need for next season......

On 18 May 2016 at 07:48, Mills_DCFC said:

Cant believe people have Butterfield on their outgoing list. I've been very impressed with him all season.

This. 

Genuinely think he's really showed us some great technical ability this season would be sad to see him leave 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pearson is an inspired signing a leader with balls ! We all have our opinions so here is mine. We cannot defend well when we are put under pressure the Forest defeat showed this they put us under pressure and ran us ragged, Keogh is out of his depth he is an average Championship defender not a promotion contenders defender, We need a steely defender who can control and issue instructions this is the core of all succesful sides. To many players flitting in and out the game you can see the fear on there faces when put under pressure, get rid.Playing the ball on the ground with delightful passing is great to watch but you have to remember one thing to score you need to pass the ball forward not always the case last season.Johnson is a skilled player but has to play for 90 mins and stop hiding.Ince was a poor signing he is a journeyman who does just enough to keep under the radar but we cannot afford to wait for his occasional flashes of brilliance, Bent always worth having on the subs bench though.

11 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

More than a couple though, we lost all our holding midfielders (Thorne, Eustace, Mascarell) all our left sided CBs (Buxton, Whitbread) all our strikers (Martin, Bent) and various other players like Russell.

We are moving away from my original point, where PlymouthRam was suggesting poor old Derby suffered such bad luck during the season that it allowed average clubs like Burnley to steal their way up.

I did agree with you that a couple of players missing did contribute to our 2014-15 collapse, but it was not bad luck that we did not have cover for Thorne/Eustace/Mascarell as we could easily have opted to take an emergency loan during March. That was bad management. I don't recall Bent's injury, nor in truth Russell's, but I do recall that we went out in January and secured a number of players (internationals many) including Bent, Ince, Lingard, Warnock and Albentosa.  I suppose you consider it bad luck that we bought too many, including a homesick Spaniard?

We didn't cope in 2014/15 - I wouldn't say we bottled it - but as the season wound to its end and the pressure cranked up a number of our players massively under performed. We even still had a chance to grab a play-off opportunity with a pretty strong team available, and we were walked over by Reading.

As I said in my original post, I don't think you will hear Pearson talking about bad luck with injuries and the rub of the green. He will lie making sure that anyone who goes out in our colours has the mental toughness to win matches, particularly important matches. Can't wait.

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

We just had our best defensive season in years, midfield is the issue for me. Find these posts strange.

And yet we weren't promoted. Also there is always the risk of losing players to an injury. We will need depth for the next season.

Weimann needs more chances to play up front with Martin, he looked excellent in the away leg at hull, they linked up very well and they caused problems together.

2 hours ago, Cisse said:

And yet we weren't promoted. Also there is always the risk of losing players to an injury. We will need depth for the next season.

Well we've got 2 top left backs, 1 very good right back and Hanson was pretty good there too. Lowe has to be in the mix next season as well. Think the CB 2 will be the same next season, have to see what Pearson thinks of Buxton and Rawson. I just don't see it as massive issue like some, yeah it needs tweaking maybe but in the main we are OK there. The fact that we can't cover Thorne or Martin properly is far more major, add to that when we play a formation that requires proper wingers we have no one that can seemingly fill that option.

A pacey striker with 20+ goals in him.

A better winger. Matt Phillips will do.

A defensive battler in the midfield to cover Thorne.

A centre-back to challenge Keogh and Shacks. Maybe it's time for Rawson to step up.

36 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

We got beaten 3-0 at home in a play off semi final...

One off games don't prove an overall trend, also we played Hull 4 times and kept 3 clean sheets. The fact that we had awful tactics in that home game don't come in to your reasoning? We conceded one of the lowest totals we've had in years this season. Not even sure why I'm gracing your post with some actual reasoning but here I we are it annoyed me enough.

43 conceded in 46 games is pretty damn good if you ask me. I'd say it was team tactics and poor midfield balance that cost us this season, we'll never get Burnley and Boro levels of goals against without cover for Thorne at a minimum.

