Aww poor Nigel

rynny

Like banging your head against the wall reading this thread, every Nigel Clough thread is just the same argument. Yes he did a good job from where we started out bit he reached his limit. He had a good run. The end

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/18/2016 at 09:22, ronnieronalde said:

Dawkins cost 275k

Thorne cost 3m

Christie cost at least 900k

Shotton I'm led to believe was closer to 1.5m than 500k.

Steve spent more in three windows than Clough did in his entire time at the club.

Dawkins was initially on loan in any case.

275k peanuts compared to the money wasted by NLN on Sammon

To say people are obsessed with him is a bit daft, he was with us for over 4 years so there's a lot to debate there, not like he was here fleetingly is it? 

Anyway, he gave us Connor Sammon, that fact alone means he has turd for brains 

11 hours ago, Alex W said:

It's barely a comment, is it? 

We had numerous loanees from those clubs in Nigel's time period so that doesn't ring true. Fair point on Hendrie, I was mistaken on the deal, a good example of a player we'd never sink to grabbing now were he available and at the level of play that he was then however. 

I can only assume that the increase in funds were due to Mel's introduction, given he has openly said he's Chairman because he was the only person involved with enough financial clout who could write off the debts we had. The club decided Nigel wasn't up to it while that turnover happened.

The wage bill took a very clear hike when McLaren arrived. Either those funds weren't available before because they didn't exist or had been held back because they didn't believe in Nigel. Either way, there is an obvious difference in what each manager had to work with.

Thorne was a £3m signing, Nigel never made one of those for a start. The £1m is unfair to use as Shackell was sold for the fee used for Keogh. That is a net of £1m on the first purchase of Shackell. I agree it's likely that we may not have made Wembley that year with Nigel, though had he had the expenditure that Clement/McLaren had I'm curious as to how he'd have chosen to spend it

Once again, hence my title.

Loans in Clough's time from the main teams in top 4  (from memory) Man Utd & Chelsea = 0 Liverpool = 2 (Ayala & Jones) Arsenal = 1 (Sunu) Man City = 1 (Vidal) 2011 was the last time one of those clubs loaned a player to us over 2 years!! Hardly numerous loans.

There was always the line from Nigel that the money is there should we need to sign anyone. One of the reasons Sam Rush said was to improve our relationships with other clubs, to me that says clubs didn't want to deal with us and the only change from clubs not dealing with us to them dealing with us is the management team.

But the point is the increase in money for McClaren came after we had increased the income through performance on the pitch. We were able to spend £2-3m on Thorne because we got to Wembley. He didn't have those increase in funds immediately, which was my original point. The money used to buy Keogh was the money we got from Shackell's sale, so why did he buy Shackell in the first place? Why not just buy Keogh instead of buying Shackell and binning him after 1 year? He still spent that money, doesn't matter where it came from.

Clough did a decent job with the resources he had available. He set the foundations. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't forget that a lot of his players are still arguably our most important players like Keogh, Shackell(before he left and came back), Forsyth, Martin, Bryson whilst other players like Russell are still in and around the starting 11. He also gradually introduced the likes of Hughes and Hendrick. His contribution and influence shouldn't be forgotten or put down.

On 6/18/2016 at 09:22, ronnieronalde said:

Dawkins cost 275k

Thorne cost 3m

Christie cost at least 900k

Shotton I'm led to believe was closer to 1.5m than 500k.

Steve spent more in three windows than Clough did in his entire time at the club.

Wasn't around this weekend but had to jump on this:

Firstly, Christie cost us less than £100k but he has a "large" sell-on clause in the contract, this was explained pretty explicitly by City's development director at the time.

Dawkins actually cost us closer to £500k.

Thorne cost us slightly less than £2m

Shotton was less than £750k

Some people like to put down the work,put in to Derby after the relegation from the premier league,and dont recognise 

or comprehend the mess this club was in  ,unstable and in a financial mess.  The board,C-E=O Pearson then Glick.

Brought in Nigel Clough to restructure the club, in 2013 this club,was stable financially,and the academy players were  

coming through,and the club had a very good squad of players,,A major force of this turn around, down to Nigel Clough.

And many Derby fans will always defend the job,he and the others did at a low time in our history,

The club we watch today with millions spent on players,wages through the roof,does  not     compare to shopping in the bargain basement,.,A player worth 6 million,5 million,3 million,the mind boggles in a derby shirt,.

Still in the championship  3 years after our move to the next level,,,,,Glad we woke up and appointed  a manager again,

Well done Mel,,,

23 hours ago, trevor1946 said:

Some people like to put down the work,put in to Derby after the relegation from the premier league,and dont recognise 

or comprehend the mess this club was in  ,unstable and in a financial mess.  The board,C-E=O Pearson then Glick.

Brought in Nigel Clough to restructure the club, in 2013 this club,was stable financially,and the academy players were  

coming through,and the club had a very good squad of players,,A major force of this turn around, down to Nigel Clough.

And many Derby fans will always defend the job,he and the others did at a low time in our history,

The club we watch today with millions spent on players,wages through the roof,does  not     compare to shopping in the bargain basement,.,A player worth 6 million,5 million,3 million,the mind boggles in a derby shirt,.

Still in the championship  3 years after our move to the next level,,,,,Glad we woke up and appointed  a manager again,

Well done Mel,,,

Exactly! He was perfect for us at the time. Not given enough praise imo for the foundations he left here.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 17:55, HantsRam said:

He categorically stated that when Sam rush sacked nigel plus team, he also barred them from all derby county property as part of the settlement. 

Does that include the away manager's dugout at PPS?

Could be interesting next season if so!

Archived