Thorne & Hughes

Carnero

Can Will Hughes and/or George Thorne fit into a Nigel Pearson 4-4-2?

I have my doubts.

Would it be wrong to cash in on Will this summer?

It's very possible that our Nigel Pearson central midfield will be 2 from Johnson, Hendrick, Bryson, Butterfield & Hanson.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Nigel Pearson can't work out how to use our best player then he shouldn't be in the job. I don't believe for a second that he's daft enough to sell unless Hughes he requests the transfer.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Maybe I should start a topic on if Nigel Pearson only knows one, prehistoric, flat, formation in 4-4-2, last employed in 1995 like our fans seem to think.

It's not their fault they only have the original Commodore 64 version of Football Manager.

I think that Thorne and Hughes will be Pearson's first choice midfield, as long as Thorne can get injury free and up his overall fitness. Under 442 both central midfielders need to be able to do a bit of everything, but their defensive duties are critical with the wingers providing the real movement. Chris Powell rates butterfield highly, and Bradley Johnson (or the version that first arrived) is a pretty good all rounder. I would say that Bryson will be gone - there'll be no place for a box to box man who can't tackle. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hendrick moved on either. So a central midfield 'squad' of Hughes, Thorne, Johnson and Butterfield, with Hanson as backup - the latter's adaptability may well see him on the bench for most matches.

Do reckon some of our current team will go, whether that is either Thorne [injury prone] and Hughes [worth a few quid]- we'll have to see.

NP will know doubt know who he would like to bring into the mix.

Will Chris Martin be one to go?

One for certain both Thorne and Hughes can play in any formation NP wants to play, they are both gifted.

21 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think that Thorne and Hughes will be Pearson's first choice midfield, as long as Thorne can get injury free and up his overall fitness. Under 442 both central midfielders need to be able to do a bit of everything, but their defensive duties are critical with the wingers providing the real movement. Chris Powell rates butterfield highly, and Bradley Johnson (or the version that first arrived) is a pretty good all rounder. I would say that Bryson will be gone - there'll be no place for a box to box man who can't tackle. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hendrick moved on either. So a central midfield 'squad' of Hughes, Thorne, Johnson and Butterfield, with Hanson as backup - the latter's adaptability may well see him on the bench for most matches.

Good post like always Cornwall, I'm always curious reading your views because you have similar views to myself and I've been keeping an eye on your posts since viewing the other derby forum(I promise I'm not a stalker :D)  That midfield is tasty but on reflection I don't think we will get rid of both Hendrick and Bryson unless we get someone in like Matty James who we have been linked with. The reason I say that is because the 4-4-2 formation is very demanding on the 2 cms which means that they are more likely to pick up knocks, which is a bit concerning considering both Hughes and Thorne when he returns) will have come off serious injuries. Thus, we will need as many centre mid options as possible for rotation as there is more chance that the centre mids will pick up injuries and suspensions because the centre mids need to be aggressive in this formation

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Good post like always Cornwall, I'm always curious reading your views because you have similar views to myself and I've been keeping an eye on your posts since viewing the other derby forum(I promise I'm not a stalker :D)  That midfield is tasty but on reflection I don't think we will get rid of both Hendrick and Bryson unless we get someone in like Matty James who we have been linked with. The reason I say that is because the 4-4-2 formation is very demanding on the 2 cms which means that they are more likely to pick up knocks, which is a bit concerning considering both Hughes and Thorne when he returns) will have come off serious injuries. Thus, we will need as many centre mid options as possible for rotation as there is more chance that the centre mids will pick up injuries and suspensions because the centre mids need to be aggressive in this formation

That's a good point, especially when you consider that Thorne will only just be returning to training as the season starts. It'll probably be Christmas before he's fully match fit.

Archived