need for next season......

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got to agree with everyone saying we need a new striker with pace. Someone in the Andre Gray/Abel Hernandez mould. I love seeing CM play when we play to his strengths but he needs willing runners from midfield and we've lacked that for a lot of this season.

Weimann was a great outlet on the break last night and we need more of that sort of pace available so we can catch teams on the counter when they setup against our often slow, possession heavy build up play.

We could do with some natural right footed wingers/wide forwards. Russell, Ince, Camara, Blackman and even Johnson when he played there are all left footed and it left us unbalanced in a lot of games. Weimann was our only right footed option and wasn't consistent enough to hold a place down all season. Are their any academy prospects coming through in that position?

We're probably too heavy in the centre midfield positions, with Johnson or Hendrick being the two I'd look to shift first. We also need a reliable understudy to Thorne. Someone young enough not to expect first team football all the time, but dependable enough to come in and do a job when the inevitable happens.

I don't think we need to add to the defence (with the exception of some RB competition for Cyrus to keep him sharp), just get rid of some of the deadwood (I don't think Albentosa will come back while we're in the Champ and Baird, Pearce, Shotton aren't good enough to push our current first choice out the team) we've gathered recently and promote Rawson and possibly Max Lowe to the first team squad.

Lee Grant can move on with Mitchell getting promoted to Carson's deputy too.

But the priority for me is a dangerous striker with pace who can be dangerous with half chances, scraps and be a danger from fast breaks.

We need a strong captain. A proper leader out there.

We started off with PC handing out the captaincy to someone different each week and finally settled on Keogh, who I still maintain is not a good enough leader on the pitch. He deserved the POTY but he doesn't rally the troops out on the grass.

For those saying striker with pace, do you think a small speedy player, such as Dwight Gayle, would fit this system? As his game isn't about holding the ball up or winning headers. Many are stating we replace Martin with this type of player, why not try them together? Weimann and Russell took it in turn playing either close to Chrissy or out wide, making Chrissy's flicks and headers more effective. (Would mean a slight change in formation though)

If you replace Martin, you either change the way we play or get in someone who can still do the things a centre forward does (hold up, pressure on CB's for high balls etc) whilst adding pace up top

30 minutes ago, r4derby said:

For those saying striker with pace, do you think a small speedy player, such as Dwight Gayle, would fit this system? As his game isn't about holding the ball up or winning headers. Many are stating we replace Martin with this type of player, why not try them together? Weimann and Russell took it in turn playing either close to Chrissy or out wide, making Chrissy's flicks and headers more effective. (Would mean a slight change in formation though)

If you replace Martin, you either change the way we play or get in someone who can still do the things a centre forward does (hold up, pressure on CB's for high balls etc) whilst adding pace up top

Either is fine! lets just do one of them

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Either is fine! lets just do one of them

Which is fine in principal, but a change in system and play style can take a while to settle, possibly too long for next season. And forwards who are tall, pacy and can finish often either play at a higher level already, or will cost a pretty penny, which our balance sheet may hinder us without selling assets first.

I'm not against the idea of change, whether with Martin or replacing him, but it needs to be a positive change. We have a striker who has scored and assisted a lot over 3 years, that's a rare commodity.

Big clear out. Not one player I would be worried about losing. Let's get away from this useless formation which means you have a lot of the ball in your own half and absolutely nothing with it. Can't wait to see the back of wassall. Pace up front needed this is where we are lacking. 

3 hours ago, r4derby said:

Which is fine in principal, but a change in system and play style can take a while to settle, possibly too long for next season. And forwards who are tall, pacy and can finish often either play at a higher level already, or will cost a pretty penny, which our balance sheet may hinder us without selling assets first.

I'm not against the idea of change, whether with Martin or replacing him, but it needs to be a positive change. We have a striker who has scored and assisted a lot over 3 years, that's a rare commodity.

How many seasons we played this system? Where has it got us?  I'm happy to take one step back in learning a new system to take two steps forward .  We need to stop stepping sideways!

Keep Carson and the back four. 

Keep Thorne fit and get a season of him playing with Will and Bryson. 

Keep Russell,Weimann,Camara and Martin and buy a pacy direct striker.

