We have no good wingers

Posh Ram

Still trying to work out how this happened considering we appeared to have good depth at the start of the season.

Russell - best of a bad bunch, works hard, lacks the quality

Ince - quite clearly a brilliant footballer at times but his brain lets him down

Camara - who knows, but probably rubbish considering he can't get in over the incumbent pile of crap

Blackman - looks sort of lazy and disinterested, needs to play up front in a 4-4-2

Weimann - seriously bad, he's Conor Sammon but attractive, foreign and quick. Probably couldn't score in a brothel

Johnson - oh my god. Horrifically bad. Horrendous waste of money.

Anyone think we can pull off an Alf Ramsey-style "wingless wonders"? Because we have nobody to stick there. Maybe we'll have to start playing guys like Calero and Santos (are they even at the club???) 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ward would be our best winger if he was still here.

If we'd kept Ward and Dawkins, and just signed Ince, we'd be in a much better position than we are now. Two direct players in Ward and Russell and two intricate ones like Dawkins and Ince. Good balance. Obviously there may have been difficult circumstances around Dawkins but a player of his type.

Instead we have a mish mash of average players on big money that have been signed with no plan in mind.

Russell is not the best of a bad bunch. 

He runs and running apparently means "passion"

What does he do? What contribution comes with the running? His first touch is poor, his balance is poor, he regularly Bamford passes (under hits the most simple passes by thinking about the next move rather than the pass, his crossing is smashed to the CB on the nearest post, he doesn't score. 

Ince is the best of a bad bunch. 

I feel confident in saying that all of those named would be top Championship players when playing in a confident, attacking team. We need a manager who's got experience of getting out of this league and will play an attacking style of football. Once we appoint one I don't think it will be too long before those players you've mentioned start to improve and play more freely.

I think the main problem with that list is that there is only actually one winger on there, and he hasn't even been given any kind of a chance to show what he is like. 

Come the summer we need to actually sign wingers if want to keep playing this  4 3 3 formation not central players out wide. I know a lot of people didn't like Dawkins, but at the moment some of the people we play out wide make me wish Dawkins and Ward for that fact, were still here. 

2 minutes ago, Ramos said:

I think the main problem with that list is that there is only actually one winger on there, and he hasn't even been given any kind of a chance to show what he is like. 

Come the summer we need to actually sign wingers if want to keep playing this  4 3 3 formation not central players out wide. I know a lot of people didn't like Dawkins, but at the moment some of the people we play out wide make me wish Dawkins and Ward for that fact, were still here. 

Dawkins was class. 

The key to concentrated possession in the final third. Allowing the more aggressive players to do what they do.

You could rely on him and Hughes to get the pressure on and find the best man in the best position. 

28 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Still trying to work out how this happened considering we appeared to have good depth at the start of the season.

Russell - best of a bad bunch, works hard, lacks the quality

Ince - quite clearly a brilliant footballer at times but his brain lets him down

Camara - who knows, but probably rubbish considering he can't get in over the incumbent pile of crap

Blackman - looks sort of lazy and disinterested, needs to play up front in a 4-4-2

Weimann - seriously bad, he's Conor Sammon but attractive, foreign and quick. Probably couldn't score in a brothel

Johnson - oh my god. Horrifically bad. Horrendous waste of money.

Anyone think we can pull off an Alf Ramsey-style "wingless wonders"? Because we have nobody to stick there. Maybe we'll have to start playing guys like Calero and Santos (are they even at the club???) 

I agree completely. I've been banging on about this for a few months now. The decision to pay off Ward's contract was stupid at the time and looks more insane week by week as his replacements continue to falter. 15 million quids worth brought in to replace Ward and Dawkins and what has it got us?

41 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Russell is not the best of a bad bunch. 

He runs and running apparently means "passion"

What does he do? What contribution comes with the running? His first touch is poor, his balance is poor, he regularly Bamford passes (under hits the most simple passes by thinking about the next move rather than the pass, his crossing is smashed to the CB on the nearest post, he doesn't score. 

Ince is the best of a bad bunch. 

He drives forward which gains us position. He often wins free kicks and penalties. He pops up with the occasional goal and assist. He tracks back very well and protects the full back, allowing said player to be more adventurous. He fights for 50/50s and is OK in the air for a smaller player. He also appear popular amongst the players and is unlikely to be one of those who upset the dressing room atmosphere. Russell is very far from perfect, but he certainly is the best we've got at present.

Russell is far more effective than Ince. Ince actively runs away from any headers. He refuses to even contemplate making a challenge. His tracking back is appalling, which exposes the full back and ultimately makes us unbalanced. He does not kick the ball with his right foot which makes him so predictable. He has terrible vision and never spots a teammate in space. His one asset is a curling shot from the right hand corner of the box, which just about makes him of professional standard. Without that, he'd be a poor selection for Borrowash Victoria. Although it's hard to be certain from the outside, he also appears to have a poor attitude and be unpopular with the other players.

Archived