Brentford vs. Derby County

AmericanRam

Here are my considered views on the Brentford game yesterday. 

The acute view of the field on a mild day, with a dampened atmosphere didn't give us the positive vibes and high expectations that we usually have, although lowered expectations were probably a blessing in disguise. 

We started the game very quickly and had a couple of decent chances saved well by Button and it was only a matter of time before the initial surge of energy levelled off and Brentford created a few half chances, although the assured Carson prevented any damage. As the half wore on Bent barely had a touch of the ball and we all became increasingly frustrated with the hit and miss Russell, although he tended to sway more towards misses than hits. Hanson was dynamic and relaxed and was clearly out to impress Mel like a 5 year old in a Sunday league game trying to impress his father. 

We went into half time feeling fairly neutral and in anticipation of what was to come. We oversaw abundance of quality warming up at the break - Martin, Blackman and Ince - who all ended up becoming our saviours.

The second half began at a fairly similar note to the way the first half ended. After becoming dispossessed in midfield, Judge expertly stuck the ball in the top corner and we were all dreading what was to come. In contradiction to the conventional Derby response this season, re. Burnley for example, we did not crumble at this moment and continued to play our football.

After a short sequence of ricochets Hendrick was put in 1 on 1 at a fairly tight angle and calmly slotted the ball beneath the keeper. Brentford players were appealing for handball and I have to say that I felt it was a handball too.

From then onwards the game was only going one way, the Derby way. After Johnson drilled the ball into the box it fell at the feet of the hardworking and impressive Cyrus Christie who put the ball in the back of the net in front of the away end. Blackman dictated play from then onwards and used his strength to his advantage.

The 2-1 lead felt very fragile as winning felt a novelty. Brentford had a couple of very good chances. One went amiss by what seemed a good save by Carson. Following this save, Derby broke and almost in slow motion Ince played the ball to Martin, and then almost like in a movie, the opposition player tumbled over, and Martin swept away a much needed goal.

At 3-1 there was a feeling of strong relief rather than buzz. The atmosphere, still quieter than usual, was revved up by Darren Wassall, who is creeping me out a little bit, although his passion seems to be having a positive effect on the players.

Anger, frustration and pain seeped out of the players as the 1,600 Derby fans saluted them off the field. Could this be the turning point? I think so - but a stronger indicator will be the result on Wednesday night against an average Blackburn side.

MOTM - Christie/Hendrick

Brentford 1-3 Derby

UP THE RAMS! 

Rusty ?

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, AdamRusty15 said:

Here are my considered views on the Brentford game yesterday. 

The acute view of the field on a mild day, with a dampened atmosphere didn't give us the positive vibes and high expectations that we usually have, although lowered expectations were probably a blessing in disguise. 

We started the game very quickly and had a couple of decent chances saved well by Button and it was only a matter of time before the initial surge of energy levelled off and Brentford created a few half chances, although the assured Carson prevented any damage. As the half wore on Bent barely had a touch of the ball and we all became increasingly frustrated with the hit and miss Russell, although he tended to sway more towards misses than hits. Hanson was dynamic and relaxed and was clearly out to impress Mel like a 5 year old in a Sunday league game trying to impress his father. 

We went into half time feeling fairly neutral and in anticipation of what was to come. We oversaw abundance of quality warming up at the break - Martin, Blackman and Ince - who all ended up becoming our saviours.

The second half began at a fairly similar note to the way the first half ended. After becoming dispossessed in midfield, Judge expertly stuck the ball in the top corner and we were all dreading what was to come. In contradiction to the conventional Derby response this season, re. Burnley for example, we did not crumble at this moment and continued to play our football.

After a short sequence of ricochets Hendrick was put in 1 on 1 at a fairly tight angle and calmly slotted the ball beneath the keeper. Brentford players were appealing for handball and I have to say that I felt it was a handball too.

From then onwards the game was only going one way, the Derby way. After Johnson drilled the ball into the box it fell at the feet of the hardworking and impressive Cyrus Christie who put the ball in the back of the net in front of the away end. Blackman dictated play from then onwards and used his strength to his advantage.

The 2-1 lead felt very fragile as winning felt a novelty. Brentford had a couple of very good chances. One went amiss by what seemed a good save by Carson. Following this save, Derby broke and almost in slow motion Ince played the ball to Martin, and then almost like in a movie, the opposition player tumbled over, and Martin swept away a much needed goal.

At 3-1 there was a feeling of strong relief rather than buzz. The atmosphere, still quieter than usual, was revved up by Darren Wassall, who is creeping me out a little bit, although his passion seems to be having a positive effect on the players.

Anger, frustration and pain seeped out of the players as the 1,600 Derby fans saluted them off the field. Could this be the turning point? I think so - but a stronger indicator will be the result on Wednesday night against an average Blackburn side.

MOTM - Christie/Hendrick

Brentford 1-3 Derby

UP THE RAMS! 

Rusty ?

Thanks for that. What else did you do in half term?

3 hours ago, Gritters said:

I couldn't see very well from where I was stood but I think Carson made a Gordon Banks style save in time added on the ball then got kicked down the field and we got the third.

Butterfield cleared off the line but yeah it does looked like Carson saved it though. 

Not sure if anyone else noticed this but when Bent got taken off he walked so slowly off the pitch. We were 1-0 down with 20odd mins to go and he just strolled off like he's out walking his dog without a care in the world. Did my head in that!

Not sure if anyone else noticed this or if i'm reading too much into it?

1 hour ago, MK said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed this but when Bent got taken off he walked so slowly off the pitch. We were 1-0 down with 20odd mins to go and he just strolled off like he's out walking his dog without a care in the world. Did my head in that!

Not sure if anyone else noticed this or if i'm reading too much into it?

You're reading too much into it. 

16 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Well done Darren Wassall's Derby County.

Just watched the highlights on FLS and it was mentioned on the show that we hadn't won in London since December 20th 2013 at Charlton.

We did win away at Fulham last season in the cup 5.2 but I assume they mean in the league. Not winning down London since 2013 in the league is poor though.

Actually I think we won away at Watford last season

Archived