Slow and Laborious

rammieib

3 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Agreed.

And agree with OP, so does Carson. Has he spent too long at relegation-threatened teams? Every time he has the ball it feels like he's running the clock down.

Carson is the best keeper we've had in a long time, and with every player in the championship having a weakness I'm perfectly happy for his to be the speed of his distribution. Similar, but not to the same extent, opinion with Shackell who does need to work on his pass accuracy at least, wait forever for a pass for it to be wayward is frustrating. Johnson needs to do more generally. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LazloW said:

Derby fans make me both laugh and cringe at the same time. 

The geniuses who have righly pointed out that Clement was sacked for playing boring negative football and the last three performances haven't been stunning are missing a number of key points or might want to consider the following:

1. Clement was sacked for playing boring negative football. It wasn't necessarily for the quality of performance (you can't win them all and can't play well in every game - that's how I read it), it was because he set out to play in a slow, back foot and pedestrian way.  That isn't how Wassall has set his teams up to go out - even if it hasn't clicked yet you can see that there is a different intent; they are trying to play at a higher tempo, trying to be more aggressive and trying to play on the front foot. Did it work out 100%? Of course not, but I believe that people are deliberately twisting and repainting the recent history to make extremely poor (but oh so clever and witty) points.  

2. Clement had 8 months to unpick the SMC style of play; drilling the players to play in a certain way every day and doing whatever else on the training pitch/gym that others at the club weren't happy with.  Wass has had three games (two if you think about the time he had to prepare for MKD). I think its a tad harsh to be expecting him to turn around the momentum and get us playing in a completely different way.  As I say above, at the moment I think you have to look at intent as much as anything and the intent seems very different.  If you actually read/listen to what Mel has said, I think you can see the distinctions...  I think 8 months was too soon to sack Clement. I definitely think 3 games is too soon to be castigating Wass! 

3. Blackburn were a horrible team to play against for us; in our faces, no time, no space and many many many long balls. Difficult for any team to be fluent against them, particularly one with low/no confidence and an impatient and nervous bunch of fans ready to jump on their backs with the least provocation. Too many of us tend to ignore the fact that there is an opposition who are actively trying to stop us playing. Its almost as if they've turned up to be competitive and not just let us win (the cheek of it).

Now, I'm not saying that if performances don't get better that Wassall won't be replaced at the end of the season because I'm sure he will. Intent and effort can only get you so far and, for a very long period, SMC married this with playing lovely attractive stuff so we know it can be done.  However, I really don't think you can equate trying to play better higher tempo attacking football and it not coming off with just not bothering to try at all (well, I don't equate it but then I'm not result obsessed either :p... just like Mel).

I have other theories about the relationship between slow laborious football and quiet, nervy and quick to grumble fans but that needs more research...

Good reasoned post. However,there were a number of times in first half Olsen or Christie got down the wing, level with box, and had to stop and go backwards as no one was in or near the box. These were not breaks, but passes to players in wide positions

And teams naturally play further forward at home. Yet we were limited in our intent. Other than goal we hardly worked their keeper. Just the two perfect through balls from Keogh to Martin (one in first half was mid controlled and defender took it off Martin ) 

i would love to see a graphic of average position of our front five players on pitch under mcclaren upto Feb 2015, PC and now Wassell. Position of players is dictated by coach. I think other than Olsen being further forward, and Hanson being slightly deeper than Thorne nothing has changed under Wassell with regard to positions adopted.

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Were are the fans you ask ? Well the majority around me were leaving at 79 minutes ???? Puzzles me ! It's like going to the cinema and leaving 10 minutes before the end ! You wouldn't do it ! 

Personally I leave my seat and go and watch last few minutes on front row, allowing a quick exit. A lot also watch on to screens. Different view and see and hear the crowd differently from when sitting high up. At pitch side a joint "groan" from the stands is actually very off putting.

I thought support upto 75minutes was excellent. Many songs sung in south stand when little to cheer about. Would like to think SuperDerby will return one day when we are struggling in last ten minutes. However at home to a lowly positioned Blackburn it really is not going to happen and rightly so.

6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Seeing as it's apparently OK to judge a manager after 3 games.....

Wassall has averaged 2 points per match - top 2 form.

Clement did not.

Something dead cat bounce something?

Just now, eddie said:

Something dead cat bounce something?

You can only bounce a dead cat in a bouncy castle because a live one would puncture it.

Pretty sure that's the proverb you're thinking of. 

8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

right! So those that thought sacking Clement was too early are criticising Wassall for not being able to overhaul the whole philosophy within 2 weeks of being in charge? Even though those 2 weeks yield a 7 point return from a possible 9?

I'd like to say 'shocking', but it's not. Stay Classy Derby fans!

Nicely put sir, nicely put. 

8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

right! So those that thought sacking Clement was too early are criticising Wassall for not being able to overhaul the whole philosophy within 2 weeks of being in charge? Even though those 2 weeks yield a 7 point return from a possible 9?

I'd like to say 'shocking', but it's not. Stay Classy Derby fans!

Pretty sure I said this was going to happen when it was announced, and by the number of people who seemed to agree a lot of other people saw it coming too. As you say, not even slightly shocking :lol:

Archived