need for next season......

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

As was speculation on the new manager thread, if we were two down at half time on opening day and Wassall was in charge it'd get toxic.

Pearson would get more leniency. I just suspect not all that much.

I saw a poll on Twitter trying to gauge fans ' minimum expectations. 58% voted top two…so yeah, no much leniency at all!

7 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

One off games don't prove an overall trend, also we played Hull 4 times and kept 3 clean sheets. The fact that we had awful tactics in that home game don't come in to your reasoning? We conceded one of the lowest totals we've had in years this season. Not even sure why I'm gracing your post with some actual reasoning but here I we are it annoyed me enough.

43 conceded in 46 games is pretty damn good if you ask me. I'd say it was team tactics and poor midfield balance that cost us this season, we'll never get Burnley and Boro levels of goals against without cover for Thorne at a minimum.

You are gracing it with a response because it's a forum. Kind of the point.

Our defence comes undone in big games. When the pressure is on, they bottle it. Burnley away for instance. Horror show. 

We need big players with calm heads, on big occasions. We don't have that. 

2 hours ago, cannable said:

I saw a poll on Twitter trying to gauge fans ' minimum expectations. 58% voted top two…so yeah, no much leniency at all!

58% out of how many that responded though? I suspect the sample size is far from large enough to draw a fair conclusion.

In my household, 100% of Derby fans I asked said that whilst top 2 is a hope and play offs is a minimum expectation they all said they would stick with NP if we fell a little short. So, quite lenient based on my survey. 

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

58% out of how many that responded though? I suspect the sample size is far from large enough to draw a fair conclusion.

In my household, 100% of Derby fans I asked said that whilst top 2 is a hope and play offs is a minimum expectation they all said they would stick with NP if we fell a little short. So, quite lenient based on my survey. 

200-odd! Not massive, but not exactly small either!

1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

You are gracing it with a response because it's a forum. Kind of the point.

Our defence comes undone in big games. When the pressure is on, they bottle it. Burnley away for instance. Horror show. 

We need big players with calm heads, on big occasions. We don't have that. 

Anecdotal evidence is the poorest of reasoning. How did our defence come undone against Hull at home then? Because as far as I see we played awful tactics against a team waiting to counter, the third goal was just a result of us chasing a first half we blew playing long balls to Martin. Burnley away was just a weird one, every team at the top had blips this season. Other than that we were solid for most of the season, didn't offer enough of a threat at Boro and they eventually found something in the last few mins. Did fine against rivals in the league at home, should have really beat Boro and Burnley.

Like I said a better midfield unit and more solid tactics would cure any problems. Rotherham away was the same, took 2 key players off that hold the ball and the back 4 was exposed. Everyone in front of the back 4 made the wrong decisions and we didn't keep hold of the ball.

But I'm interested, who would you buy that we could afford to come in to the first choice back 4 for us?

interesting thread this , some good opinions , for what its worth i would love Leon Osman back , and make him captain and also Jordon Ibe , showed a lot of promise when here before , add de laet and wells to those two and im sure we wont slip up next season

41 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Anecdotal evidence is the poorest of reasoning. How did our defence come undone against Hull at home then? Because as far as I see we played awful tactics against a team waiting to counter, the third goal was just a result of us chasing a first half we blew playing long balls to Martin. Burnley away was just a weird one, every team at the top had blips this season. Other than that we were solid for most of the season, didn't offer enough of a threat at Boro and they eventually found something in the last few mins. Did fine against rivals in the league at home, should have really beat Boro and Burnley.

Like I said a better midfield unit and more solid tactics would cure any problems. Rotherham away was the same, took 2 key players off that hold the ball and the back 4 was exposed. Everyone in front of the back 4 made the wrong decisions and we didn't keep hold of the ball.

But I'm interested, who would you buy that we could afford to come in to the first choice back 4 for us?

In response to who would come here, do you feel our back four is the best in the league? If no, then surely there must be players who are better. Pearsons job is to find them. 

Is it possible to get an idea how much other managers and fans now think that Derby will be considerably more difficult to beat than last year? I assume that most of us think that some of the 'high quality' Managers coming into the Championship will make their teams harder to beat.

Consistency - that's all we need. On too many occasions this season we gave lacklustre performances and that cost us. 

People are saying get rid of Johnson, Ince etc. Realistically, who are we going to sign that's better?

Johnson's game is to bully opposition players with brute strength and he was a beast until he got banned for gathering too many cards. It seems to me that he may have been told to calm down which has inevitably stopped him from doing what he does best; and being as effective as possible.

Ince plays best when he is in the side week in week out. There was no consistency to his appearances last season so his performances followed suit.

Same goes for the rest of the team. Get rid of the fringe players, get some consistency to formation, tactics and team choice; and this will be our season. 

1 minute ago, GaryDCFC said:

It seems to me that he may have been told to calm down which has inevitably stopped him from doing what he does best; and being as effective as possible.

You may have solved the 'loss of form mystery', GaryDCFC

11 minutes ago, GaryDCFC said:

Consistency - that's all we need. On too many occasions this season we gave lacklustre performances and that cost us. 

People are saying get rid of Johnson, Ince etc. Realistically, who are we going to sign that's better?

Johnson's game is to bully opposition players with brute strength and he was a beast until he got banned for gathering too many cards. It seems to me that he may have been told to calm down which has inevitably stopped him from doing what he does best; and being as effective as possible.

Ince plays best when he is in the side week in week out. There was no consistency to his appearances last season so his performances followed suit.

Same goes for the rest of the team. Get rid of the fringe players, get some consistency to formation, tactics and team choice; and this will be our season. 

Ince started over 80% of league games last season, he was in the side week in week out, he wasn't consistent I agree, but it wasn't a lack of starts causing it.

Just now, reveldevil said:

Ince started over 80% of league games last season, he was in the side week in week out, he wasn't consistent I agree, but it wasn't a lack of starts causing it.

He played in over 80% but I don't think he started that many did he? I'm sure he was used as a sub for a good percentage of those games?  

2 minutes ago, GaryDCFC said:

He played in over 80% but I don't think he started that many did he? I'm sure he was used as a sub for a good percentage of those games?  

37 starts, 5 apps as a sub.

According to soccerbase. 

5 minutes ago, GaryDCFC said:

Ahh okay, apologies I'm mistaken then. He just need a good old Cloughie kick up the backside then :D

He's a good player, we just need to decide if we can play to his strengths and get the best out of him, without hampering the rest of the team.

I've never thought him lazy, or indifferent but he does seem to need everything to go his way to produce a performance.

It may be a coincidence that his best games have seem to come when Martin wasn't playing, if Pearson can find a way to get the best out of both at the same time, we'll be laughing.

If, and it's a big if, we go 2 up top I'd give him and Martin a chance to establish themselves before we even looked at the likes of Kodjia and Wells, he's better than the pair of them.

Archived