Carl Sagan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Saturn5 said:

What IF Johnson hadn't lost possesion for Hull's 1st goal on Saturday 

Bryson was brilliant last night and gave everything on Saturday

I can't slate him for that miss, even if it would have turned the whole game

Bryson was ok last night, but to say he gave everything on Saturday is ridiculous, he was (and certainly not alone in this) totally absent on Saturday. 

49 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Derby are far from mediocre. Your profile picture was when Derby were mediocre.

I'm not saying that we are mediocre but settling for championship football is when we should aim as high as we can. I thought Leicester's title win would do one thing, give all teams the dream that the impossible is possible but it appears not.

Charge of the Light Brigade

Dunkirk

Glorious failures

2 world wars and 1 world cup

Maybe we'd have better losing the wars and winning loads of football tournaments.

2nd world war wouldn't have happened if we'd lost the prequel anyway. Well, unless the facists/royals had created a british hitler.

Anyway, a post-facist country seems good for winning football. Spain, Italy, Germany, Vichy France. What have those ex-commies ever won? Vote Boris and leave Europe. We'll be hated around the world, but at least our kids might see us win something in 50 years.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

If winning is the most important thing to some of you, why are you Derby fans at all and not Barcelona?. Surely anything other than winning the Club World Cup is failure?.

Why would anyone put themselves through nothing but failure year after year?.

So you are saying that you should be happy with failure, and if not go and support another team ?

This will now be out 8th (I think) straight season in a row in this league, and whilst that may be acceptable to you, some supporters as highlighted in the OP are disappointed by the latest failure.  These opportunities don't come around that often, and failure to grasp the chance, which was not getting beat by the better team, which would be acceptable, but by poor managerial decisions to me is the biggest disappointment.

Winning isn't the most important thing, however being successful now and again is what football is about, I would say by the same token why don't you support Ipswich if medoricity is the highlight of your ambition.

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Bryson was ok last night, but to say he gave everything on Saturday is ridiculous, he was (and certainly not alone in this) totally absent on Saturday. 

Referring to Bryson's work rate, closing down, tracking back, etc.

Playing well doesn't just mean going forward

Saturday he put the effort in (cant say that about most)

5 hours ago, ramit said:

OMG i just realized something

i've become British

Is there a cure?

Lose a cod war.

We did.

16 minutes ago, eddie said:

Lose a cod war.

We did.

Thanks for not lambasting me, that was a bit naughty of me.

As to the topic at hand, mistakes have been made this season, some dubious signings and looking back at it think the Clement appointment set us back a bit.  Think we would have been ill prepared for the PL this time.  Not happy to be facing another season in this league but try and see the positives.  If we prepare correctly and get rid of a few players we can do it proper next season.  Playoffs are always a lottery, we messed it up when we lost our chance of a top two finish.  That being said i am still furious at Ince for tiptoeing last night instead of running hard.  Near unforgivable really.

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Jurgen Klopp after Sevilla defeat - When it went to 1 - 1, WE NO LONGER BELIEVED.

Is this what happened when Hull scored against the run of play on saturday? I think so.

Probably yes.

We have to be mentally stronger than that though and that's where the manager also comes into play.  We don't lack ability, we lack constant focus and insatiable desire.  Not blaming Wassall, he never asked for this and he has turned us around in many ways already.  When we find these attributes i don't believe any Championship team can deal with us.  A half crazed sports psychologist perhaps?

As dull as the forum can be when we're in the middle of a 5 game winning streak, the bi-polar nature of the threads at the moment is eye gaugingly frustrating.  We lost the tie, no matter how much effort we put into Tuesday night, we lost overall.  I appreciate the effort of the players and fans who traveled to that dirt hole but to lose in style is still losing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing so using it to it's fullest capacity leads me to the following apportionment of blame -

30% Mel - He hired two inexperienced coaches.  One was worth the gamble (PC), the other was short term measure to lead to (all twenty fingers & toes crossed) a more experienced coach/manager with a winning mentality.

20% PC - He didn't get the club, or understand the fans' (or indeed Mel's) frustration at playing with little flair or pace. Either through being stubborn, or not good enough he failed miserably.  Plus he greatly under estimated the Championship and it's competitiveness.  Our lack of fitness at the turn of the year was startling.

20% Waffall - I admire the fact he got us back to playing to our strengths and, the majority of the time, put square pegs in square holes.  However I feel he lacks the mental fortitude to stay calm when things aren't going our way (Saturday) and his inexperience has cost us valuable points (Rotherham).