I am hoping a good pre season will help Nigel Pearson find out if some of those who have been lacklustre can step up with the right coach or if they need to be shipped out. 

I also hope there will be  an opportunity to give Bent a chance to shine before he hangs up his boots. I suspect we will bite the bullet with Blackman. He's quick and can flick but he doesn't have the control or the power to make it it a high level regardless of what position he is played in. 

We need a natural right winger who can skin a man and cross,  I'd like Rawson to be introduced to first team squad, a dose of good luck on injuries. The manager to be able to pick the right midfield combinations match to match to beat specific opposition. Johnson to recapture his initial form and power. 

And a good German Centre back

I think we need some nastiness.  A hard as nails centre half and maybe a destructive centre mid, although I still hold out hopes that Bradders can do that role.  Plus some power and pace up front, but that's easier said than done and will come with a big price tag.

I think we're in brilliant hands now and I'm very excited about things under Nigel.  I'd got the the point where I wasn't going to renew my season ticket - my lad has lost interest a bit and I'm now coaching his team on Saturday mornings and they've got games Sundays, so something's got to give - but I've renewed this morning!  I missed out on our old seats so we've had to move a bit, but I can't wait for the start of the season now.

Nigel Pearson's Ostrich Army!

I think we need to offload 5 or 6 players who are not near the first team like Shotton, baird, albentosa, pearce, bent, blackman & camara.

We need to bring in:

1. Cover for Thorne - A Eustace like player to provide backup to Thorne. Matty James has played there before but he in nothing special, although Hanson and hendrick can do a job if needed. 

2. Striker - A fox in the box like player Nakhi Wells seems a good choice Aluko less so. 

3. Winger - Someone who can chip in with goals and maybe take a set piece, Judge springs to mind. 

4. RB - De Laet on loan job done.

The times look good ahead hopefully we won't go as mad with transfers as last year and buy in players who are a waste of time or unperformed.

Looking at the final table last year we were not far off going up and we had about the right goals for and goals against for our position. This to me would suggest that we need a tweak not major surgery.

Martin for me gets too much flack on here, I have stated before that if he gets found out we can be in trouble but it is not his fault he is plan A, B and C.

For me I would love to sign the next Igor Stimac to toughen up the defence and captain the side. Otherwise Carson, Grant, Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Buxton, Forsyth, Olson, plus maybe cover for Christie at Right Back looks a good enough defensive squad to me. Potential Squad players Peirce and Shotton.

DM - Thorne, Hanson, Hendrick, Good enough squad for me, especially if we have a plan B or C that does not have CDM

Mid - Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Hendrick (I know again) Johnson, Good enough squad for me

Up Front - Martin, Bent, Russell, Ince, Weiman, Blackman, Camara, looks pretty good too. Would love to see Weiman especially and Blackman given more of a chance. Camara concerns me which is probably unfair because what I have seen is "right you have approx 30 seconds to make a difference" is it surprise he seems a bit headless with that brief.

Plan A - Carson, - Christie, Stimac (lol), Shackell, Forsyth, - Thorne, - Hughes, Butterfield, - Weiman, Martin, Russell,

Plan B - Carson, - Christie, Stimac (lol), Shackell, Forsyth, - Hendrick, Thorne, Hughes, Russell, - Weiman, Martin,

Plan C - Carson, - Christie, Stimac (lol), Shackell, Forsyth, - Thorne, - Hendrick, Bryson, - Hughes/Ince, - Weiman, Martin,

Plan D - Carson, - Keogh, Stimac (lol) Shackell, - Christie, Thorne, Hughes, Forsyth, - Weiman, Martin, Russell,

Plan E - Carson, - Keogh, Stimac (lol) Shackell, - Christie, Thorne, Hendrick, Forsyth, - Hughes/Ince, - Martin, Weiman,

Obviously some of Bent, Blackman, Olson, Hendrick, Johnson etc. can be switched in and out temporarily or permanently depending on form and injuries tactics etc.

Anyone not mentioned at all can probably do one.

Archived