Roberto Martinez

SantosHalper

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Below average manager who has dined out on one success, can't build a solid team and has regressed John Stones by a year. If he became manager here we'd be doomed. Honestly the draw to this guy by fans and media blows my mind, the guy is no better than Wassall.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

No chance Martinez will come here if we are in the championship, his ego is too big for that. If we get promoted then some will say Wassall deserves to stay. If we get promoted and get rid of Wassall then we should be looking at people like Sanches Flores, Brendan Rodgers or Martin O neil

Fair argument. 

All I'm saying is his reputation has clearly taken a huge knock this season and if he would be willing to move down to the championship, I think he is the best option for us.

Just as a side note, I am in the camp of if we get promoted with Wassall, then he should be manager on the first day of our premier league season, as it was him who restored faith and confidence in the players after the brief Clement era.

6 minutes ago, Casio said:

What a stupid comment. We are Derby County, who do you think we are? So you wouldn't have Mourinho cause he's a Chelsea 'cast-off'. 

no I wouldn't, turgid football that is dated.

what happens when you use open expansive football?

I think he will be in for some fun with Man Utd fans, under Fergie they played great football?

6 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Below average manager who has dined out on one success, can't build a solid team and has regressed John Stones by a year. If he became manager here we'd be doomed. Honestly the draw to this guy by fans and media blows my mind, the guy is no better than Wassall.

How can John Stones have possibly regressed? Everyone acts shocked when a 21 year old centre back playing his first full season at the highest level makes mistakes. This is absolutely ridiculous. If people bought into the media overhyping the kid that's their own mistake.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

How can John Stones have possibly regressed? Everyone acts shocked when a 21 year old centre back playing his first full season at the highest level makes mistakes. This is absolutely ridiculous. If people bought into the media overhyping the kid that's their own mistake.

He's got worse IMO. I never bought in to the hype but defensively Everton have been terrible and not just Stones.

1 minute ago, tomsdubs said:

He's got worse IMO. I never bought in to the hype but defensively Everton have been terrible and not just Stones.

And this has nothing to do with Distan collecting his pension and Jagielka not being able to stay fit for more than two minutes at a time? Martinez hasn't replaced them adequately though. First Alcaraz and now Funes Mori. The guy wouldn't know a good centre back if one elbowed him in the face.

13 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

how about looking outside the box, some great coaches in the world?

how many foreign coaches have we had?

Paul Clement was great coach, as was McClaren... Don't know what nationality has anything to do with a manager's possibility of having success.

Hey, Martinez is foreign!

50 minutes ago, Casio said:

Martinez would be a great appointment. If I was Mel he would be my top target and I'd chuck money at him. Don't think he would have a problem building a strong squad here.

My favourite should we appoint a new man to replace DW at the end of the season.

this comment above scares me. One thing Martinez has proven at both Wigan and Everton is the ability to waste money and end up with a WEAK squad. The fact that others in this thread can only pick 3 decent players from the Everton squad is testament to just how sshyte Martinez is. The first thing that happens under poor management is player reputations suffer, it happened here at Derby only 5 months ago when all our players were not good enough!

I would advise you to go and speak to some Wigan and Everton fans, as it appears you have outsider-syndrome, where the grass looks greener, when it truly isn't.

43 minutes ago, Casio said:

Whats so shocking? He's unfashionable at the minute because of how the media are treating him. At the start of the season when Everton were doing well was a completely different story! He kept Wigan fighting in the prem and won the FA cup. I think we'd all love that as Derby fans and would admit our club are more the size of Wigan and Swansea currently where he had success rather than Everton.

Who is your favoured choice then should DW depart at the end of season?

Only just noticed the same poster posted this. I can tell you that the Everton fans turned on Martinez way before the media even questioned him. Wigan were a steady mid-table side when he went there, and then plummeted through two relegations after being lumbered with dross players.

26 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

@Wolfie20 is my Padawan. Not sure what happened to the other 18.

Wolfie, surely there are at least 19, not 18. Unless you retired a number. You are after all, numberless.

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

And this has nothing to do with Distan collecting his pension and Jagielka not being able to stay fit for more than two minutes at a time? Martinez hasn't replaced them adequately though. First Alcaraz and now Funes Mori. The guy wouldn't know a good centre back if one elbowed him in the face.

Martinez lucked out his first season with them as Moyes had built up a rock solid defense and he left it well alone.  Since then he's given them more licence to get forward and play football and it's resulted in them losing 18 pts from winning positions this season, including two games where they were a goal up with ONE minute of injury time remaining.  Good sides are built on good foundations.  None of his sides have been able to defend...

16 minutes ago, Casio said:

Paul Clement was great coach, as was McClaren... Don't know what nationality has anything to do with a manager's possibility of having success.

Hey, Martinez is foreign!

i'll agree to disagree, he managed Wigan that bankrupted itself, he had a good budget with Everton that performed poorly, I would rather stick with dazwaz..

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

this comment above scares me. One thing Martinez has proven at both Wigan and Everton is the ability to waste money and end up with a WEAK squad. The fact that others in this thread can only pick 3 decent players from the Everton squad is testament to just how sshyte Martinez is. The first thing that happens under poor management is player reputations suffer, it happened here at Derby only 5 months ago when all our players were not good enough!

I would advise you to go and speak to some Wigan and Everton fans, as it appears you have outsider-syndrome, where the grass looks greener, when it truly isn't.

Only just noticed the same poster posted this. I can tell you that the Everton fans turned on Martinez way before the media even questioned him. Wigan were a steady mid-table side when he went there, and then plummeted through two relegations after being lumbered with dross players.

Wolfie, surely there are at least 19, not 18. Unless you retired a number. You are after all, numberless.

Roberto Martinez got the Everton job off the back of what he achieved at Wigan. You think that if after Wigan went down everyone was pointing the finger at Martinez, the answer is no. Otherwise he wouldn't of got a better job in Everton.

Now he's very unfashionable in the footballing media, everyone says he was shocking at Wigan and Everton. Very short term memories going on here, remember what everyone (lead by the media opinions) thought of Claudio Ranieri at the start of this season? Martinez has had success at clubs of a similar size to the Rams. Everyone needs to remember that Everton are a much bigger club than Derby, with big expectations, especially this season as everyone in the prem is looking at Leicester and saying 'what's our excuse for not being at the top?'.

Archived