Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

46 minutes ago, mumblemumble said:

Totally agree, can't fault his passion, just his sudden lapses in concentration.

I'd rather have 11 less talented players with passion and pride playing for us than 11 more talented players that do not feel the same emotions that we do as fans after every game.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

it's his composure and decision making, oh and his jumping in his own area, that are suspect.

Agree with that. I rate keogh at this level, but I'm old school and would love a big hard ******* at CB.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CastletonRam said:

Goal was his fault Saturday. But he's a legend so what a guy. 

We didn't played on Saturday. Epic failed... ???????

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump but I've just been reading an interesting interview with Xabi Alonso in the Guardian on slide tackles, which Keogh does a lot. I'll post a few tweets highlighting the area I'm specifically referring too here:

Keogh is a very good all round defender but his positioning is of league 2 standard, which means that he has to do a lot of last ditch slide tackle challenges to recover from his poor positioning. This is also the reason why you never see Shackell doing slide tackles like Keogh, because Shackell's positioning is fantastic. Fans,particularly English fans love seeing their defenders doing slide tackles for some reason. One of the best defenders I've ever seen Maldini never used to slide tackle because his positioning was fantastic which meant he was never in the position where he needed to slide tackle. If Keogh works on his positioning then he will be in the top 3 centre backs in this league. However, he isn't a young kid, he is 30 year olds so it will take longer to mature his positioning as he has been used to a certain style of defending throughout his whole career. 

Another quote by Alonso:

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Sorry for the bump but I've just been reading an interesting interview with Xabi Alonso in the Guardian on slide tackles, which Keogh does a lot. I'll post a few tweets highlighting the area I'm specifically referring too here:

Keogh is a very good all round defender but his positioning is of league 2 standard, which means that he has to do a lot of last ditch slide tackle challenges to recover from his poor positioning. This is also the reason why you never see Shackell doing slide tackles like Keogh, because Shackell's positioning is fantastic. Fans,particularly English fans love seeing their defenders doing slide tackles for some reason. One of the best defenders I've ever seen Maldini never used to slide tackle because his positioning was fantastic which meant he was never in the position where he needed to slide tackle. If Keogh works on his positioning then he will be in the top 3 centre backs in this league. However, he isn't a young kid, he is 30 year olds so it will take longer to mature his positioning as he has been used to a certain style of defending throughout his whole career. 

Another quote by Alonso:

So you didn't see him playing then? Master of sliding tackles.

8 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

So you didn't see him playing then? Master of sliding tackles.

A lot of those slide tackles were when he was goal side or in 50/50 challenges. In all of those clips Maldini was always in control of the situation and knew what he was doing. Also that's only 1 minutes 30 worth of slide tackles in 24 years which is very impressive. The difference is that Keogh's slide tackles are more out of desperation when the striker gets in behind him as a last ditch challenge. Maldini was also a left back too in those clips which made a difference, he hardly ever got caught out when he played as a centre back

3 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Have you compared Keogh's number of slide tackles per minutes on the pitch, versus the other 80+ CBs in the league? Or made a rash assumption? 

No I use the good old tool of watching matches with my own eyes, he is on the floor a lot. He is much better when he jockeys rather than attempting to slide tackle.

40 minutes ago, McLovin said:

One of the best defenders I've ever seen Maldini never used to slide tackle because his positioning was fantastic which meant he was never in the position where he needed to slide tackle

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

No I use the good old tool of watching matches with my own eyes, he is on the floor a lot. He is much better when he jockeys rather than attempting to slide tackle.

You're Derby's scout and I claim my £5. :p

Let's get one thing straight before the vultures come in, this isn't me bashing Keogh. It's a genuine criticism of him that he needs to work on, just like Shackell needs to work on his distribution or Hughes with his shooting but unfortunately there aren't any threads specifically for them. The reason why Keogh "has a mistake in him" is not because he is a bad footballer but because his positioning is terrible. He is generally pretty sound in other aspects of his defending but his positioning, or lack of, is one glaring omission in his game for me. I get the impression that Keogh likes doing slide tackles to please the crowd because it 'shows passion' when he should have the same attitude that Alonso has that slide tackling is a negative, not a positive. In this aspect the crowd are to blame as we encourage him to do it. Alonso alluded to it in the second tweet I posted that in England , tackling is seen as a quality when it shouldn't be as it is a necessity. If one of the brightest brains in football says this then we should sit back and listen to him. 

Archived