Hendrick vs Johnson

Sparkle

Both had no real match practice but totally different performances Saturday to Tuesday 

for me Johnson has been selected over and over again due to his price tag not his ability/performances over the likes of Hendrick who can be sometimes inconsistent but cost nothing yet will be at the Euros and looks a very good player especially in the big games that he has taken part in.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hendrick and weimman did themselves no harm, thought both were brilliant, weimman was spectacularly so. Lost a bit of directness after he came off. Should definitely be used more against the more defensively solid teams as he adds an extra dimension to the game, ince is good but against a solid defence can't do much.

Thought Christie as immense as well, really, really good performance. Has really improved and can improve more. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few prem clubs circling

best signing we could make in the summer is a new contract for will Hughes. Hope he re,aims a Derby player for years to come

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Haven't been a fan of Jeff for a while now but tonight he was absolutely superb.

Yes im the same, Jeff's inconsistent performances puts me off, then he plays like tonight. There is a really good player in there somewhere.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

Hendrick is one of the most naturally gifted footballers at the club, if someone ever finds a way to get the best out of him on a regular basis he'll be playing top end of the Prem.

Always thought the key is to give him a role where he doesn't need to think. Just play. Naturally thought that should be in the final third. Just goes to show what I know.

It seems Clement ruined Johnson progressively - he was seen as just the bite we needed when he first came in but gradually went backwards. He needs to be recognised for what he is and not asked to do anything he can't do. like pass to a team-mate. 

I suspect a) he was not fit at all last Saturday and b) a new manager may find a way to use him that works.

Hendrick, fills a similar role to Bryson in terms of bombing forward and being an energetic attacking midfielder and I was so so pleased and surprised he put in such a competent disciplined performance tonight. He'll never be a tough tackling ball winner and his inconstancy is maddening. If Hendrick was consistent he'd be in the top flight no doubt.

Two very different players. Playing Johnson on Saturday was a bad mistake given his lack of form and fitness but I can see why as Butters and Hendrick are lightweight and might have been bullied.

Hendrick had the benefit of having so much space. Hull played a dangerous game by sitting so far back. They couldn't clear the ball because the gap between their midfield and attack was so large. If we had George in that much space then I feel we'd all be in a much better mood but it's not to be.

Hendrick is better than Johnson, but both are far too inconsistent.

9 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Hendrick had the benefit of having so much space. Hull played a dangerous game by sitting so far back. They couldn't clear the ball because the gap between their midfield and attack was so large. If we had George in that much space then I feel we'd all be in a much better mood but it's not to be.

Hendrick is better than Johnson, but both are far too inconsistent.

In my opinion it wasn't a case of what Hull did or didn't do it was a case of what we let them do. We pinned them back by dominating second balls, fast passing and possession. Steve Bruce said they couldn't get near us first half.

Hendrick did well tonight. Where as Johnson looked off the pacentre on Saturday Hendrick hit the ground running just what we needed. I only Bryson had got a clean touch early in the second half. Oh well one of the best away games of the season. I didn't feel any pressure on the players from the fans. It was good to see the go down fighting.

Hendrick kept his head up and as a result managed to find Martin quite often. Made us tick those fine passes. Great stuff.

Didn't see that coming...but he wasn't really tested defensive-wise this time.

Very good game from him!

Johnson was excellent when he came and for quite a while looked every inch a £6m player. Perhaps when things started to go a little wrong then the price tag and expectation got to him?

The way he has played for us tells me there is a good player in there and we just need to find the key to unlocking it again. Far too much criticism in my view; if he's done well before he can do well again. 

I've always rated Jeff. I don't agree with some of the flack he gets either. On occasion he is fantastic but I've never seen him as utterly terrible in any match I've seen him play in. Nobody is brilliant all the time and I reckon that sometimes we do expect a bit much of these human beings. 

Hendrick put in a mature, restrained and controlled performance last night. He played like a midfield general wanting the ball at every opportunity and finally put in a display that we know his is truly capable of. 

Johnson however I feel is getting the rough end here IMO! People keep going on about £6m this and £6m that.... :angry:

He didn't spend that money, we did!

Also he is a left sided midfield player that likes to push up behind the attackers yet we play him central and even at times as a holding midfielder?! That's not his position, we have been guilty this season of the whole "Square pegs, Round holes" with a lot of our new signings. 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hendrick had a superb game. But how much was that down to Hull's tactics and our fast start?

He's one of our most inconsistent players, and on occasions this season he has been utterly terrible.

I think most of the squad has been inconsistant, some more than others.  How many times in a row have we managed to put the same side out?

You are one of the most prolific posters, and on several occasions they have been utterly terrible.  Glasshouses and all that...

Archived