Slow and Laborious

rammieib

Wassall has had 3 games and got two wins, so far averaging 2 points a game, promotion form.

The performances haven't been perfect, but we have strung two wins together on the trot for the first time in yonks.

Saturdays match is a big one. The players should be confident, Wassall should be confident, so I want to see Derby coming out against a shell shocked Wolves and tearing them a new one.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Wassall has had 3 games and got two wins, so far averaging 2 points a game, promotion form.

The performances haven't been perfect, but we have strung two wins together on the trot for the first time in yonks.

Saturdays match is a big one. The players should be confident, Wassall should be confident, so I want to see Derby coming out against a shell shocked Wolves and tearing them a new one.

I wouldn't hold your breath. 

9 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

should be 3 wins though shouldn't it. 9 pts is what i expect facing those teams.

My take is that first half especially we played a higher tempo than we have seen most of the season. Thought the formation was decent and Hanson (as i have been banging on all season) is too good to leave out the 18. He was one of the 3 best players on our side tonight.

imo they were very well drilled played a style of football akin to Stoke and will be a handful for most teams. A clean sheet was no mean feat and confidence will return and its onwards and upwards. Have to admit that the wide attackers were disappointing with only Ince showing any form when he came on. We utilised CM well and he saw more of the ball than he has seen since October. Promising small steps.

Mom Keogh.

Is this the wrist-slashing thread? I'm sorry, it's so hard to tell nowadays.

Wassall has been in the job 3 games. There were times in the first half where we moved the ball as well as we had all season - and there were times in the second half where we defended as well as I've seen in a long time. The spirit is there, the right man is captain, and slowly, very slowly, we are undoing the damage caused by Clement.

A win on Saturday and the confidence will start to return. It was tense tonight, in fact it was difficult to tell whether the crowd's nerves were affecting the players or the other way around, but by and large the side came through, thanks largely to Captain Fantastic.

35 minutes ago, Gritters said:

A kind of Wassall type post match interview then.

He said they were better than us. Sadly he had also taken a realism pill and thus refused to say they were outstanding ......

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

Is this the wrist-slashing thread? I'm sorry, it's so hard to tell nowadays.

.......by and large the side came through, thanks largely to Captain Fantastic.

Nah the wrist slashers thread would have been had Keogh made an error. One reason I bumped that Keogh Captain thread was to remind a few of their comments a couple of weeks back. Some folks must be disappointed their negativity hasn't been proven right so far.

7 hours ago, Chris Mills said:

No need to rush when you're in the lead, you want to take the pace out of the game. Fast paced games mean more goals for both sides. 

We beat Hull 2-0 away with a performance not too dissimilar to that so I have to disagree. 

We need to control games more when we go 1-0 up and not worry about people like you wanting us to attack for the entire game. 

Out of Blackman, Johnson and whoever else got the ball up top at the end, Bryson was the only one that did the right thing in taking it to the corner in my opinion. 

If you want gung-ho football just remember the 4-4s and 3-3s that were common place under McClaren at the end. 

Whilst I'm not upset about tonight's victory, or that fussed about the way we played, the game you use as an example is different in many ways. The performance away at a good Hull team was spot on, any more adventurous and we most likely would have been punished by them. Home to a poor Blackburn team, who offered very little quality in front of goal, was an opportunity for us to increase possession in their half and practice ideas in getting through defences and creating chances.

Our defensive tactic second half could have caused more harm, as even though they were limited by our defensive work, we invited them on by not holding possession on the halfway line and pushing on. one chance is all it takes and they were very close at the end.

Having said all that, we take the win and move on

right! So those that thought sacking Clement was too early are criticising Wassall for not being able to overhaul the whole philosophy within 2 weeks of being in charge? Even though those 2 weeks yield a 7 point return from a possible 9?

I'd like to say 'shocking', but it's not. Stay Classy Derby fans!

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

right! So those that thought sacking Clement was too early are criticising Wassall for not being able to overhaul the whole philosophy within 2 weeks of being in charge? Even though those 2 weeks yield a 7 point return from a possible 9?

I'd like to say 'shocking', but it's not. Stay Classy Derby fans!

It's  6 from 9 and I know I'm being pedantic lol. 

Im still not certain why Clement was sacked though  

But i agree with the rest of the post. 

I would certainly take wins over performance, however that was a pretty woeful performance, bar the defensive side.  I'm still not sure what style DW has got us playing, based on the two home games I have seen him in charge.  We don't press as a team, Hanson was often picking the ball up in line with our last defender, enabling Blackburn to squeeze the game, we struggled to string more than 5 passes together for the majority of the time, and we had 11 men back behind the ball, for a throw in, I'm sure if PC had done the latter he would have been slated for it.

