Under 23s & Academy 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, SaintRam said:

There's that lad Cresswell again, gonna keep my eye on him this season. 

He's very highly rated. All of the top premier league teams have been chasing him but like Hughes he sees his immediate future at Derby. 

This is pretty great, being in a European competition. U21s are getting close to getting more of my attention than the first team :lol:

On 7/26/2016 at 18:16, BurtonRam7 said:

I'm going to try to go down to some U18 games this season, as my mate from primary and secondary school is a first year goalkeeper scholar (Joe Fryatt). Do you know if they allow the public to watch U18 games or is it behind closed doors at Moor Farm? 

Has been free and open to everyone up to now, but check with Club if you need to do so.

On 7/27/2016 at 15:34, Anon said:

How can you possibly know this? Not a single game has been played or a single attendance recorded under the new model and many lower league fans are planning to boycott the tournament.

carl sagan said I thought it was well known the competition was really struggling. In this piece on the new format,http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36902612

The CEO of the Football League is Shaun Harvey. From the linked piece:

'Harvey said that the primary reason for changing the format of the competition was for it to "survive".

'He continued: "We've used that opportunity to try to ensure we get ourselves in a position where there's some good from a player development prospective.

'"The advent of additional prize money and the change in structure will also mean it should be financially beneficial to our clubs as well."'

If any U23 players are going to make the first team, they will need relevant competitive games. They are now in Division One, they are in the EFL and they are in a European Competition. They cannot really do better than that because apart from loaning them out, they get to play against the best teams available. In the two Cup competitions they start with a minii league of four teams then it is knockout games so they have to be winning to stay in the Competition.

Minimum number of games to be played is League - 22. EFL - 3 Euros - 3

Not Sure if Division One and Two also have a knockout Cup, it did last year. U21s were in two Cups last year.

9 minutes ago, David said:

A poll on the OVF website has revealed that 85% of fans who voted will not attend Port Vale’s Football League Trophy game against a Derby County B side.

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2016/07/85-of-port-vale-fans-wont-attend-trophy-game-against-derby-county-b-side/

Not quite as bad as the stat suggests... It says 64% of their fans wouldn't go to ANY of the EFL Trophy games...

52 minutes ago, David said:

A poll on the OVF website has revealed that 85% of fans who voted will not attend Port Vale’s Football League Trophy game against a Derby County B side.

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2016/07/85-of-port-vale-fans-wont-attend-trophy-game-against-derby-county-b-side/

42 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Not quite as bad as the stat suggests... It says 64% of their fans wouldn't go to ANY of the EFL Trophy games...

Only 23 people voted :ph34r:

I'm a bit miffed that I went to watch the under 23s at Ilkeston this afternoon and so missed the live stream of the first team. I could have stayed at home, saved myself a fiver and hopefully have seen some better football!

They lost 1-0.

Under 23s started brightly and showed some lovely passing but with no end product. They are seriously missing Zanzala up front.

After half time Ilkeston got into them and allowed them no time to play and it rattled them. 

Once Ilkeston scored they saw the game out well.

Rawson looked good first half as did Santos. Elsnik started brightly then began to give the ball away. Hanson was down for quite a while after one challenge and holding his shoulder but he carried on. 

Can't comment on the goal as I was in the opposite corner of the pitch to where the build-up play was but it came down the side where Santos played. Not such a good view as North Stand!

Elsnik (after being subbed and then coming back on) had a couple of long-range shots near end as did Guy - one cracker went high but no really strong chances for an equaliser.

Callum Guy came on as a sub btw. I thought he was a mainstay of the team last year - has he been injured? 

I went as well. Pretty dreadful, in all honesty. I know it was pre season but that is seriously worrying when you consider they'll be playing against League Clubs' first teams. Ilkeston's team was practically as young too. 

Only 2 which come out with any kind of credit were Rawson and Vernam for me. 

Little mini article on Zanzala from PL. Doesn't say anything most of us dont know but still good hes getting acknowledgement for his work last season.

Archived