Your local club

Kernow

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Been developed, wall around pitch, you can't just walk on it now and have a kick about like old times, unless it's less secure as it was 10 years ago.

@leedsram will know more no doubt.

i did have a look over from the new shop the other day, must make an effort and go watch a match next season.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a young lad growing up just outside Swadlincote in South Derbyshire my local team was Gresley Rovers - a few mates and I would walk the couple of miles or so there on a Saturday afternoon and watch them play!

For a while they ascended through the divisions to reach the Conference or whatever its called now and also enjoyed a day out at Wembley in the early 90s playing out an epic 4-4 draw vs someone (can't remember lol) in the FA Vase final. Unfortunately as is the way with a lot of small clubs they fell on hard times, went bankrupt and fell through the divisions again :(

Burton Albion is also only 3 or 4 miles away and I've been to see them numerous times as well (also picked up a Burton Mail fantasy football winner cheque from Brian Clough at half-time during one match!) But I always felt a bit dirty watching the Brewers - its the wrong side of the Trent for us Swaddies

55 minutes ago, maxjam said:

As a young lad growing up just outside Swadlincote in South Derbyshire my local team was Gresley Rovers - a few mates and I would walk the couple of miles or so there on a Saturday afternoon and watch them play!

For a while they ascended through the divisions to reach the Conference or whatever its called now and also enjoyed a day out at Wembley in the early 90s playing out an epic 4-4 draw vs someone (can't remember lol) in the FA Vase final. Unfortunately as is the way with a lot of small clubs they fell on hard times, went bankrupt and fell through the divisions again :(

Burton Albion is also only 3 or 4 miles away and I've been to see them numerous times as well (also picked up a Burton Mail fantasy football winner cheque from Brian Clough at half-time during one match!) But I always felt a bit dirty watching the Brewers - its the wrong side of the Trent for us Swaddies

Guisely at Wembely, great day out, I still have my scarf from that day

Stockport County..... Ex work colleague always used to bet on the three Counties winning. Considering that's us and Newport to make up the three you can understand why he didn't make very much. And one of those unwanted records like our 11 pt Prem I believe no team has fallen further in so short a time as SCFC.(?) They still get decent crowds but it's a big town and hope they can rise through the ranks again...... Ah big Kev!!! 

8 hours ago, SKRam said:

Stockport County..... Ex work colleague always used to bet on the three Counties winning. Considering that's us and Newport to make up the three you can understand why he didn't make very much. And one of those unwanted records like our 11 pt Prem I believe no team has fallen further in so short a time as SCFC.(?) They still get decent crowds but it's a big town and hope they can rise through the ranks again...... Ah big Kev!!! 

Wots up with Notts County ??

20 hours ago, 2tups said:

Formartine United. Highland League's perennial almost boys. No one mention bottlers.

For any Inverurie Locos lurking on the forum: I'm from further north than you.

Saw a few games when they were in the juniors. Are they still throwing silly money at it? 

15 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Saw a few games when they were in the juniors. Are they still throwing silly money at it? 

Pitmedden phone numbers. Suspect the oil downturn will affect a few clubs next year. 

12 hours ago, archram said:

I suppose since I moved, my nearest league clubs are the two Bristols - no need for rude jokes, gentlemen!

Monty Python Election Night Special: Arthur Negus has held Bristol - that's not a result, it's just a bit of gossip.

Archived