Roberto Martinez

SantosHalper

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm not suggesting I want him for our next manager, but I think people are over egging the 'fail' button as usual.

Not me. I've learned my lesson about managers. I thought Paul Jewell was a solid appointment. I thought Paul Clement was a master stroke, and I was distinctly unimpressed with TBE.

I just think Martinez has solid form for producing attractive, ineffective, football teams. He might com here and be a legend, but I doubt he would, and I doubt it'll be him anyway.

I think people forget how great our club is?

We have a owner who is a fan, we have a world class academy at our disposal, a fantastic ground, passionate fans and to top it all "our history"

why shouldn't we try and catch a top manager?

No no no no no. Everyone knows I'm not Wassall's biggest fan but I'd rather he becomes our manager than the clown Martinez. Terrible manager. Anyone who wants him it will be like watching Derby at the back end of last season, conceding lots of goals. In addition I'd hate to listen to his voice week in week out. It's enough that I have to turn the channel over whenever Martinez is on. The man is beyond delusional and would make us even more of a laughing stock. One good game by Keogh and he will be named the next Bobby Moore.

3 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

I think people forget how great our club is?

We have a owner who is a fan, we have a world class academy at our disposal, a fantastic ground, passionate fans and to top it all "our history"

why shouldn't we try and catch a top manager?

Because Martinez is anything but a top manager. His interviews worm his way to win back over the fans. Everton fans realised this when it was too late

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Because Martinez is anything but a top manager. His interviews worm his way to win back over the fans. Everton fans realised this when it was too late

sorry mate, that sounded like I thought Martinez was a good idea, I don't believe we should be going for anybody's cast offs.

I had a short exchange with Ossieram on the next manager thread. My initial thoughts are he did a good job at Wigan keeping them up and playing pretty stylish football. He also started well at Everton so I was interested and curious but reading between the lines I get the feeling he might be a bit like Clement .. Sound technician preaching possession but not doing enough with it 

To succeed like that I think you need a certain type of player - I am not sure we have enough of those. I wouldn't be disappointed but I'd be worried that it might not work .. He'd be a gamble with long odds. 

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Too late for what? They've finished mid table. Leicester's amazing achievement aside, do you really believe that Everton's squad is as strong as the other teams in the top 6?

4 minutes ago, Anon said:

Too late for what? They've finished mid table. Leicester's amazing achievement aside, do you really believe that Everton's squad is as strong as the other teams in the top 6?

Yes it really is. At least as strong as Southampton's or West Ham's

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yes it really is. At least as strong as Southampton's or West Ham's

Fair enough, I'll give you West Ham's. I just think the reaction to a mid table finish from Everton fans and football fans in general is completely over the top. It's still the right decision to sack him because the players obviously don't want him there. They haven't tried at all in their last few games.

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

Other than Lukaku and at a push Barkley, what Everton players would get in any of the current top 6's teams?

Coleman, Baines, James Mcgarthy,Jagielka,Mirallas,Deloufeu. Maybe not all starters but would easily get in their matchday squads. Easy to look at it from one side but how many players apart from Ogbonna and Payet would get into any other top 6 team? Everton showed a few years ago that their team has the potential to do well in the league. Fact is that under Moyes Everton were a consistently top 8 team but Martinez has completely ruined these foundations. Anyone who wants Martinez here are either completely bonkers or have been living in a cave the last few years.

Martinez would be a great appointment. If I was Mel he would be my top target and I'd chuck money at him. Don't think he would have a problem building a strong squad here.

My favourite should we appoint a new man to replace DW at the end of the season.

19 minutes ago, sage said:

Amusing to hear FA Cup Winners described as clowns by people who have achieved fook all.

And in that season they got relegated. You're deluding yourself if you think he is a good manager. I'd rather Wassall stayed on here than Martinez

2 minutes ago, Casio said:

Martinez would be a great appointment. If I was Mel he would be my top target and I'd chuck money at him. Don't think he would have a problem building a strong squad here.

My favourite should we appoint a new man to replace DW at the end of the season.

Really???

Wow!!!!

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Really???

Wow!!!!

Whats so shocking? He's unfashionable at the minute because of how the media are treating him. At the start of the season when Everton were doing well was a completely different story! He kept Wigan fighting in the prem and won the FA cup. I think we'd all love that as Derby fans and would admit our club are more the size of Wigan and Swansea currently where he had success rather than Everton.

Who is your favoured choice then should DW depart at the end of season?

29 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

sorry mate, that sounded like I thought Martinez was a good idea, I don't believe we should be going for anybody's cast offs.

What a stupid comment. We are Derby County, who do you think we are? So you wouldn't have Mourinho cause he's a Chelsea 'cast-off'. 

5 minutes ago, Casio said:

Whats so shocking? He's unfashionable at the minute because of how the media are treating him. At the start of the season when Everton were doing well was a completely different story! He kept Wigan fighting in the prem and won the FA cup. I think we'd all love that as Derby fans and would admit our club are more the size of Wigan and Swansea currently where he had success rather than Everton.

Who is your favoured choice then should DW depart at the end of season?

No chance Martinez will come here if we are in the championship, his ego is too big for that. If we get promoted then some will say Wassall deserves to stay. If we get promoted and get rid of Wassall then we should be looking at people like Sanches Flores, Brendan Rodgers or Martin O neil

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Coleman, Baines, James Mcgarthy,Jagielka,Mirallas,Deloufeu. Maybe not all starters but would easily get in their matchday squads. Easy to look at it from one side but how many players apart from Ogbonna and Payet would get into any other top 6 team? Everton showed a few years ago that their team has the potential to do well in the league. Fact is that under Moyes Everton were a consistently top 8 team but Martinez has completely ruined these foundations. Anyone who wants Martinez here are either completely bonkers or have been living in a cave the last few years.

Maybe Coleman from that list and that's it, Deulofeu is talented enough but a little inconsistent.

I don't think Everton's squad is anything like a top 6 squad but Martinez still underperformed.

I still think he's a good manager though and I'd have him here, sometimes things just don't work out at certain clubs.

He won't come though, because I assume his pay off from Everton will be worth around £10m and generally these things are reliant on the manager staying unemployed.

Archived