Richard Keogh

maydrakin

3 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

The essence of what you say is spot on.

In truth, whatever the personnel and tactics are, Derby really need to tear up this division if we are going to make a fist at surviving in the PL.

Even after his Pearson's Leicester side did exactly that, they still only just missed the drop the next season.

At best, maybe he's only good at making cakes, but no good with the icing, Ranieri  style.

Tough times ahead?

He said himself he was a good builder of teams.

I don't think you even need to tear this division apart in terms of points. Many sides have been savvy enough to get 90+ points and then struggle upon promotion having performed well in 6/10 games  in The Championship but winning 8? 

It's usually the teams that perform to a high standard over the course of a season that survive with ease, even if they don't finish top or even second. 

You can get promoted from The Championship by being ruthlessly efficient. If you're a genuinley good side though that performs for 40 games a season in The Championship then chances are the step up won't be anything you can't handle. 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, cannable said:

He said himself he was a good builder of teams.

I don't think you even need to tear this division apart in terms of points. Many sides have been savvy enough to get 90+ points and then struggle upon promotion having performed well in 6/10 games  in The Championship but winning 8? 

It's usually the teams that perform to a high standard over the course of a season that survive with ease, even if they don't finish top or even second. 

You can get promoted from The Championship by being ruthlessly efficient. If you're a genuinley good side though that performs for 40 games a season in The Championship then chances are the step up won't be anything you can't handle. 

Being "a genuinely good side" in order to go up and stay up has always been Mel Morris's guiding principle, right since he took over the club. And quite rightly so.

A yoyo team we definitely do not want to be.

What an utterly pointless exercise otherwise.

23 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

With keogh being in his last year of contract a decision needs to be made soon....surely its 1 of 3 scenarios...

1 - we offer him a new deal because we want to keep him and he wants to stay so he signs

2 - we offer a new deal but he rejects, surely this shows he doesnt want to be here so sell and cash in

3 - we dont offer a new deal so we sell and cash in

4 - He is so mortally wounded by @CastletonRam's 'joke' comment that he gives up football, moves to Sherwood Forest and takes up yogurt knitting instead of football.

6 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

Keogh is like a poor man's Mark Wright. Wholehearted and quite skilful for a CB.

But alas lightweight and impulsive too.

How can anybody possible tell how many other capable strikers Derby will face this season?

For starters, the end of August's transfer window is not yet nigh, with January's still to come.

NP has a decision to make with this guy. Either tolerate his deficiencies or get rid asap.

Remember he is already a mature player, so for Pearson's to try refashioning him in his own image as a stalwart defender may well prove impossible.   

I'd actually say Keogh is like a reasonably well off man's Mark Wriight. Wright was an incredible footballer, best defender in the country in his day and vastly underrated. Without Keogh's ability to carry the ball forward a little a la Wright we would be much the poorer.

I'm not sure I'd swap Keogh for anyone in the Championship. Some have mentioned Dunk on here but I really wouldn't want such an idiot of a centreback who crashed recklessly and needlessly into Bryson knowing he'd be suspended for the promotion decider against Boro and the first playoff game afterwards. Defenders do need brains and Dunk has none.

At Leicester Pearson had better defenders but woorse footballers. But the defenders improved under him, even when already mature. I'm hoping Keogh's already decent defensive capabilities will improve while we continue make use of his footballing skills.

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd actually say Keogh is like a reasonably well off man's Mark Wriight. Wright was an incredible footballer, best defender in the country in his day and vastly underrated. Without Keogh's ability to carry the ball forward a little a la Wright we would be much the poorer.

I'm not sure I'd swap Keogh for anyone in the Championship. Some have mentioned Dunk on here but I really wouldn't want such an idiot of a centreback who crashed recklessly and needlessly into Bryson knowing he'd be suspended for the promotion decider against Boro and the first playoff game afterwards. Defenders do need brains and Dunk has none.

At Leicester Pearson had better defenders but woorse footballers. But the defenders improved under him, even when already mature. I'm hoping Keogh's already decent defensive capabilities will improve while we continue make use of his footballing skills.

Oh my God this. 

What people don't seem to realise is that though there are many better out-and-out defenders at this level it was Keogh's unconventional skill set that was absolutely pivotal to the way in which Clough, McClaren and Clement wanted their teams to play. 

Billy Davies' Derby side would have been worse with Keogh at the back, McClaren's Derby side would have been worse with Darren Moore at the back. 

1 hour ago, Robbie Ram said:

Being "a genuinely good side" in order to go up and stay up has always been Mel Morris's guiding principle, right since he took over the club. And quite rightly so.

A yoyo team we definitely do not want to be.

What an utterly pointless exercise otherwise.

WBA were considered to be one of the best examples of a yo-yo club but what the increase in income allowed them to do was steadily improve their squad rather than have a fire sale following relegation which most sides dropping out of the Premiership have done. Burnley have also got themselves back into the Premiership but unless they strike a better balance between stashing the money away and investing in 2 or 3 quality players following promotion then there a real chance they'll come back down again and may not be so successful in securing a quick return next season.

1 minute ago, swadieram said:

Not me! did'nt rate him before wembly! and still dont!  we wont go up with him as captain !

Clough rated him

MCclaren rated him

Clement rated him

Pearson rates him

O'neil rates him

And you think it's his fault we're not in the prem?

Archived