Under 23s & Academy 16/17

SaintRam

2 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Does he play out wide or in the middle for the U23s, and which position do you think he'll end up in? I know that he's very skilful on the ball but he doesn't have too much pace does he?

He plays wide and in the middle for the u23s, floats a little bit. 

And no, he's not the fastest, but he's not slow and his positioning is excellent. He wouldn't kick the ball from the half way line and chase it, but I'd be confident in him to do a job 1 on 1 against a full back, or 2 on 2 with the likes of Christie assisting. 

I can't really say with any confidence where he'd be played in the first team, specifically. But if Ince/Russell/Blackman/Camara joined Weimann on the treatment table (for example) I'd imagine he'd enter the fray.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, roosram said:

Elsnik seems to be a promising player.  Those of you who've seen him play, how highly do you rate him?  Will he be pushing the likes of Hendrick, Bryson etc any time soon?

:wub:

In seriousness though I don't think he's actually all that far off. He's already more consistently good than Hendrick :whistle:

46 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

See... Promising youngsters coming through our academy excites me much more than signing players... Having seen the likes of Hughes, Hendrick and Hanson come through I feel good about the quality we have...

That said... Elsnik may need to change he name to Helsnik if we only produce good 'H' players...

That was hawful

From the limited amount of research I can do, it seems that national news outlets in Slovenia have at least a couple of articles on Elsnik (primarily him winning scholar of the year last season), I imagine a couple more will be made in news of this extension. From the (very poorly translated) stuff I read, they seem to have very high hopes for Elsnik, as a country.

We don't really *get* hype from foreign countries for foreign players because English hype is so excessive and dense, but it seems there is a level of national 'hype' growing for Timi, which is pretty cool.

I'd missed the terrible news that Offrande Zanzala did his cruciate pre-season vs Norwich so will be out for most/all of this season. Thanks to @MaleRamfor pointing it out in another thread. Apparently both he and Mason Bennett are long-term injured and the U23s will have to do without them: http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/wassall-this-is-going-to-be-an-exciting-season-for-the-u23s-3244615.aspx#j5kfCesuogcLRUth.99

Offrande Zanzala will be missing for several months after sustaining a cruciate ligament injury during Derby Under 23s’ 1-0 pre-season win over Norwich City.

Mason Bennett will also be missing from action after also suffering an injury setback.

On the pair, Wassall said: “Pre-season has been tough because we haven’t had a great amount of numbers in the squad with injuries playing their part.

“We have suffered injuries along the way with Offrande Zanzala and Mason Bennett, who both have long term injuries.

Oh, I also missed that. 

Personally I'm suddenly of the opinion signing a striker for the u23s is more important than signing one for the first team.

**** Derby's promotion chances and I want the U23s to stay in the division 1 PL.

13 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

So pleased for him! Always looked promising. He has a younger brother who plays too I believe. Anyone know whether he's involved somewhere in the academy?

Also for anyone curious this was Elsnik, pre-Derby, playing for Aluminij (his club in Slovenia) and even then shows glimpses of his ability to score goals in different ways. (although I see him more in that creative-ish role as opposed to that of an outright goalscorer) 

First goal- a good example of "right time, right place" moment/awareness.

Second goal- good example of "right.. I'm just going to have to do this all on my own!" sort of moment :)  definitely the more eye catching of the two goals!

7 hours ago, rhysbeck said:

So pleased for him! Always looked promising. He has a younger brother who plays too I believe. Anyone know whether he's involved somewhere in the academy?

Also for anyone curious this was Elsnik, pre-Derby, playing for Aluminij (his club in Slovenia) and even then shows glimpses of his ability to score goals in different ways. (although I see him more in that creative-ish role as opposed to that of an outright goalscorer) 

First goal- a good example of "right time, right place" moment/awareness.

Second goal- good example of "right.. I'm just going to have to do this all on my own!" sort of moment :)  definitely the more eye catching of the two goals!

Pretty sure his brother's still in Slovenia. 

We've live online radio commentary of Blackburn Rovers U18s vs Derby County U18s on Saturday from 11.55am via: http://livesportsfm.co.uk/player.aspx

Here's our tweet promoting our coverage:

https://twitter.com/LiveSportsFM/status/766618500202958848

Here's our Facebook post promoting our coverage:

https://www.facebook.com/Live-Sports-FM-1505149649759450/?fref=nf

Tweet us @LiveSportsFM - Follow us on Facebook at Live Sports FM

Really disappointing. 

I suspect transitions in staff around recruitment may have affected youth signings. Only way I see us staying in Div 1 without signing anyone is to start playing seniors more often.

But I will say this, there are plenty of players in this U23 division better than most of our seniors :lol:

Archived