Muhammad Ali

David

For those of you who aren't aware of the Ali Clough clip:

Looking at the date it's the week Clough resigned from Derby.

Ali was the only boxer in my young consciousness and a great man in what he did beyond boxing. Very courageous to be in his position and refuse to go to Vietnam and speak out as to why. He floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee. #RIP

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He roped the dope and now he's floating like a butterfly

He had spirit like few others and combined with a gentle heart and loyalty to his convictions

A true warrior, an inspiration which time will never erase

I didn't agree with everything he said (specifically he was vehemently against mixed race marriages), but he was a legend not just in sport but in the entire human realm and achieved so much that we can forgive him the things he said that we disagree with

17 hours ago, Cisse said:

Ali's comments were given in time that is totally different world we live in now. His opinions might have changed in the last decades.

I'd hope so yes. I also think he came across as doing it to be purposely outspoken like there was an expectation on him to do so, but imagine if a black celebrity said such a thing now? The media would have a field day

Things have really changed haven't they ? Last week I was driving with my friend and we passed a place we used to play at when we were something like 8-12 years old. We were told that playing on those hills was not safe since the area were filled with "homos" that were just waiting to beat us up and stick it into our asses. For a long time we were pretty much against gay people.

A lot of things we were thought as a kid have changed. A lot of opinions have changed too. Some things unfortunately will not change ever. Fortunately some will.

I will miss Ali. That will never change.

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I'd hope so yes. I also think he came across as doing it to be purposely outspoken like there was an expectation on him to do so, but imagine if a black celebrity said such a thing now? The media would have a field day

He was in the Nation of Islam, thats what Elijah Mohammed taught them.

Im sure in recent years his beliefs became much less radicalised and as @Cisse said, it was a different time back then where it was easy to hate white people and wish to never have their bloodline mixed due to racism

Ali was my all time hero.

I may be 18 but I know almost everything about the man.

At work I have a picture of him against Sonny Liston, it reminds me of the man I want to be; a man who is confident, fearless, true to himself, loving, caring, funny and able to withstand the world to maintain his beliefs and personality.

The man who has no imagination has no wings.

RIP Ali, enjoy kicking back with Joe and Angelo

Archived