Muhammad Ali

Day

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

RIP. What a year.

quite. May he rest in piece.

been a hell of a year, all these long standing celebs leaving us, it really was a golden generation of true celebrities that have dominated their respected fields. We don't have many new celebrities appearing with such stature or presence

I loved him since I was a little kid. I was always angry for the decision that took 3,5 years of his great career when he was at his best. The world of boxing lost so much in and out of the ring for thar decision.

I will always consider him as the greatist.

RIP ALI.

A Great boxer, one of the best. Elevated the sport and did just as much out of the ring. Very clever guy 

'Ive wrestled with allagators, ive tussled with a whale, ive done handcuffed lightening thrown thunder in jail, you know im bad, just last week i murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick, im so bad i make medicine sick"

He fought so many causes outside the ring over the years when Champions were very much needed. Never afraid to stand by his beliefs . He earned and deserved  so much respect both within and outside the world of boxing. 

This is the bit about growing older (or up) that I don’t enjoy.  The death of important parts of your life.  

In 1964 I listened to a scratchy radio broadcast of the Sonny Liston fight from America late at night when I should have been in bed asleep; feeling let down by his refusal to fight in Vietnam only years later to work out that he was right; the first Muslim in my consciousness; rushing home from the pub to watch the fights and the Parkinson interviews; the Rumble in the Jungle and Thrilla in Manilla; three different world championship titles at times when the opposition was significant and there was only one belt, one world champion, no cheap titles; the beauty of the man and his mouth, especially in the early days, later the sheer bravery and finally the stupidity to carry on beyond the time he should have stopped.

Like only the very great sportsmen, rather than the over hyped, his name became a byword - ‘Ali’ was only one person - as Nicklaus or Bradman, maybe Messi or Ronaldo

Brave and brilliant and dazzling in the ring, brave out of it in standing up for his beliefs when it would have been easier not to. So many memories. A colossus.

Archived