Your local club

Kernow

10 minutes ago, 2tups said:

Pitmedden phone numbers. Suspect the oil downturn will affect a few clubs next year. 

Its a bit worrying. Still not sure how the Aberdeen Westhill move will be financed. Im sure Milne has the answers. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My lads club, Stanton Ilkeston U'12's, Derby Junior League. Champions last season, this season we finished 5th. 

Go Ironmen!

My nearest league team is Leyton Orient,  4 stops on the Central Line tube. They have a great real ale bar and mugs of steaming Bovril

On 18/05/2016 at 12:54, Kernow said:

Who is your local football team (if it's not Derby of course). It can be where you're from or where you live now.

My local league club is Plymouth Argyle but that's still just under 2 hours on the train. Then I have Truro City who are in the Conference South.

Truro for me. Was born there. Crazy they were going to move to Torquay so they had a ground to play in next season. Sooner the new ground gets built the better.

On 5/20/2016 at 12:11, MuespachRam said:

Guisely at Wembely, great day out, I still have my scarf from that day

i still rate that game in my top ten all-time most exciting  games , and i've seen Real Madrid , Benfica and Juve lost my voice that day , the replay was a bit of an anti-climax at Brammall Lane ? , Rovers lost 3-1..

i live 30 yards from the Moat Ground , a brisk walk down my garden , hop up on the wall , and watch 'em for free ..

2 hours ago, RicME85 said:

Truro for me. Was born there. Crazy they were going to move to Torquay so they had a ground to play in next season. Sooner the new ground gets built the better.

I don't go to watch them too often, if they got promoted a couple more times though I'm sure a lot of Cornish people would welcome the prospect of league football in the county. They had a chance of promotion to the Conference National but unfortunately missed out in the play-off semi finals to Maidstone. One season at Plainmoor and they should hopefully have their own 10,000 seater, multi-purpose ground in Threemilestone to share with the Cornish Pirates rugby team. This would be a big step as it would allow them to really push on. They would have a stadium nearly as big as Premier League Bournemouth, with the possibility of expansion. It would give them a great chance to become Cornwall's first ever Football League side. I used to love Plymouth being in the same league as Derby as it made going to watch Derby a doddle at least once a season. Would love Truro to progress to at least give themselves a chance of getting a home draw against Derby in the cup!

11 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Is Bournemouth actually in Bournemouth or is it more Boscombe? 

It is a bit unusual having the ground in the equivalent of markeaton park. 

AFC Bournemouth's ground is actually in Boscombe. Some older locals still refer to them as Boscombe as they used to be called Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic Football Club.

16 hours ago, Kernow said:

I don't go to watch them too often, if they got promoted a couple more times though I'm sure a lot of Cornish people would welcome the prospect of league football in the county. They had a chance of promotion to the Conference National but unfortunately missed out in the play-off semi finals to Maidstone. One season at Plainmoor and they should hopefully have their own 10,000 seater, multi-purpose ground in Threemilestone to share with the Cornish Pirates rugby team. This would be a big step as it would allow them to really push on. They would have a stadium nearly as big as Premier League Bournemouth, with the possibility of expansion. It would give them a great chance to become Cornwall's first ever Football League side. I used to love Plymouth being in the same league as Derby as it made going to watch Derby a doddle at least once a season. Would love Truro to progress to at least give themselves a chance of getting a home draw against Derby in the cup!

They are no longer going to Plainmoor as they have an extension on Treyew Road. Im surprised the club is still where they are after the mess Kevin Heaney left them in.

Just now, RicME85 said:

They are no longer going to Plainmoor as they have an extension on Treyew Road. Im surprised the club is still where they are after the mess Kevin Heaney left them in.

Oh I hadn't heard that. I thought they'd sold Treyew to property development and expected the new stadium process to be quicker than it was. Yeah, they've done well. Could have potentially started falling back through the leagues they'd just come from. They had to appeal to a fan to return their goalkeeper shirt after a player gave it away following his final game as they couldn't afford a new one.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I love that sort of thing, just such a meep.gif.pagespeed.ce.q0ynRcAQig.gif story about a proper football club. Truro have been lending their team bus to Torquay who have had issues with travel this season. Hereford giving a guard of honour at Wembley yesterday as the Morpeth guys came back down from the stands with their trophy and medals was also meep.gif.pagespeed.ce.q0ynRcAQig.gif.

Also loved the story of big Barry Hayles staying in one of the Truro chairman's caravans.

Yeah Treyew road was sold off by the last lot running the club so the new chairman has been trying to sort stuff out. Was reported The other month that they can stay at Treyew Road for next season with the hope that work on the new ground starts in October (I cant see that happening though as they are still working on the plans which will go to consultation, not much time for all that then work starting in October).

Burton Albion, and for the 13 years I've lived there they've been my second team, but I'm starting to get really fed up of their fans hating on us since promotion. They seem to have developed an inferiority complex, assuming that we see them as a tinpot club and retort by labelling us underachievers who they believe they're now on level footing with. The "Jake Buxton, if he's not good enough to get in Derby's side he's not good enough for us" threads amuse me, and how can they be on level footing when their entire squad value and wage budget is less than several of our fringe players on their own.

Archived