Brentford vs. Derby County

AmericanRam

2 hours ago, Dannyboz1884 said:

Carson

Christie   Keogh   Shackell   Olsson

Ince      Bryson    Butterfield   Russell

Blackman  Martin

Last chance for Ince and Russell though, if no performance from either of them someone else has to be given a chance as they haven't produced for a while now. Blackman and Martin to be paired together. Lets see if we can strike a partnership up in the last few games of the season. We know Martin can score goals he is just on a very very bad run and Blackman is up there for goals this season in the league so put them together. None of this matters though without decent service, those crappy long balls from Shackell will not cut it. Camara on the bench for Weimann too, as we havn't seen enough of Camara to really have an opinion and Weimann's performances are the same every game no idea. I know people want 443 but I honestly think a Blackman/Martin partnership would work. 

Yes we've hardly seen anything of Camara so he's still an unknown quantity, however the bit we have seen is a few decent crosses, a huge amount of pace/direct running, but some defensive naivety.

Oh and he managed to hit the bar against Hartlepool, how many Derby players can even claim to have come that close in recent games? I think he should be involved, he's hardly been given a chance, yet other players have had a fair go and done SFA!

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Yes we've hardly seen anything of Camara so he's still an unknown quantity, however the bit we have seen is a few decent crosses, a huge amount of pace/direct running, but some defensive naivety.

Oh and he managed to hit the bar against Hartlepool, how many Derby players can even claim to have come that close in recent games? I think he should be involved, he's hardly been given a chance, yet other players have had a fair go and done SFA!

Agree with that, I just can't see Wassall dropping a player from the whole squad then the week after starting him in the first 11. That is why I feel he will be on the bench. He needs time to learn our league which he will not get by sitting at home watching us play. He needs to be slowly introduced and then once he's found his feet he could be starting more games. He certainly needs to be on the bench saturday.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

If you have invented a time machine I would rather you used it to fetch 1969 Dave Mackay or 1971 Kevin Hector instead of 2012 Darren Bent, which was the last time he displayed any meaningful pace. Aside from that I'd agree that he does at least deserve a chance in a team moulded to fit him rather than just shoving him the Martin role and watching him flounder.

Can you still see when the next win is coming from?

4 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

Can you still see when the next win is coming from?

I'm going all happy clappy and I'll say we'll beat Brentford. Even though we played poorly against MK Franchise we still should've won. Franchise offered nothing besides their free kick and Shackell and Weimann somehow fluffed uncontested headers from 5 yards out.

Carson

Keogh  Shackell  Bucko

Christie                                            Olssen

Thorne

Butterfield                      Hendrick

Blackman

Bent

Have some people gone mad? The number of suggested starting X1s with just 2 genuine midfielders and 4 forward players is unbelievable - we won't win enough ball to supply a 4-man strike force. If you then say Russell / Ince / Weimann can drop back into midfield to give support then it's just more of the square peg in round hole problem.

I would much prefer a genuine 4-man midfield which includes Bryson & Butterfield, both who have proved that they have a nose for a goal and more than capable of supporting the 2 front players. With Christie and Olsen, we have 2 fullbacks who can give the team width.

54 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Have some people gone mad? The number of suggested starting X1s with just 2 genuine midfielders and 4 forward players is unbelievable - we won't win enough ball to supply a 4-man strike force. If you then say Russell / Ince / Weimann can drop back into midfield to give support then it's just more of the square peg in round hole problem.

I would much prefer a genuine 4-man midfield which includes Bryson & Butterfield, both who have proved that they have a nose for a goal and more than capable of supporting the 2 front players. With Christie and Olsen, we have 2 fullbacks who can give the team width.

Trouble with this Wolfie is that you are right.

I think ( and I am as guilty as anyone) that we are all so desperate to see some verve and panache that we get a bit carried away. Midfield needs ball winners, passers and hopefully creative versions of those two. My own feeling is that in many games we end up relying on Thorne ( at DM) to be the provider of the defence splitting pass as well as acklingnstrength. So the action is happening too deep. Then add in that we lack width and so the voices calling for a 4 man attack are really a counterpoint to our failings.

In a 433 then any 2 of Butters  Johno Bryson Hendrick need to be better at either getting the ball or using it. It's wrong for a sole DM to be an overused engine room.

In a 442 we have wide players but again the centre mids need to win and pass the ball more effectively.

i am astounded that on paper we have an amazing set of quality choices in the middle of the park yet to me we haven't found a mix that works well or consistently ...You could say  Thorne Bryson Hendrick .. Yes that works but no where near often enough.

in short we need a manager who understands and interprets players complimentary strengths 

9 hours ago, Anon said:

If you have invented a time machine I would rather you used it to fetch 1969 Dave Mackay or 1971 Kevin Hector instead of 2012 Darren Bent, which was the last time he displayed any meaningful pace. Aside from that I'd agree that he does at least deserve a chance in a team moulded to fit him rather than just shoving him the Martin role and watching him flounder.

I see you and raise you a 1972 Alan Hinton. We could use a dead ball wizard like him.

I believe if we are still to have any shout at all for a Play Off place we absolutley must get a win away at Brentford on Saturday.

I don't mind HOW WE do it or WHAT WAY we do it if I'm honest. If we don't we could be down to 8th & outside the Play Off places by the time we play Blackburn at home a week on Wednesday.

Interestingly the Bookies must know something we don't as they still have us at 6/4 to gain promotion this season. But only have Brighton, who should they somehow win at Hull City tonight will put them 8 points ahead of us at longer odds of 9/2.

So for all that's happen to us over the last eight league games they don't seem to be  writing us off just yet.

4-5-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-1-3-2.  I have a cunning plan for Saturday........let's get back to the "Derby way"!

Goalie
                                                              Carson

Right back.                         Left back
                                       Christie.                              Olsson

Right Half                         Centre Half.                       Left half. 
                  Hendrick.                             Keogh.                            Thorne

Outside Right      Inside right.        Centre forward.       Inside left          Outside Left
     Russell             Butterfield                Martin                 Bryson.               Camara

Worked for Stuart McMillan in the 1946 FA Cup Final!

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There’s so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.”
Brian Howard Clough

Archived