Which Pundits Like from Euros

Van der MoodHoover

Have to say I prefer listening to slaven bilic and  (when he's on) Lothar matthaus on ITV to shearer et al. 

Peter crouch a bit of an odd choice for Slovakia game though.

What say you fellow rams?  Any time for TV pundits or should they all be humanely destroyed by a lethal injection of horse tranquiliser in the back of the neck? :thumbsup:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bilic is probably my favourite on ITV, Thierry Henry for BBC. Henry isn't great but both him and Bilic probably have the most knowledge of the teams and individual players. As for the commentators, Clive Tyldesley is terrible for ITV as is Jonathan Pearce for BBC. Both think they're hilarious when in fact it's a cringfest listening to their commentary.

There's not been a decent pundit since Brian Clough, and even he was outdone by a clown once! (Vs Poland for you who weren't around in 1974). 

I used to enjoy Best and Marsh but they rarely talked about the match which was taking place!

Reckon Pierluigi Collina would be a pundit worth listening to.

17 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

There's not been a decent pundit since Brian Clough, and even he was outdone by a clown once! (Vs Poland for you who weren't around in 1974). 

I used to enjoy Best and Marsh but they rarely talked about the match which was taking place!

Reckon Pierluigi Collina would be a pundit worth listening to.

The 1970s were a golden age of pundits. Possibly because England were never in the tournaments so they never got distracted from letting rip

Derek Dougan Mick channon and malcolm allison also entertained. Mainly by talking nonsense in inpenetrable regional accents. 

Bilic and then nobody.

Half of them named France winners before they kicked a ball.

Kevin Kilbane thinks it's a disgrace a defender can be a yard out of position. 

And Martin Keown.... Oh my god. He's only ever seen Arsenal play. 

Actually from what I've seen of Saha he seems alright? Not too harsh. Talks about mentality of players which is an actual insight rather than Glenn Hoddle telling us that it was a foul. Thanks Glenn, wasn't sure.

Bilic, very good. Ian wright is OK and Lee Dixon isn't too bad.

Most of the ex-footballer types, Shearer et al, are appalling and their complete lack of knowledge of anything outside the Premier League is embarrassing to me.

As for commentators, have never liked Jonathan Pearce, bloody appalling fat squeaky bloke voice irritates me. 

Where's the modern day Motty?

The local pundit for the Iceland games is a former player.  The man can drive me up the wall with his hysterics, he gets excited by throw ins and heaven forbid if we string three passes together towards the opposition goal, then he's like a tourette sufferer on stimulants.  My nerves can't take the guy but the problem is, i am horribly superstitious.  Watched the first half of Iceland VS Portugal on BBC or ITV, can't remember which and we were a goal down at halftime so i switched over to the maniac to do my bit for the team and we equalized.  Thought my eardrums would explode when we scored.  Am so nervous before the Austria game tomorrow that i don't dare go to another channel now. Not easy being me sometimes but i am taking a few for the team.

16 hours ago, McLovin said:

Bilic is probably my favourite on ITV, Thierry Henry for BBC. Henry isn't great but both him and Bilic probably have the most knowledge of the teams and individual players. As for the commentators, Clive Tyldesley is terrible for ITV as is Jonathan Pearce for BBC. Both think they're hilarious when in fact it's a cringfest listening to their commentary.

Bilic is great.

I see why people don't like Jonathan Pearce but I've been unable to dislike him since Robot Wars. 

Bilic has been the stand out for me, great insight and full of passion, whereas Shearer could put me to sleep.  Danny Murphy and Jenas are very good though.  Overall, I's say the BBC's coverage is a lot better.  Both shows have crap theme music though.  There's nothing close to Nesun Dorma for stirring the emotions before kick off...

Archived