Slow and Laborious

rammieib

Anyone else feel the play tonight was painfully slow at times?

It took Carson a year to do his kicks, and the whole performance felt very Clement like.

Granted I wasn't at Brentford but the two home matches, I'm not seeing a Derby way in any way shape or form.

One good chance with Martin, a couple of close plays and one excellent strike were all we had tonight.

If we were playing a Hull or a Burnley, we wouldn't be winning those games.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are ***** for months, couldn't beat our way out of a paper bag. Suddenly we win two games while trying to rediscover ourselves under a new boss, and it's still *****. 

Come on, man. 

If you thought tonight was particularly slow and laborious i shudder to think what you were thinking a couple of weeks ago. 

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Anyone else feel the play tonight was painfully slow at times?

It took Carson a year to do his kicks, and the whole performance felt very Clement like.

Granted I wasn't at Brentford but the two home matches, I'm not seeing a Derby way in any way shape or form.

One good chance with Martin, a couple of close plays and one excellent strike were all we had tonight.

If we were playing a Hull or a Burnley, we wouldn't be winning those games.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was a transfer suggestion thread started by Clement. 

Shackell and Johnson rob us of any kind of momentum.

In the first half there were a couple of instances of us clearly wasting time, but the most puzzling thing for me was why butterfield, Hanson and Russell left the pitch to be substituted and Johnson remained on the pitch having contributed the square root of feck all to the team performance ! 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

We are ***** for months, couldn't beat our way out of a paper bag. Suddenly we win two games while trying to rediscover ourselves under a new boss, and it's still *****. 

Come on, man. 

If you thought tonight was particularly slow and laborious i shudder to think what you were thinking a couple of weeks ago. 

I thought it was slow two weeks ago. Saw no change but obviously Wassall was delighted.

No need to rush when you're in the lead, you want to take the pace out of the game. Fast paced games mean more goals for both sides. 

We beat Hull 2-0 away with a performance not too dissimilar to that so I have to disagree. 

We need to control games more when we go 1-0 up and not worry about people like you wanting us to attack for the entire game. 

Out of Blackman, Johnson and whoever else got the ball up top at the end, Bryson was the only one that did the right thing in taking it to the corner in my opinion. 

If you want gung-ho football just remember the 4-4s and 3-3s that were common place under McClaren at the end. 

2 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

In the first half there were a couple of instances of us clearly wasting time, but the most puzzling thing for me was why butterfield, Hanson and Russell left the pitch to be substituted and Johnson remained on the pitch having contributed the square root of feck all to the team performance ! 

Hendrick had a stinker too the subs didn't make sense. The win masks a very average evening.

Much, much better than it has been. It's good to see players being allowed to take risks again. Keogh could've had three assists with fast direct through balls.

Getting Thorne back will be key as well I think. Hanson was really good tonight but if Wassall gives George the freedom to play his passes it'll make a huge difference. 

Most worrying thing is we still do not look anywhere near settled in our way of playing. Russell's first give touches as usual all lead to loss of possession. And what Wassell thought he was doing playing Butterfield at CDM when Bryson came on is beyond me. Butterfield tried, but obviously is easily rebuffed with any tackle he tries to make. 

That was a very strange decision, corrected eventually. But that meant we had changed positions needlessly - hardly a help towards fluency. 

For me Ince has to start ahead of Russell. 

Hanson played the CDM role very well. Probably only position he can fulfill for us, but was near perfect in his positioning. Passing near perfect.

but overall, we were very slow at moving forward together as a team.

Certain Will is missed more than we can imagine. Will retains possession whilst rarely going backwards. Always plays optimal  pass in front of players.....and massively tires any players who try and press quickly.

I don't see any opposition players getting tired as we are slower at moving the ball. Yes we had a two or three neat passing moves in the first half....but we were more effective with Keogh running into space and twice playing Martin in on goal.

5 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

No need to rush when you're in the lead, you want to take the pace out of the game. Fast paced games mean more goals for both sides. 

We beat Hull 2-0 away with a performance not too dissimilar to that so I have to disagree. 

We need to control games more when we go 1-0 up and not worry about people like you wanting us to attack for the entire game. 

Out of Blackman, Johnson and whoever else got the ball up top at the end, Bryson was the only one that did the right thing in taking it to the corner in my opinion. 

If you want gung-ho football just remember the 4-4s and 3-3s that were common place under McClaren at the end. 

But it completely contradicts what Morris I believe is wanting his manager to deliver. I just find it confusing.

We criticise the playing around at the back, but that's what we did tonight.

Our chairman sacks a manager partly with the football style not being too his liking yet I saw nothing out there to suggest tonight was any other style. The line up was the same formation, one winger who doesn't get forward, and the defence had the ball a lot.

Bryson used intelligence in the last minute yes, but Johnson and Blackman were bang average when a bit of intelligence could be used.

Its the Carson stuff which really frustrated me though. Even the ref had to give him a nudge. We are at home to Blackburn, it's the 30th minute, and he's time wasting.... Maybe the Derby Way has changed?

Well I did warn the people who didn't go to Brentford on Saturday. I thought the 442 with Martin and Blackman up front worked. Is it me or can't Blackman beat a player? Does he think he can just go through them?

Anyway we were useless boring in a game where we should have looked at improving or goal difference. 

First half, we played some excellent stuff in spells. Second half, they got in our faces a lot more and we struggled to get a hold of the game. A Thorne or Hughes in midfield would have made a world of difference - someone who could get the ball down and pick a pass rather than just panicking and lumping it forward.  The signs in the first half are very encouraging, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

Thought the tempo first 10 minutes or so was fine, we got the goal and expected us to keep it up to half time but didn't happen. After that it was a grind because we gave the ball away too often and second half chased shadows a lot.

However, I'd call it a slight improvement. Just hope winning breeds confidence and the flair and tempo picks up with it.

Still think Martin isolated and someone mentioned on another thread Christie has the burden of bombing on down the wing on his own at times. Not got the right balance for me and that's why it's slow and labourious because there isn't enough movement with players not quite clicking.

But we won!

Thought in patches in the first half it was great to see the minimal touches, bodies ahead of the ball and people moving the ball on and going on to gain territory rather than holding position and the team shuffling forward.

But we have players that just don't look after the ball consistently. Russell, Johnson, Shackell and surprisingly Hanson at times tonight... Whether they completed a high number of passes or not, they began picking silly or overly safe passes more and more. This was an invite to Blackburn. 

The attitude seems to be where we want it. But still the team is damaged by players that don't fit and tactically at times it was like a kids match. Losing shape too much. It's nice to see us break shape again. But getting the where and when is key. 

Needs more time. 

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

Come on, man. 

I sort of agree with what both sides are saying. It's better but there were clement moments. The three things that are clearly different are:

1. The players are running their socks off harassing the opposition clearly fitter. 

2. We clearly are looking to get forward more

3. The team seems focused on a mission and motivated. 

Major work in progress though. 

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/blackburn-rovers-derby-county-paul-lambert-2972356.aspx

No one in the stadium could deny blackburn were the better side according to their gaffer

I need to watch the game better in the future then. Although, in fairness, it sounds like he is just trying to instill some belief into his side. 

They're probably good enough to stay up, but they won't be far off and he needs to keep the troops happy. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I need to watch the game better in the future then. Although, in fairness, it sounds like he is just trying to instill some belief into his side. 

They're probably good enough to stay up, but they won't be far off and he needs to keep the troops happy. 

A kind of Wassall type post match interview then.

Archived