Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Not sure why he was out there for the 2nd goal, but i would also question where our right back had gone?

The defenders were in the box for a corner but rather than getting a team mate to go out and close down the short corner, Keogh went in to headless chicken mode and did it himself!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

The defenders were in the box for a corner but rather than getting a team mate to go out and close down the short corner, Keogh went in to headless chicken mode and did it himself!

Or alternatively, at the corner the man Keogh was marking moved out of the centre of the box so that a short corner could be taken and Keogh goes with him along with Will Hughes, who leaves his position on the post.  Not headless chicken but excellent anticipation - bit like the certain goal he kicked off the line (this week and last)

Keogh successfully blocks the first attempted cross but not the second (made by their most expensive and probably best player) and Max Lowe lets the midfielder he was marking run past him for a free header on the near post.

Perhaps, instead of criticising Keogh, you might say well done for reacting quickly, along with Will. You might criticise a young  right back (Jamie Hanson) for not reacting quickly enough, but there's the difference between experience and inexperience. Same with Max who perhaps should have headed the cross away, or at least put in a challenge. You might also congratulate Wolves for a short corner routine that worked.  But then there are some on here who think Keogh can do no right.

On 05/11/2016 at 18:52, Alpha said:

You don't need an armband to lead. And having an armband doesn't mean you're a leader. 

You need to understand how the players click as people to pick a captain. 

Always makes me chuckle when people who watch Keogh a few hours a week seem to know he isn't a good captain and who would be better suited, yet all the managers over recent years (excluding Clement) thought he was the best choice. 

11 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Or alternatively, at the corner the man Keogh was marking moved out of the centre of the box so that a short corner could be taken and Keogh goes with him along with Will Hughes, who leaves his position on the post.  Not headless chicken but excellent anticipation - bit like the certain goal he kicked off the line (this week and last)

Keogh successfully blocks the first attempted cross but not the second (made by their most expensive and probably best player) and Max Lowe lets the midfielder he was marking run past him for a free header on the near post.

Perhaps, instead of criticising Keogh, you might say well done for reacting quickly, along with Will. You might criticise a young  right back (Jamie Hanson) for not reacting quickly enough, but there's the difference between experience and inexperience. Same with Max who perhaps should have headed the cross away, or at least put in a challenge. You might also congratulate Wolves for a short corner routine that worked.  But then there are some on here who think Keogh can do no right.

And I'm not one of them.

To have a 6'4" central defender stood out on the touchline when a cross is put in and headed home is poor defending.

An experienced defender should be sending a team mate out there, not having an adrenaline rush and racing out there.

His concentration levels are poor because he's always waiting to argue with someone.

He was very poor yesterday but as I said, his goal line block has probably won us the game.

Keogh was not at fault for the second yesterday, Lowe was. He's young, he'll learn. 

Keogh was poor with the ball at his feet on Saturday but Pearce had a worse performance defensively with the odd poor decision, neither were 'bad' though, they were dealing with a second half onslaught where two young full-backs (especially Hanson) needed more support than otherwise normal. 

Criticise him for his passing, his sharpness, but yesterday he was fine and his block on the line won us the game as much as Bent's shot did. 

People criticise Keogh all day long but have you had a look at the two starting CB's across the league for each team? How many truly 'better' players are there out there to challenge him? A handful, it's why he's frequently looked at by lower level PL teams, and I consider this a Keogh out of form. Even then he's still above most of the league's defenders.

7 minutes ago, Alex W said:

Keogh was not at fault for the second yesterday, Lowe was. He's young, he'll learn. 

Keogh was poor with the ball at his feet on Saturday but Pearce had a worse performance defensively with the odd poor decision, neither were 'bad' though, they were dealing with a second half onslaught where two young full-backs (especially Hanson) needed more support than otherwise normal. 

Criticise him for his passing, his sharpness, but yesterday he was fine and his block on the line won us the game as much as Bent's shot did. 

People criticise Keogh all day long but have you had a look at the two starting CB's across the league for each team? How many truly 'better' players are there out there to challenge him? A handful, it's why he's frequently looked at by lower level PL teams, and I consider this a Keogh out of form. Even then he's still above most of the league's defenders.

I think he's been very good this season but yesterday he was poor.

Russell equally to blame for second goal by giving away a needless free kick by putting a lazy challenge in.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

And I'm not one of them.

To have a 6'4" central defender stood out on the touchline when a cross is put in and headed home is poor defending.

An experienced defender should be sending a team mate out there, not having an adrenaline rush and racing out there.

His concentration levels are poor because he's always waiting to argue with someone.

He was very poor yesterday but as I said, his goal line block has probably won us the game.

It's up to you whether you think I was aiming the comment at you GSR but we are now on 77 pages of the thread and it is clear from a cursory scroll through that there are some on here who will ignore anything the guy does right in a game and just concentrate on his actual and supposed errors.  Using expressions like 'headless chicken mode' and 'his concentration levels are poor' in two separate contributions on this page alone, put you on one side of the argument.

