Gladys

ramsbottom

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the pleasure of spending an evening with him a few years ago, he comes over every November and is still big mates with john o'hare, my dad is mates with john aswell so john Turned up unannounced one evening at my dads with Alan for a cup of tea, my old man rang me up and told me to get round asap, spent about three hours with them having a real good chin wag about the good old days, all very surreal but two legends of DCFC and two of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

Great player back in the day from what I've heard and seems like a nice chap. Some of the older people I know still talk about his crossing ability today.

26 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

He's pretty active on Twitter?

Yep, especially considering his age, not many 60+ year olds on twitter. Does seem to have some, shall we say very American political views, which I suppose is to be expected having lived over there so long.

Great story about Gladys ,when he first came to Derby some of the existing players made remarks about shall we say his lack of robustness.

BC took them out on the BBG pitch and told them anyone who could run the wing with a brick wall two feet away was brave enough for him . Great player.

12 hours ago, loweman2 said:

I had the pleasure of spending an evening with him a few years ago, he comes over every November and is still big mates with john o'hare, my dad is mates with john aswell so john Turned up unannounced one evening at my dads with Alan for a cup of tea, my old man rang me up and told me to get round asap, spent about three hours with them having a real good chin wag about the good old days, all very surreal but two legends of DCFC and two of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

Here are the boys

image.png

I had the pleasure of meeting him at Cathedral Quarter hotel a few years ago. I was doing some work for the club at the time and was invited to the private party after the " Best Rams XI" night at The Quad... I have to be honest and say I was slightly awestruck by those in attendance.. I've been lucky enough through the years to work with and meet some real legends in the music industry but this was altogether different. A real list of Rams and football legends. Roy Mac, David Nish, Archie, Colin Boulton, Alan Hinton,Dave Mackay...blimey even John Motson and Graham Richards were there. 

Alan was just charming. Very made up and emotional night for him. Had a lovely conversation with him about the kids 50p corner which I used to stand in at BBG and reminded him that he used to smile to us when he came over to take corners from that side.

John Motson said that he was unfortunate to play in a time where England didn't use wingers otherwise he would have had many more caps. 

59 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Great story about Gladys ,when he first came to Derby some of the existing players made remarks about shall we say his lack of robustness.

BC took them out on the BBG pitch and told them anyone who could run the wing with a brick wall two feet away was brave enough for him . Great player.

Spot on King Kev!   Stanley Mathews never had a good game at the BBG for this very reason.

His accuracy with crossing the ball was legendary, as those who saw Ronnie Webster's goal against Man City in the 71 / 72 season will attest. Ron sent a long diagonal cross to Gladys, who was on the half way line in front of the Popside. Ron kept running towards the Normanton End and had a lot of ground to make up, but after comprehensively beating his full back, Gladys had to delay his cross just long enough to allow Ron to get within range. Over came the pin-point cross a yard in front of Ron, still two yards short of the penalty area, who threw himself forward to score with a bullet header from almost 30 yards, certainly the longest and most spectacular header I have ever witnessed.

It was on YouTube at one time, may still be there.

On 21/04/2016 at 08:46, King Kevin said:

Not being picky, but I got the impression it was Peter Taylor who said it. He seemd to have a lot of respect for Peter.

This may be my memory playing tricks but I think that he also lost money in a business venture at about the time his son died and he was leaving. That plus his popularity meant that around 20,000 of us went to his testamonial match at the BBG, which was a pretty unheard of figure for that sort of game, and the proceeds helped him to move to the States.

3 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

This may be my memory playing tricks but I think that he also lost money in a business venture at about the time his son died and he was leaving. That plus his popularity meant that around 20,000 of us went to his testamonial match at the BBG, which was a pretty unheard of figure for that sort of game, and the proceeds helped him to move to the States.

Over 24000 at his testimonial, which came after the death of his son, and he trusted a business associate too much with his investment and his business folded. Everyone felt for him and turned up to support him in his hour of need.

Archived