Jacob Butterfield appreciation thread. Sponsored by Warren Hobhead

Mostyn6

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the flops from this reigns poor spending have long gone, Butters will still be here. One of the best signings, if not the best, we've made in the last 12 months. Doesn't sound like much, but we've signed a lot of players in the last year and the majority have been utter crap.

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

@Warren Hobhead politely asked me to post this.

Interestingly, Butterfield scored highly in the vote recently which asked fans to predict who would be the next player to have a storming game.

Do you think Butterfield is one of the top players in the squad?

Is there more to come?

Can't Warren Hobhead do it himself? 

1 minute ago, blackNwhites said:

What does Butterfield lack that's preventing him from being first choice? Its gotta be him and Bryson or Hendrick in the middle, surely?

Mind you, if we're not playing 4-3-3 then I don't understand life anymore but I'd still have Butterfield as one of the first picks.

Agreed he should be starting tbh. 

1 minute ago, blackNwhites said:

What does Butterfield lack that's preventing him from being first choice? Its gotta be him and Bryson or Hendrick in the middle, surely?

Mind you, if we're not playing 4-3-3 then I don't understand life anymore but I'd still have Butterfield as one of the first picks.

I'd say pace is the only thing he doesn't have.

But if we're playing the 4-3-3, he should be in there whilst Hughes isn't, as he's the most similar player.

I'm not buying on Butterfield. I think he's a solid player nothing special. Not a Bryson not a Hughes but s capable fill in. He can shoot has a nice touch and can pass. But He's too slow, can't tackle that well (note it was his sloppy lunge which led to the MK Dons free kick). But The biggest prob with him that I see is that he doesn't show enough for the ball so he's part of a big problem we have where the attacking mid players (including hendrick) make a pass and hide. I know Bradley Fighting Vehicle is out of form and out of favour on here, but he's a far stronger player. Pace power etc just needs to make his passes better. 

Johnson is a stronger player, yes, but he's a worse tackler than Butterfield is. Hughes is a better tackler than Johnson and he was weedy in comparison!

As for not showing for the ball, I'd argue the other side. He does show for the ball. A number of games under Clement he would be the only one to take the ball off Shackell/Keogh and turn with it.

Therein lies the problem, though. Then he's too deep, with no option to release the ball because everyone's stood still. Same issue Thorne has, Keogh, Warnock, Olsson.. no movement.

Once's there's movement, everyone will improve. Because someone will be able to make a pass other than 5 yards in front of them, or back to Shackell/Keogh/Carson. 

I'd be interested to see a Butterfield-Hughes-Thorne midfield, but that won't be until next season. Anything but Hendrick and Bryson. We've known since the Clough days that those two don't work well.

32 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I'm not buying on Butterfield. I think he's a solid player nothing special. Not a Bryson not a Hughes but s capable fill in. He can shoot has a nice touch and can pass. But He's too slow, can't tackle that well (note it was his sloppy lunge which led to the MK Dons free kick). But The biggest prob with him that I see is that he doesn't show enough for the ball so he's part of a big problem we have where the attacking mid players (including hendrick) make a pass and hide. I know Bradley Fighting Vehicle is out of form and out of favour on here, but he's a far stronger player. Pace power etc just needs to make his passes better. 

That's pretty much my take on it.  He's fine if you can build the team around him, just keep feeding him the ball and let him do the damage.  But if you want the whole team to function without relying on just one player to create, it's not going to work.  That's why he's done well at smaller clubs where they can afford to build around him, but struggles to get in the team at bigger ones.

My-club-has-the-best-players-in-the-league syndrome strikes again. Even Leeds were up to it earlier this season. I'm sure if you asked most Boro, Hull, Brighton or Burnley fans they'd each say they have the strongest team in the division, usually adding "and if wasn't for x, y and z we’d be top by miles".

For me if Derby want to play football the right way, by keeping the ball, with pass and movement then Butterfield must play, as with Hughes out he is by far our best player at keeping the ball, he also likes a shot outside the area, which most of our players do not try, also he is likely to get a goal.So yes for me he has to play.

I rate Butterfield and am quietly confident he will become a key player for us in the coming years.

I think like all of the squad at present he is suffering from a lack of confidence due to PC (imo) not knowing his best team and dropping players even after they had had a great game or two - this happened to Butterfield on at least a couple of occasions I can remember.

The sooner we find a settled formation and team the sooner we'll go on another run.

Getting my vote for poty so far. 

Plays to others strengths, times passes well, takes only the touches he needs, pass selection is spot on as in he picks out the player you want him to even though your view is miles better than his

He can tackle just fine. Giving away a free kick isn't a crime. 

Dunno how he doesn't get in the team. He even upped the tempo on Saturday and we started moving up the pitch much faster (without hoofing) when he came on. 

Archived