I don't think he was 'very poor yesterday'.  His goal line clearance alone, which won us at least two extra points, was enough to make his performance much better than 'very poor'.  I also don't think he was at fault for the goal.  The man HE was marking moved out of the centre.  What was Keogh supposed to do?  Wave him away? Tell Hanson to leave the player he was marking in the centre? Tell someone else to go, like Darren Bent? Let Will Hughes try and block the cross all by himself?  This happened in fractions of a second; Keogh blocked the first cross very successfully and nearly blocked the second, from a good player. The player who scored was allowed to run free by a young guy making his second full appearance and there's no guarantee that had Keogh been in the middle that the goal wouldn't have been scored anyway.

And in the end, we won.

Every goal ever scored has a 'mistake' somewhere in it from the team conceding it and pretty often a defender is involved by the nature of the game and the position.  Perhaps it would be better if you started a new thread: Richard Keogh - always got a good performance in him.  Trouble is that those that do dislike him on principle won't contribute 

9 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

It's up to you whether you think I was aiming the comment at you GSR but we are now on 77 pages of the thread and it is clear from a cursory scroll through that there are some on here who will ignore anything the guy does right in a game and just concentrate on his actual and supposed errors.  Using expressions like 'headless chicken mode' and 'his concentration levels are poor' in two separate contributions on this page alone, put you on one side of the argument.

I don't think he was 'very poor yesterday'.  His goal line clearance alone, which won us at least two extra points, was enough to make his performance much better than 'very poor'.  I also don't think he was at fault for the goal.  The man HE was marking moved out of the centre.  What was Keogh supposed to do?  Wave him away? Tell Hanson to leave the player he was marking in the centre? Tell someone else to go, like Darren Bent? Let Will Hughes try and block the cross all by himself?  This happened in fractions of a second; Keogh blocked the first cross very successfully and nearly blocked the second, from a good player. The player who scored was allowed to run free by a young guy making his second full appearance and there's no guarantee that had Keogh been in the middle that the goal wouldn't have been scored anyway.

And in the end, we won.

Every goal ever scored has a 'mistake' somewhere in it from the team conceding it and pretty often a defender is involved by the nature of the game and the position.  Perhaps it would be better if you started a new thread: Richard Keogh - always got a good performance in him.  Trouble is that those that do dislike him on principle won't contribute 

I'm afraid you're very blinkered.

You make reference to two quotes I make about his performance on Saturday but choose to overlook 'he has been very good this season'.

Just as some have nothing good to say about him, there are others who won't accept any criticism of his game and I think that is why he comes in for such unnecessary flak.

As captain, he should be organising the team for the corner in my opinion, he didn't and as a consequence ended up doing somebody else's job and left a nice big gap for someone to run into and score. To not have your centre backs defending 6 years to penalty spot from a corner is poor and hence we got what we deserved.

It seems no matter how we play, or what we result we get, Keogh is going to be criticised for mistakes. He's going to make mistakes, show me 90 minutes of any player who doesn't make the wrong decision, pick the wrong pass, etc. 

He's a good championship defender in my opinion, we don't have the 2nd best defence in the league for no reason, and I'm fairly certain he's been a stonewall part of that. 

Who would you replace him with? I'm fairly certain you'll find they always have a mistake in them as well. Four (?) DCFC managers and 2 ROI managers see how good a defender he is. They can't all be wrong.

It could be the last game of the season, Derby need a win, Keogh could score a hat-trick and take us up but some would still find the one thing he did wrong and focus on that.

6 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Am I right to presume Keogh will be starting for the Republic on Saturday?

I'm not an England fan, I support Austria so will be tuned in to the clash in Vienna on Saturday hoping for a much needed win. Be good to see how Keogh gets on too at the same time.

Probably or probably not. That also same for Alex Pearce too. 

P.S Come on Austria.. Oh and come on Serbia when they are play Wales lol. ??

I don't see every Ireland game, but I find it strange that Keogh isn't their first name on the team sheet when it comes to centre backs. He's largely played in the bigger games they've had over the past 12-18 months and been instrumental in some of their best performances/results in living memory. He was incredible against Germany, as was Cyrus Christie that night. 

In the Euros, after they got dicked by Belgium 3-0 and Keogh came back into the starting XI against Italy, it was undoubtedly his ball retention and defensive ability that gave them the platform to build on and ultimately win the game and keep a clean sheet. Duffy made a couple more clearances, but Keogh had the best pass accuracy of any player that started the game on the entire pitch. 

Just now, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Is Pearce an Irish international then? Didn't know that.

Yes.. Check on dcfc site there is article about him and Keogh in the squad against Austria, Cyrus Christie would have joined up with them if he wasn't injured.. 

Archived