Roberto Martinez

SantosHalper

I'm amazed by the amount of people who think Martinez isn't a good manager, based on this season at Everton.. what he did at Wigan was nothing short of a miracle and it was only last year that sky and the BBC were lauding him as one of the best in the Prem.

I'd have him in  a heartbeat.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Casio said:

Roberto Martinez got the Everton job off the back of what he achieved at Wigan. You think that if after Wigan went down everyone was pointing the finger at Martinez, the answer is no. Otherwise he wouldn't of got a better job in Everton.

Now he's very unfashionable in the footballing media, everyone says he was shocking at Wigan and Everton. Very short term memories going on here, remember what everyone (lead by the media opinions) thought of Claudio Ranieri at the start of this season? Martinez has had success at clubs of a similar size to the Rams. Everyone needs to remember that Everton are a much bigger club than Derby, with big expectations, especially this season as everyone in the prem is looking at Leicester and saying 'what's our excuse for not being at the top?'.

2 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

I'm amazed by the amount of people who think Martinez isn't a good manager, based on this season at Everton.. what he did at Wigan was nothing short of a miracle and it was only last year that sky and the BBC were lauding him as one of the best in the Prem.

I'd have him in  a heartbeat.

Harry Redknapp won an FA Cup with Pompey. How highly to you regard him? He also got them from the bottom of the championship, up to the Premier League.

27 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Wolfie, surely there are at least 19, not 18. Unless you retired a number. You are after all, numberless.

There is no Wolfie1. Thank you for caring, though.:cool:

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Harry Redknapp won an FA Cup with Pompey. How highly to you regard him? He also got them from the bottom of the championship, up to the Premier League.

I'm not talking about Harry Redknapp... who by the way doesn't seem to have that much of a negative effect on us has he?

1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

how about looking outside the box, some great coaches in the world?

how many foreign coaches have we had?

We've recently had a highly respected foreign based coach and that was just peachy.

What's foreign got to do with it?.

I thought the concensus was that we needed an expereinced replacement for DW (if he is indeed replaced)?. Going for another risky appointment would be PR suicide for MEL if it didn't come off. Again.

I know any new coach would be risky but I doubt that Mel would "do another Clement - type appointment" - at least without the aid of polygraph testing when asked the question: "Are you going to play the Derby way"

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

No, but you're talking about people who've won an FA Cup.

Okay, we got Harry in and things got better, suppports my point if anything.

We're just going to have to disagree. Good polarizing topic is Martinez!

Martinez was over rated and is now rated correctly by the media, just a manager that got way more credit for winning the FA cup than other managers because of his personality rather than on the pitch achievements. Terrible league record and would be a disaster here, if you can't put out a solid team in the Champ you are doomed.

15 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

We've recently had a highly respected foreign based coach and that was just peachy.

What's foreign got to do with it?.

I thought the concensus was that we needed an expereinced replacement for DW (if he is indeed replaced)?. Going for another risky appointment would be PR suicide for MEL if it didn't come off. Again.

I know any new coach would be risky but I doubt that Mel would "do another Clement - type appointment" - at least without the aid of polygraph testing when asked the question: "Are you going to play the Derby way"

nope I agree, I was thinking that maybe we should look further afield, it has nothing to do with being foreign but trying a successful manager that competed at a decent level abroad, look Mauricio Pottechino wasn't a bad bet by Southampton?

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Martinez was over rated and is now rated correctly by the media, just a manager that got way more credit for winning the FA cup than other managers because of his personality rather than on the pitch achievements. Terrible league record and would be a disaster here, if you can't put out a solid team in the Champ you are doomed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Mart%C3%ADnez#Swansea_City

Have a read mate, would by no means describe his league career as a terrible record.

Highlights include;

"Swansea's form improved and they lost only four games out of the next 30, including a number of key league victories against opponents such as Reading and Wolverhampton Wanderers", While at Swansea.

"they recorded wins against Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, and Newcastle United, among others. This remarkable late rally, which involved seven wins in nine games, led to Wigan finishing 15th in the league — seven points clear of relegation", While at Wigan (year before relegation and FA cup win after being bottom of the league for most of the season).

