Brexit implications for DCFC

Stive Pesley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35919247

So leaving the EU would remove the employment rights of all EU nationals to work in the UK without a work visa

Current rules say that non-EU players have to have played in 75% of their countries internationals to qualify for a work visa

As it stands - the remnants of Nigel's "no foreigners" policy and our pretty poor (non-existent?) foreign scouting network leave us in good shape should this happen

From the first team squad we'd lose Marcus Olsson, Andi Weimann and Ivan Calero I think. Keogh, Christie and Hendrick would qualify as international regulars

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35919247

So leaving the EU would remove the employment rights of all EU nationals to work in the UK without a work visa

Current rules say that non-EU players have to have played in 75% of their countries internationals to qualify for a work visa

As it stands - the remnants of Nigel's "no foreigners" policy and our pretty poor (non-existent?) foreign scouting network leave us in good shape should this happen

From the first team squad we'd lose Marcus Olsson, Andi Weimann and Ivan Calero I think. Keogh, Christie and Hendrick would qualify as international regulars

You say non-EU players have to have played 75%... but isn't Sweden, Austria and Spain in the EU?

39 minutes ago, Srg said:

You say non-EU players have to have played 75%... but isn't Sweden, Austria and Spain in the EU?

Correct but this is based on the Brexit scenario of us being outside of the EU. So players from Sweden, Austria etc would in theory be treated the same as Argentinians or Africans for instance.

This "Brexit scenario" is based on the presumption of absolutely 0 working-labour deals being struck with any EU countries and also presumes the Home Office wouldn't change their entry requirements. Both of which are unlikely.

Suggestions of "Scaremongering" have been over used by "outters" for every reason given to remain in the EU. However in this particular case, I agree it is scaremongering.

Yeah sorry - I didn;'t want to turn this into another "Brexit Brollocks" thread, I mean - even if this happened it would be two years before we actually "brexited" so who knows how our squad would look by then anyway - and as others have said, they would no doubt try and sort it all out before then.

I was more thinking about the implications around the number of EU based players currently in the UK divisions - who aren't actually that good but are potentially supressing home-grown talent. We're in pretty good shape and that shows our commitment to our academy etc

38 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I'm sure the BBC will push more of this stuff in the next few weeks. Whatever it takes to frighten people into staying aboard the sinking ship. 

Thats all the EU referendum is, scaremongering about how bad the other side is without putting forward any of there won arguments

3 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah sorry - I didn;'t want to turn this into another "Brexit Brollocks" thread, I mean - even if this happened it would be two years before we actually "brexited" so who knows how our squad would look by then anyway - and as others have said, they would no doubt try and sort it all out before then.

I was more thinking about the implications around the number of EU based players currently in the UK divisions - who aren't actually that good but are potentially supressing home-grown talent. We're in pretty good shape and that shows our commitment to our academy etc

Its a worthwhile discussion.....

Not sure about the cause and effect of all this I must say. Hardly any non-UK foreigners in the League in the 70's and the English national side was still outplayed by Italy, Germany (W), Holland etc...etc... So having the field relatively clear for all the home-grown talent merely seemed to confirm there wasn't that much around.

Of course this is all fatally simplistic and ignores all the relative advances in youth training, academies etc that have taken place in the meantime.

24 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think a lot of people are supporting exit as they favour less foreigners in the country. However that probably doesn't stretch to football.

Like any normal person I bloody hate foreigners, except the ones I have met who all have seemed very nice.

Reducing the number of foreign footballers in British football would be a good thing in my opinion and definitely wouldn't make me change my mind over they way I would vote in the referendum. When we played Germany last weekend, Lothar Matthaus commented on the number of Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea players in the England team and said that we need to reduce the amount of foreign players in the league. 

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Reducing the number of foreign footballers in British football would be a good thing in my opinion and definitely wouldn't make me change my mind over they way I would vote in the referendum. When we played Germany last weekend, Lothar Matthaus commented on the number of Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea players in the England team and said that we need to reduce the amount of foreign players in the league. 

Isn't his logic flawed when all of our players play in England, but not all of Germany's play in Germany... and we won?

Just now, Srg said:

Isn't his logic flawed when all of our players play in England, but not all of Germany's play in Germany... and we won?

Not really. German players are given a chance to prove themselves in Germany and then the top clubs sign them and give money to the German teams that bring them through. English teams don't give English players the same sort of chance and as such they just remain here with the smaller clubs rather than improve and move on to better things. And I'll wait until the Euro's are over before claiming to be a better team than Germany.

In response to someone saying Keogh and Christie would qualify through international appearances, do bear in mind they're as English as the next man. Just because they've Irish grandparents isn't grounds to consider deporting them. Plus there've always been separate UK/Irish living/working agreements that are nothing to do with the EU.

As someone else has said, the likes of most players have residency through living in the UK a long time.

Where there could be an impact is with the U21s. How the likes of Elsnick, Koblenz, Morsh and Calero would be treated I'm not sure.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

In response to someone saying Keogh and Christie would qualify through international appearances, do bear in mind they're as English as the next man. Just because they've Irish grandparents isn't grounds to consider deporting them.

Begorah! Don't talk shoite! :D

Fair point.

Archived