Aww poor Nigel

rynny

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-burton-albion-boss-nigel-clough-regrets-leaving-brewers-for-rams/story-29413007-detail/story.html

NIGEL Clough admits he regrets leaving Burton Albion for Derby County in 2009 - and is delighted to have finally achieved what he and his staff missed out on first time around.

When Clough made the tough decision to join the Rams in January of that year, Albion were 13 points clear of Histon at the top of the Conference.

Ultimately, the Brewers went to the Football League and Clough – having returned to the Pirelli Stadium – won promotion to the Championship with the club in May.

But that potential second promotion and missing out on the chance to take Albion to the Football League – which the Brewers achieved under Roy McFarland – is a regret for Clough.

"Leaving was an incredibly difficult decision and one, in many ways, I've always regretted – just not seeing it through.

"It was the chairman (Ben Robinson), ironically, who said at the time 'it's a great opportunity and you've got to go'.

"We worked our socks off for four-and-a-half years down the road and got kicked out anyway."

32 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

"It was the chairman (Ben Robinson), ironically, who said at the time 'it's a great opportunity and you've got to go'.

"We worked our socks off for four-and-a-half years down the road and got kicked out anyway."

EPIC sour grapes... Just epic... Never slag off a former employer like that no matter how bad you thought it was... Shows a real lack of class and utter gracelessness...

22 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

EPIC sour grapes... Just epic... Never slag off a former employer like that no matter how bad you thought it was... Shows a real lack of class and utter gracelessness...

He never had any class , used to slag players off in public which is really poor .

Don't know the truth of it but shared a train back from Charlton with a guy from west london who said he'd done a bit of scouting in the past.

He categorically stated that when Sam rush sacked nigel plus team, he also barred them from all derby county property as part of the settlement. 

If true then seems very ungracious of the club and is also going to colour nigels views of dcfc. 

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Don't know the truth of it but shared a train back from Charlton with a guy from west london who said he'd done a bit of scouting in the past.

He categorically stated that when Sam rush sacked nigel plus team, he also barred them from all derby county property as part of the settlement. 

If true then seems very ungracious of the club and is also going to colour nigels views of dcfc. 

I wonder if that included the Zan's Fish Bar truck outside the North stand?  Kick in the swingers if it did.

Soon as i saw it I thought "that'll summon the Nigel haters".

I always got the impression that things ended quite sour, which was a shame, but on the other hand, you can't argue with the rest of the season.

Nigel did OK in regards to "austerity football" and there's not many clubs would have stuck with him the way we did (although i always put forward, given the finances and so on we could, and most likely would have, gone through manager after manager in those years and not been appreciably better for it).

We've moved on and Nigel's managing a championship club once again. Hope we put a rugby score past Burton though.

5 hours ago, cheron85 said:

What part of that statement is 'slagging off'?

Meh, he was always gonna have some regret because of the timing when he left burton. Only if he got Derby promoted he could say 'no regrets'.

i take the last line in it as just his humour really. He was always a bit deadpan.

i think it's a local paper trying to spin a story to get a few extra clicks rather than anything to take too seriously 

9 minutes ago, bcnram said:

What part of that statement is 'slagging off'?

"Got kicked out anyway"

Moving managers on is a fairly commonplace occurance in football and the way he frames the statement leaves no doubt of his poor feelings about it... Framing it in that way is a not very subtle dig at the club...

I always loved Nigel and thought he was great... Why this tastes even more bitter...

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

"Got kicked out anyway"

Moving managers on is a fairly commonplace occurance in football and the way he frames the statement leaves no doubt of his poor feelings about it... Framing it in that way is a not very subtle dig at the club...

I always loved Nigel and thought he was great... Why this tastes even more bitter...

That is hardly slagging them off is it?

Zero class. He's gone down in my estimations, yet funnily enough I'm not at all surprised he's decided to have a dig. A better man would have kept his trap shut. You can't even excuse him for saying it in the heat of the moment - it's been almost 3 years! Pathetic.

And politics aside he should be proud of what he achieved at Derby. He kept us alive during a very turbulent time and brought a bit of identity back to the club. I'll always be thankful for what he did for us.

Guaranteed himself a few more boos at the iPro, that's for sure. Shame because he deserves a better reception for his services to the club.

The mardy git.

Sith Happens

This is hardly in the same class as Billy's 'I wish it had been preston'. I read the article as saying nothing more than he regrets not being part of the promotion. 

I have heard from someone who had a car journey with Martin Taylor not long after they left that they did feel unhappy with how they were treated, that's fine in my view, I feel unhappy with how I was treated by my ex employer, its a normal reaction.

I will still clap him, then hope his team lose to us.

Again we miss the point don't we !!

He worked his socks off with no money and bargain basement buys or virtually  !!

I think what rattles Nigel he got the club out of trouble got them on an even footing but was never given real money to make a drastic change they didn't have 100% faith in him after all the hard work.Yes he had over 4 years but its damn hard to get anywhere with no money but it is possible I agree.

Did he have the money that Schteve immediately got, or did he get the money clement got, did he get the money pearson will get , WOULD HAVE BEEN INTERESTING IF HE HAD !!

And I will say this DO NOT be surprised to see Burton wallop us on the day , Nigel has a good record in cup matches and trust me I think beating burton will be a lot harder than beating forest this season , no matter where Burton end up in the league.And this match will be just like a cup match

If Nigel avoids the sack this season and keeps them in the championship it will be a major major achievement , but I suppose most on here will cheer his every loss, theres somes sad folks around here there really is. And I would like to see Sir Alex keep Burton in the championship this year or any manager for that matter.

Rightly or wrongly his sacking was, how many managers feel they wasn't given enough money, enough time and leave feeling hard done by? Welcome to football management Nigel.

Had this been the following week, month from the sacking it would be understandable, having a pop now at Derby where he left 3 years ago and already been sacked by another club, really?

Needs to move on, I've not heard Paul Clement moaning, McClaren never even spoke of regret joining Derby. All a bit childish really which is a shame.

Archived