Ince and Johnson are a waste of money but nobody will give Mel his money back so we'll have to see how they treat pre season.

Grant,, keogh, shotten, baird, warnock, albentosa, sammon, martin, russell and possibly hendrick after a good euros for big money to enable us to stay within ffp out and give us money for the ins.

In new right back, central defender with pace and a big striker in for martin again with pace.

Play a different system with two up front and get a new leader and captain.

Rowett in as manager then its up the rams.

12 hours ago, Simsy said:

How many seasons we played this system? Where has it got us?  I'm happy to take one step back in learning a new system to take two steps forward .  We need to stop stepping sideways!

3 consecutive seasons of top 8 finishes, a team that is now looked upon as a difficult fixture by nearly all in the division. A solid foundation for success.

Look, I get the frustration. Saturday evening I sat stewing after a terrible performance where all the bad parts of our system were on show. I've calmed down now though, and realised that if we do nothing from now until the end of next season, as in no transfers, keep Wassall etc. We will still probably finish in the top 8, possibly top 6. That's not a bad place to be.

I want top 2, and there are changes that need making. A new manager/head coach is number 1 for me. And get him in before preseason. Other than that, I'm happy to wait and see. 

Don't want consecutive top 8 finishes I just want one top 2 finish!

Brighton Burnley Boro Wednesday. 8 games from teams in the top 6, 3 being above us in which we didn't win 1 which is one of the key reasons we were not challenging the auto spots.

I know we all want the same thing all I am trying to suggest is the current system has not got us up 3 years in a row so we should look to do something different. As we discussed in the previous post we need to upgrade the striker and change the way we play.

If we are happy being amongst it but never actually quite getting over the line then by all means lets just carry on as we are. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 23:29, valleyram said:

No injuries to very important players , that would do the job for us 

Agree no injuries and some luck for once. Burnley had both in winning the title and without it wouldn't have finished above 4 or 5 teams who I believe had better squads/teams.

28 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Agree no injuries and some luck for once. Burnley had both in winning the title and without it wouldn't have finished above 4 or 5 teams who I believe had better squads/teams.

What drivel. Burnley won the league by being well organised professionals, working hard for each other and with a steely winners mentality (a bit like their manager). They also at times played with some flair. Can't recall them being overly lucky last season and I bet they had their fair share of injuries too.  We of course missed Will, anyone in our division would, but the loss of Bryson and Forsyth was not overly significant in my opinion. 

I think we now have what we need for next season. One thing for sure Pearson won't be wallowing with self pity about injuries and bad luck. Losers do that. Often bad losers.

Just now, i-Ram said:

What drivel. Burnley won the league by being well organised professionals, working hard for each other and with a steely winners mentality (a bit like their manager). They also at times played with some flair. Can't recall them being overly lucky last season and I bet they had their fair share of injuries too.  We of course missed Will, anyone in our division would, but the loss of Bryson and Forsyth was not overly significant in my opinion. 

I think we now have what we need for next season. One thing for sure Pearson won't be wallowing with self pity about injuries and bad luck. Losers do that. Often bad losers.

I agree with what you are saying for last season, but injuries can still severely dent a promotion challenge. I still think that injuries were that main cause to our collapse in the 2014/15 season.

2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I agree with what you are saying for last season, but injuries can still severely dent a promotion challenge. I still think that injuries were that main cause to our collapse in the 2014/15 season.

The loss of a couple of players in that season, and Macca's dilly dallying, did contribute to the collapse, but that season like this we were simply not good enough. 

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The loss of a couple of players in that season, and Macca's dilly dallying, did contribute to the collapse, but that season like this we were simply not good enough. 

More than a couple though, we lost all our holding midfielders (Thorne, Eustace, Mascarell) all our left sided CBs (Buxton, Whitbread) all our strikers (Martin, Bent) and various other players like Russell.

Ideally one/ two of the midfielders. Not actually that fussed apart from Will although Johnson has something to prove, Bryso was a huge difference when he came back, Butters has his ex mentor now on board and if Hendrick can replicate his Hull away performance on a regular basis he is a must starter. Sicknote is here to stay.

Glad im not in charge....

Archived