Under 23s & Academy 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/08/2016 at 20:52, Papahet said:

No new quality been added to the squad, missing Zanzala for the season too - why haven't we brought in more talent? That's one of the benefit's of Category 1 status.

It's an odd one, though I suppose most additions come lower down in the year groups. Perhaps given the late entrants to the academy such as Calero, Koblenz and Bunjaku were ultimately unsuccessful, we've decided against bringing people in right at the top end.

Potentially losing Rawson and with Zanazala out for the season, we do look a lot weaker than last year. And this week Hanson, Lowe, Elsnick and Rawson were all in the senior squad for the League Cup game so unable to play for the U23 team in the league match the night before.

Preserving our academy first division status is surely important to the club, but we've not exactly built on the tremendous success of last season.

1-0 down to Spurs after 5 minutes. Our youth is misfiring at the start of this season, teams a little weaker than last too. If we're going to promote young players we have to replace them or lose the attraction of being in the top division. 

First "Check-a-trade" cup tie on Tuesday away to  Port Vale: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-checkatrade-trophy-ahead-of-rams-group-opener/story-29664461-detail/story.html

Neither Lowe nor Elsnick can play as they're away on youth international duty. I can't remember how many over 23s we're allowed,  but I hope we field a strong side. We are required to field at least six players who were U21 on 30th June.

44 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

First "Check-a-trade" cup tie on Tuesday away to  Port Vale: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-checkatrade-trophy-ahead-of-rams-group-opener/story-29664461-detail/story.html

Neither Lowe nor Elsnick can play as they're away on youth international duty. I can't remember how many over 23s we're allowed,  but I hope we field a strong side. We are required to field at least six players who were U21 on 30th June.

I THINK its 3 over 23s and the keeper can be over 23, similar to the U23s league?

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

Let us hope that Wassall has not been told to use same tactics/formation as the first Team!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Tactics and formation? If you've genuinely spotted an intentional pattern of play, please share it with the forum. I think everyone else is none the wiser.

37 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Tactics and formation? If you've genuinely spotted an intentional pattern of play, please share it with the forum. I think everyone else is none the wiser.

Point taken. I have not been posting because I have been bamboozled. There is a pattern of play embedded in the players but they have not adapted to the reality that the players that they expected to pass to are not where they expected them to be, so all instinctive play has been lost..We have become ponderous and easy to outwit.We would score if Hughes was moved forward.

Any live coverage of this game anywhere? I accept a stream is unlikely but will I be able to listen perhaps? Given that this game is in 'fixture limbo' (as coined by @OwenB87 on Twitter), being neither a first team game nor really an academy team game?

Just now, Tombo said:

Any live coverage of this game anywhere? I accept a stream is unlikely but will I be able to listen perhaps? Given that this game is in 'fixture limbo' (as coined by @OwenB87 on Twitter), being neither a first team game nor really an academy team game?

It's on BBC Radio Derby, I believe.

Archived