20% Scouting department - Not sure if this percentage can be allocated to Mel as we're unsure of how much say PC had on those players signed early in the summer.  But they certainly look like we only signed the likes of Weimann, Bent, Baird & Johnson because they were available and we could.  No thought appeared to be given on how they would fit into how we would play.  Out of the players we signed you'd say Carson, Ince, Shackell, Olsson & Butterfield have been successful.  The rest have either not been given a shot to prove they're worth, or obviously not suited to how we expect the team to play.

10% The players - I'm not saying they're mindless cattle, but at the end of the day they're beholden to how the coach/manager tells them to play.  I'm not letting them off the hook entirely, there is a whiff of the spineless once we find ourselves out thought by the opposition, but there aren't many times this season we've been comprehensively outplayed and they've downed tools way before the end of the game.

There's probably a happy medium in all this but I was embarrassed reading all these rubbish on Tuesday night about restoring pride. We played really well and I was delighted to win but overall we lost and our season ended. I felt no pride at all in losing in the manner we did. It was more frustration because it was completely unnecessary and we were entirely to blame for our own downfall.

Doesn't mean to say I'm not proud to be a Derby fan, always am always will be, but the only way anyone could have restored some pride on Tuesday was by putting us through to Wembley. And they didn't.

We all will be supporting the Rams at the start of next season with the same expectations.

I for one am new here but I despair at the Bi-Polar remarks of a few so called fans. This is sport, this is football. There are winners and there are losers.

Yes we would love to enter the premiership and hopefully give a good account of ourselves. Yes there is always hope (Leicester), will they repeat next year?? I doubt it, but the fans will still go along and see.

It must have been awful for Man Utd fans over the last couple of decades knowing that they were pretty much turning up to watch their team win again.  I would rather go along not knowing what is going to happen, but with the belief we can do it. Adds to the excitement and expectation.

Being a derby fan over the past few years has had its ups and downs but boy it has kept you on the edge of your seats.

Think - we are not fighting off relegation each and every year, we are not dropping down the leagues or yoyo-ing between the lower leagues.

Things could be worse.

Bring on next season.

20 hours ago, Ovis aries said:

Bryson's miss was diabolical, I wonder what we would all be writing if he had, and should have buried it.

Surprised not more has been said about it really, it was a shocking blunder.

''Diabolical'' is strong. It came to him at an awkward height and he was possibly unsighted by the defender, a good chance yes but not one he should be reprimanded for missing in my opinion, it was up to us to create more chances, following this, which unfortunately we did not...

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

''Diabolical'' is strong. It came to him at an awkward height and he was possibly unsighted by the defender, a good chance yes but not one he should be reprimanded for missing in my opinion, it was up to us to create more chances, following this, which unfortunately we did not...

Its just opinions, but that could have been the game, and a step along the road to £140 ml, its his job, he should have scored IMO.

Do not think Suarez, or Messi, or Ronaldo, or Ibrahimovic would have missed it, it really was a walk in.

1 minute ago, Ovis aries said:

Its just opinions, but that could have been the game, and a step along the road to £140 ml, its his job, he should have scored IMO.

Do not think Suarez, or Messi, or Ronaldo, or Ibrahimovic would have missed it, it really was a walk in.

I think you'd be surprised... It comes just behind where he would ideally want it and at the most awkward height so that he can use neither his feet nor his chest and it comes fast, meaning he has little time to react. All in all, a tough chance to convert; those chances are about luck, the way it struck him and the chances of it going in are directly proportional to the angle of his body, he was straight on and busting a gut to get to the near post (the right thing to do). He was simply unlucky.

12 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I think you'd be surprised... It comes just behind where he would ideally want it and at the most awkward height so that he can use neither his feet nor his chest and it comes fast, meaning he has little time to react. All in all, a tough chance to convert; those chances are about luck, the way it struck him and the chances of it going in are directly proportional to the angle of his body, he was straight on and busting a gut to get to the near post (the right thing to do). He was simply unlucky.

Or maybe not good enough to get in the right position himself, did he see the ball late , I think not, did it come to him unexpectedly no again, that was the only place the ball was going to come, you give him the benefit of the doubt, I believe he should have scored , opinions .

21 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The glaringly obvious changes that had to be made at that point were Bent for the knackered Russell and Camara for Olsson to change the formation. We needed to act decisively and go for it. An exhausted team is terrified of pace and Camara is lightning fast. Yet our coaching staff sat on their hands doing nothing for the next 15-20 minutes as our season slipped away through their fingers. On Saturday, Darren Bent was given 3 minutes to change the game. Here, so desperate for a goal, he was given just 7.

Couldn't agree more. 

Archived