Its still early yet granted, but I've certainly not seen anything that shows he is going to instil good attacking football again.

Derby fans make me both laugh and cringe at the same time. 

The geniuses who have righly pointed out that Clement was sacked for playing boring negative football and the last three performances haven't been stunning are missing a number of key points or might want to consider the following:

1. Clement was sacked for playing boring negative football. It wasn't necessarily for the quality of performance (you can't win them all and can't play well in every game - that's how I read it), it was because he set out to play in a slow, back foot and pedestrian way.  That isn't how Wassall has set his teams up to go out - even if it hasn't clicked yet you can see that there is a different intent; they are trying to play at a higher tempo, trying to be more aggressive and trying to play on the front foot. Did it work out 100%? Of course not, but I believe that people are deliberately twisting and repainting the recent history to make extremely poor (but oh so clever and witty) points.  

2. Clement had 8 months to unpick the SMC style of play; drilling the players to play in a certain way every day and doing whatever else on the training pitch/gym that others at the club weren't happy with.  Wass has had three games (two if you think about the time he had to prepare for MKD). I think its a tad harsh to be expecting him to turn around the momentum and get us playing in a completely different way.  As I say above, at the moment I think you have to look at intent as much as anything and the intent seems very different.  If you actually read/listen to what Mel has said, I think you can see the distinctions...  I think 8 months was too soon to sack Clement. I definitely think 3 games is too soon to be castigating Wass! 

3. Blackburn were a horrible team to play against for us; in our faces, no time, no space and many many many long balls. Difficult for any team to be fluent against them, particularly one with low/no confidence and an impatient and nervous bunch of fans ready to jump on their backs with the least provocation. Too many of us tend to ignore the fact that there is an opposition who are actively trying to stop us playing. Its almost as if they've turned up to be competitive and not just let us win (the cheek of it).

Now, I'm not saying that if performances don't get better that Wassall won't be replaced at the end of the season because I'm sure he will. Intent and effort can only get you so far and, for a very long period, SMC married this with playing lovely attractive stuff so we know it can be done.  However, I really don't think you can equate trying to play better higher tempo attacking football and it not coming off with just not bothering to try at all (well, I don't equate it but then I'm not result obsessed either :p... just like Mel).

I have other theories about the relationship between slow laborious football and quiet, nervy and quick to grumble fans but that needs more research...

2 hours ago, curtains said:

It's  6 from 9 and I know I'm being pedantic lol. 

Im still not certain why Clement was sacked though  

But i agree with the rest of the post. 

Thorne is a big miss and i'd like to see Camara given a start,he might inject some much needed tempo like Russell tries to do but hopefully with more success. Ince can't play wide IMO, he needs to play behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1.

People moaning about the style of play etc. come on we've just won two games with Wassall only in charge for 3. The boy done good man, give the team a break and if you are a real supporter you'll know Rome wasn't built in a day and it was clear to see that we played a higher tempo passing game and we did look like opening their defence up on numerous occasions. i remember at least 3 through balls that split their defence last night, 3 more than in Clements whole tenure. 

20 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Derby fans make me both laugh and cringe at the same time. 

The geniuses who have righly pointed out that Clement was sacked for playing boring negative football and the last three performances haven't been stunning are missing a number of key points or might want to consider the following:

1. Clement was sacked for playing boring negative football

2. I think 8 months was too soon to sack Clement. I definitely think 3 games is too soon to be castigating Wass! 

1. I think you're misrepresenting it. The style of football was part of the sum, along with lack of progress, poor morale, poor fitness, lack of attention to development, poor preparation for games, declining level of performance etc all contributed to Clement's sacking.

2. Couldn't agree more. Had Clement not been sacked, I wouldn't have been disappointed.

To me it looks like we have gone from worrying about how the opposition set up and play, to concentrating on our strengths and trying to impose our style onto them. This is bound to lead to more open games and more chances for the opposition, but it's better to watch and we just have to believe that our players will take more chances than they do.  

10 hours ago, Chris Mills said:

No need to rush when you're in the lead, you want to take the pace out of the game. Fast paced games mean more goals for both sides. 

We beat Hull 2-0 away with a performance not too dissimilar to that so I have to disagree. 

We need to control games more when we go 1-0 up and not worry about people like you wanting us to attack for the entire game. 

Out of Blackman, Johnson and whoever else got the ball up top at the end, Bryson was the only one that did the right thing in taking it to the corner in my opinion. 

If you want gung-ho football just remember the 4-4s and 3-3s that were common place under McClaren at the end. 

But if Danny Graham was any good they could've scored 3

Archived