3 at the back

Rample

Just contemplating 3 at the back. Do you think we have the personnel or is it something we'd have to go out and buy a sweeper-esque player for? We have a few ball playing midfielders we could move back but it would probably be a waste of their talents.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3-5-2?

Fast system of playing defence to attack, favoured a few years ago by some teams.

With 3 at the back, Keogh, Shacks and the third CB or sweeper would need to be a pacey player.

Two up front, yes we have the players up top.

Personally, I do like this system we would possibly need a quality CB to team up with Keogh and Shacks.

8 minutes ago, toddy said:

I would rather see Fossie in at left wing back [part of the 5 in a 3-5-2]

Yeah I agree, but with forsyth there could have Olsen left wing back.

Starting to warm to the idea of 352 actually. Our wide attackers all seem better playing central and our best wide men are the fullbacks.

We have the players to do it. 

Carson

Keogh shackell forsyth

Christie olsson

Bryson Thorne hughes  ...Hendrick/Butterfield/Johnson

Martin Ince/Russell

It would also be simple to revert back to 4-3-3 with one sub change in Olsson or Forsyth. Even do it without a substitution. It may just be the formation we are looking for. We need to be able to attack at pace. We need to make the pitch as big as possible. We need to suppress counter attacks. We need to offer Martin support. We need to easily shift our formation instead of having to rely on a double sub at the 65 minute mark. It would also allow Thorne to play further up the pitch. 

25 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

When we played it in the mid 90's early 00's didn't we play with one in behind the front two? Biaino, Kinkladze esq? That could suit Ince. 

Yep it started with Simmo or Willems behind the front two, with Carsley and Van Der Laan anchoring the midfield.

It's a flexible system and a good alternative to the 4-3-3 with the players we have. It's a better fit for us than say 4-4-2

Wales played it at the Euro's to great effect. Looking at it, it does accommodate the players we currently have, but it is a formation which requires a lot learning, especially for the 3 centre halves and wing backs. Do we have the time for that? Remember us trying at at home to Chesterfield in the cup last year at the ipro. Raul's debut if I'm correct? A lot of confused faces that first half. Could certainly be an option though don't get me wrong!

1 minute ago, dajstrawb said:

Wales played it at the Euro's to great effect. Looking at it, it does accommodate the players we currently have, but it is a formation which requires a lot learning, especially for the 3 centre halves and wing backs. Do we have the time for that? Remember us trying at at home to Chesterfield in the cup last year at the ipro. Raul's debut if I'm correct? A lot of confused faces that first half. Could certainly be an option though don't get me wrong!

A couple of days vs a full pre season might help that

1 hour ago, The 1884 Group said:

Carson

Keogh shackell forsyth

Christie olsson

Bryson Thorne hughes

Martin weimann

Looks good to me, obviously lots of options for change in midfield though, and where does it leave Johnny and Ince?

I think Russell could *possibly* play a wing back, he's got enough defensive work rate and gets forward enough to do so, just a question of his defensive qualities, but plenty of wingers play wing back, Ashley Young, elmohamody. Robbie Brady to name a few

ince could probably play in the front two, or as one of the midfielders, just moved p to play behind the front two.

also would Keogh not be the sweeper? He's mobile, aggressive enough and can pass a ball

Archived