Roberto Martinez

SantosHalper

2 hours ago, Casio said:

This is what I love about Derby fans, love to moan and know everything about the negatives but when asked 'okay then, what would you suggest?'

'Ermmm... dunno, but I know he would be ****, no doubt about it!'. 

Must be hard making a list of everyone you wouldn't want, just waiting for Sir Alex or Jose to throw their names in the hat by the sounds of it...

One post where I don't agree with your opinion and you take the view that generally I'm a moaner. You're making yourself look a bit immature and / or silly!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roberto Martinez's superb FA Cup win with Wigan masked over a pretty terrible job he did in the league. He took over a pretty decent Wigan side which Steve Bruce left behind. They had money to spend and a solid squad.

Yet they immediately went backwards under him, and twice avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth before finally falling. He made Wigan worse, largely due to his lack of defensive organisation skills.

He took over an Everton side who were already top six quality, made them better as an attacking force and led them to their best ever season. But it was only a matter of time before they imploded defensively.

Martinez isn't a bad manager, but he's not a particularly great one either. His stubbornness is pretty unreal. This is what he said about two weeks ago, when asked if his side would be better adopting Leicester's approach.

“We are not going to be a team that is just going to be solid, that keeps a clean sheet and waits for a chance to score. We have been built to take control of the game, to break teams down from open play. That is something I get a real joy from,” Everton's boss explained.

“The modern trend now in football is to work on being very organised and hitting teams on the counter. That is the easiest and most economical way of playing. You don't get hurt. I don't want to be like that. As a manager, I will never look away from the style I want.”

7 hours ago, Howard Canitbé said:

That sir, is surely one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Played attacking, exciting football, won more honours than any other manager in English football in the last 30 years and managed to bring through some fantastic youth players. 

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I cannot see how (regardless of how unrealistic/totally bonkers that situation would be) why you would ever reject such a manager. 

He was being sarcastic, mate…

Archived