"On 12 April 2014, Martínez led Everton to a 1–0 win away at Sunderland to move Everton up to fourth place in the Premier League and register a club record seventh straight Premier League win which also gave them a club record Premier League points tally with five games remaining", Everton 2013/14 season finishing 5th.

Managerial record by team and tenure

TeamFromToRecord

P     W   D     L   Win %

Swansea City 24 February 200715 June 2009 126  63   37   26  50.0

Wigan Athletic 15 June 20095 June 2013         175  51   47   77  29.1

Everton 5 June 201312 May 2016                    143  61   39   43  42.7

Total                                                                  444 175 123 146 39.4

Win rate at each team and overall according to wiki.

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

Win rate at each team and overall according to wiki.

Would you say Sam Allardyce is a poor manager? Wiki has his win percentage as 39.1% over his career. 

11 minutes ago, Casio said:

Would you say Sam Allardyce is a poor manager? Wiki has his win percentage as 39.1% over his career. 

I would say that Allardyce is a good manager for teams looking to avoid the drop from the prem at any cost. He wouldn't be a choice of mine to manage us. There are managers that you could see them fitting at, with Allardyce I could have seen him carrying on the work Pulis did at Stoke (if they wanted to carry on) keeping teams like WBA, Burnley, Boro, up or even top half next season. However I don't think he could manage Liverpool or Man Utd back into the Champions League places, or taking over at Swansea, Southampton and get them into Europe.

Martinez is a strange one, he got Wigan on that run from no where to keep them up, won the FA cup but got relegated at the same time, Started off well at Everton but they have been too inconsistent this season. Maybe he is just an impact manager, get the good out of a team for a season or so but then when he starts to build his own team up he starts to become unstuck.

4 hours ago, Casio said:

Whats so shocking? He's unfashionable at the minute because of how the media are treating him. At the start of the season when Everton were doing well was a completely different story! He kept Wigan fighting in the prem and won the FA cup. I think we'd all love that as Derby fans and would admit our club are more the size of Wigan and Swansea currently where he had success rather than Everton.

Who is your favoured choice then should DW depart at the end of season?

He's getting the treatment his record this season deserves. Everton have a decent squad but they have seriously under achieved - both in results and more worryingly, performance, some of which have been dreadful. Some of his interviews have been embarrassing!

Not sure there's a particular choice I would go for but I have a list in mind which I definitely wouldn't want at Derby which in addition to Martinez, includesRowett.

4 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Below average manager who has dined out on one success, can't build a solid team and has regressed John Stones by a year. If he became manager here we'd be doomed. Honestly the draw to this guy by fans and media blows my mind, the guy is no better than Wassall.

The only person who's "regressed" John Stones, is John Stones.

Never as good as the hype, I'd got as far as saying until he stops believing the hype he'll become more and more of a liability.

The amount of times he's caught out of position, bullied or caught on the ball is a joke for someone who's allegedly one of the best defenders the English game has produced and worth 40m quid.

If anything it's Martinez's "loyalty" to him and Barley (another that flatters to deceive) that's cost him his job.

Long spells without Coleman and Baines haven't helped.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

He's getting the treatment his record this season deserves. Everton have a decent squad but they have seriously under achieved - both in results and more worryingly, performance, some of which have been dreadful. Some of his interviews have been embarrassing!

Not sure there's a particular choice I would go for but I have a list in mind which I definitely wouldn't want at Derby which in addition to Martinez, includesRowett.

This is what I love about Derby fans, love to moan and know everything about the negatives but when asked 'okay then, what would you suggest?'

'Ermmm... dunno, but I know he would be ****, no doubt about it!'. 

Must be hard making a list of everyone you wouldn't want, just waiting for Sir Alex or Jose to throw their names in the hat by the sounds of it...

57 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Wouldn't want sir Alex or Jose, they've wasted far too much money on dross in the past. 

That sir, is surely one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Played attacking, exciting football, won more honours than any other manager in English football in the last 30 years and managed to bring through some fantastic youth players. 

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I cannot see how (regardless of how unrealistic/totally bonkers that situation would be) why you would ever reject such a manager. 

Archived