 5 - the walk with my dad up to the ground, the noise when we scored and the excitement of being there. Strangely I had to Google the score though as I had no idea how it finished. 

Just wondering what everyone's first Derby game was and how well you can remember it?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first game was Newcastle at home , very blurry memories as I was only 5 ! I sat above the away fans and always remember they were chucking seats onto the pitch . Not a clue of the result but I was hooked after that day . I'd say it was roughly 1991 ! 

My first game was Stoke at home in Division 1, April 1994, so I would have been 8!

We won 4-2, and the way I remember it Paul Simspon scored direct from a corner (although it was probably an own goal being older and bitter). It's also when Tommy Johnson became my favourite player. It was the Auto Windcscreens strip with the black sleeves and stripes! 

Derby County 3 - Barnsley 2 (Gee, Davidson, Gregory)

Baseball Ground - 27th December 1986

Went with my Mum, Dad and my eldest brother's footy team.  Sat in the Toyota Stand and froze my nuts off for the whole 90 minutes.  I can still remember walking up the steps to our seats and seeing the bright green grass (where there was some) sparkling in the bright winter sun.  Gives me goosebumps even now...

Baseball ground vs Man City, I was around 6 or 7.

I think we drew 1-1 and I know for sure Dean Saunders scored a cracking volley. I'm also sure that Mak Wright hit someone or head butted someone, or got hit.  I just remember everyone singing oo Mark Wright.

My favourite player was Steve Cross, only because he was always closest to me on the wing. 

45 minutes ago, curtains said:

1966 at BBG to watch ZAC was memorable  

Cant remember my first game in the boys pen at BBG though but do remember Jeff Barrowcliffe and Frank Upton and Phil Waller etc playing  so it was before 66 and was about 1962  

great footage - O'Hare was great

1973 - Derby vs West Ham at the BBG - amazing experience - 1-1 - only 7 yrs old

Only just realised Bobby Moore was playing for the Hammers that day!

Season ticket followed for the 1973/74 season

So excited going to BBG as a boy........and always was thereafter

Derby County v Sheffield United, 20 November 1971

6 years old. Stood in the Normanton. Remember not being able to see the ball when it was at the Ossie End because of the camber in the pitch and Alan Hinton's white boots.

Score 3-0 to Derby County

League Division One

Attendance 35,326

Goals:

Alan Hinton penalty

Alan Hinton penalty

Kevin Hector

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper Colin Boulton

Right back/Wing half Ron Webster

Defender Colin Todd

Defender/Centre back Terry Hennessey

Defender/Centre back Roy McFarland

Full back John Robson

Midfielder Archie Gemmill

Midfielder John McGovern

Outside Left Alan Hinton

Forward Kevin Hector

Forward John O'Hare

My memory is very vague as I was only 6 at the time but Coventry at Home in 1997 first season at pride park (I never got the honour to go to the BBG). 

All I remember are the Sky Blue away fans in full voice I think they were in the North stand but I may be mistaken as I dont even remember the result haha,

Against Bolton in our 3rd division promotion season, up until then I had supported Liverpool like a few lads at Portway juniors. When my dad took me to Intersport to buy my first footy shirt he told me that they didn't have Liverpool so got me an England one instead. He then suggested that I went to the BBG with him, as I was happy with my new shirt I agreed, the rest they say is history!

I wouldn't change it for a second, all the crap was worth it for the Play Off win at Wembley.

There is also a few games mentioned in here that I was at.

January 1966, FA cup, Man U...  it was a birthday present from my dad, he didn't like football much but got 2 tickets as he thought i would enjoy seeing Man U with Best, Law Charlton etc, we lost 2-5 but it was 0-3 after half an hour, then derby scored 2 just before half time... the atmosphere when Derby got the ball early 2nd half and threatened to equalise was so intense i will never forget it.

I chose then to support Derby, and not be like my mates and support some 'big time charlies' lol, never looked back :)

Norwich at home on a boxing day, I think it was 1987. Norwich had a lot of quality in that team, think Dale Gordon, Robert Fleck, Ruel Fox, maybe even Steve Bruce and Mike Phelan, and possibly Cascarino, but I may be imagining that!

Archived