Jeff Hendrick - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to be growing pressure being put on him to move - mainly from Irish websites and fans who are convinced that he is Premier League (or Celtic) material.

49 minutes ago, jono said:

It depends to my mind on two things 

1) does he want to go ? Well anyone would want to play Prem football given the chance but is Burnley somewhere he would like to go ?

2) price .. Derby don't need to sell but everyone has a price. Surely this has to be somewhere between what we paid for Johnson and Butterfleld given their respective perigee and potential .. So somewhere between 4 and 6 million

simple as that 

Where's a better shop window, premier league with Burnley or our bench? One good season there and he'll be £10m plus. I'd take a lower fee for a good sell on clause.

29 minutes ago, eddie said:

There seems to be growing pressure being put on him to move - mainly from Irish websites and fans who are convinced that he is Premier League (or Celtic) material.

Surely he won't drop to that level..League 2 equivalent in England???????

Honestly we shouldn't be looking to entertain anything under £6 million in the current market. Burnley value Michael Keane at £20 million ffs and Cook from Leeds has just moved for silly money. 

My opinion will never change of Jeff unfortunately, which is that he will never progress beyond a decent, mid table championship midfielder. He's talented, no doubt about it and he had a good tournament but he's to inconsistent. How many times have we seen him play out of his skin one game only to go missing for the next 5. 

He lacks the football intelligence to be able to progress to the next level, if he does move to a Burnley or Middlesbrough, premier league midfielders would tear him to shreds, he would be out thought and out matched 9 times out of 10.

i hope he proves me wrong, I really do. I'd love to be able to come back on here in a few months time and admit he's totally proved me wrong but I just can't see it.

£ 6 million or above and we'd be silly to turn it down. 

7 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Honestly we shouldn't be looking to entertain anything under £6 million in the current market. Burnley value Michael Keane at £20 million ffs and Cook from Leeds has just moved for silly money. 

My opinion will never change of Jeff unfortunately, which is that he will never progress beyond a decent, mid table championship midfielder. He's talented, no doubt about it and he had a good tournament but he's to inconsistent. How many times have we seen him play out of his skin one game only to go missing for the next 5. 

He lacks the football intelligence to be able to progress to the next level, if he does move to a Burnley or Middlesbrough, premier league midfielders would tear him to shreds, he would be out thought and out matched 9 times out of 10.

i hope he proves me wrong, I really do. I'd love to be able to come back on here in a few months time and admit he's totally proved me wrong but I just can't see it.

£ 6 million or above and we'd be silly to turn it down. 

He's a better player than Bradley Johnson, and has much more potential given his age.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

He's a better player than Bradley Johnson, and has much more potential given his age.

I'm of the same belief, Hendrick for me is all about as yet untapped potential, still plenty of time on side with a good coach to guide him AND he's already got 200 championship games under his belt and now an established international for the foreseeable.

No slight on Johnson, totally hypothetical I know but just wonder if he would be a regular in the Irish team? 

Let someone break the bank IF Nige wants to cash in, if it gives us FFP manoeuvring/ wriggle room to bring top talent that will go straight into the team, otherwise give him until at least Christmas to see where we are at. 

We don't need to sell and piss poor bids can take a running jump.

11 hours ago, Charlie George said:

@bodenknights reporting Burnley had £4 million bid for Dale Stephens turned down.

Personal opinion but £5 million plus add ons seals the Hendrick deal.Good player (on his day) but massively inconsistent and very rarely puts together two good performances on the bounce.

Squad needs balancing out and I think we need to sell to buy.

They've just been given a windfall, 4m is frankly laughable for a player like Stephens (technically astute a la Hughes, which is rare).  I hope they drop like a stone.   

18 hours ago, LesterRam said:

no but lets keep him in the team in the same position, I think I remember him even taking up the right back birth briefly :huh:

regarding the "consistent midfielders" really, do you read the posts on this forum? Bradley Johnson has been quoted as "probably the worst midfielder" and the "easily the best midfielder in the championship" in the same thread :lol:

And I wouldn't consider Johnson consistent...

Thorne, Hughes, Bryson and even Butterfield I would though... Although admittedly I might pick Hendrick over Butterfield sometimes...

30 minutes ago, Srg said:

I don't think it's about potential . We've seen how good he can be . It's about maintaining that ability and level of performance consistently. 

2 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I don't think it's about potential . We've seen how good he can be . It's about maintaining that ability and level of performance consistently. 

Think it's another general perception. Call it the Ince Phenomena... whereby it doesn't really matter who's played worse in any given game, he will still be said to be crap.

17 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Johnson's consistent alright. Really takes something to be able to mishit passes like that week in, week out.

That's unfair... I saw him hit a couple of balls which arrived at their target... 

44 minutes ago, Srg said:

Think it's another general perception. Call it the Ince Phenomena... whereby it doesn't really matter who's played worse in any given game, he will still be said to be crap.

What's the general perception ? About his consistency? Don't think it's a perception .

6 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

What's the general perception ? About his consistency? Don't think it's a perception .

It is, Bryson did bugger all for about 5 games at the end of last season, and no one says a thing. Just like Johnny Russell for about 3 months straight... but if Ince, Hendrick or Christie have a bad half everyone pipes up.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

It is, Bryson did bugger all for about 5 games at the end of last season, and no one says a thing. Just like Johnny Russell for about 3 months straight... but if Ince, Hendrick or Christie have a bad half everyone pipes up.

Amen!

Trouble is teams like Burnley & Hull can now offer Hendrick Premier League football and trips to Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge - even if only one season - instead of games at the Pirelli Stadium and the New York Stadium.

And definitely better wages at Hull.

Archived