If we get promoted

RamLad1884

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

If (and I say that as a massive if) derby managed to get promotion this season under wassall would you still want him in charge in the prem? Or is it a case of get someone with experience in if we get there

Why is it a massive if? Or have you already decided that Wass isn't up to the job?

A better question would be "if we play good attacking football, similar to 13/14 season, would you like to see Wass given the job permanently?" 

If Wassall was to get us promoted this season whilst playing the style of football we want, I would find it hard to see how we couldn't give him a chance. 

How could you say thanks for that, Monday morning you're back with the U21's, if Wassall has any kind of ambition in him he will have an eye on that job.

It's actually quite a risky move as you could lose him, wouldn't blame him for wanting out if we brought someone else in having gone up. We could sell him the experienced manager line but he's just proven he can get this squad playing, tricky one.

We need to start playing attacking football from now until the end of the season if we are going to get promoted and that is what the fans and Mel have been asking for, If Darren gets us up by getting the team playing attacking football, I reckon the job would be his.

12 minutes ago, Daveo said:

It's actually quite a risky move as you could lose him, wouldn't blame him for wanting out if we brought someone else in having gone up.

This is actually kinda sad - not just for Wassall but it happens a lot in football, some die hard [insert football team] stalwart has been at the club for years, gets moved into the top job when the previous manager gets fired then kicked out of the club when he gets replaced.

I admired Wassalls enthusiasm talking about the youth academy a while back and I personally think it would be a shame for him to have to move on for whatever reason.

Anyway, back on topic... If we got promoted playing exciting, attractive football or otherwise surely it would be very difficult not to give him the job (and then inevitably sack him in October :P)

1 hour ago, top 6 finish said:

In his press conference our owner was asked about Wassall,he didn't seem too

confident about getting promotion.

But that's so as not to put pressure on him & there's nothing to gain by doing that. If PC wasn't given promotion as the top priority last summer, then I very much doubt Wassall would be told that now.

Although if there's no chance of him keeping the job, we might as well tell him that he'll be sacked if we don't finish top - oh, and win Eurovision.

3 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

If (and I say that as a massive if) derby managed to get promotion this season under wassall would you still want him in charge in the prem? Or is it a case of get someone with experience in if we get there

I don't think we would have much say in whether or not he remained in the job.

Mel would sack the guy for his success, demand an immediate relegation and ask his successor to start building up slowly....oh, I mean the 'Derby Way'.

In all seriousness though, I think he would have to be given the chance. Were he not too, I think his reasoning for parting company with Clement would pale into insignificance and he would look even more of a loony than certain parts of the media seem to be portraying him currently.

Am personally trying to grapple with which decision is more ridiculous...sacking Clement for the reasons he gave or appointing Wassall for the most important part of what could potentially still be a very successful season.

1 hour ago, top 6 finish said:

In his press conference our owner was asked about Wassall,he didn't seem too

confident about getting promotion.

I would have to say that I think there is less chance of promotion now than there was.I

hope I'm wrong.

It would be no good to be honest if Mel had come out and mentioned promotion, that really would pile the pressure on Wassall. This way Wassall is in pretty much a win win situation. If he does well, everyone will love him and doing well is the reward itself. If we don't do particularly well, there was no real expectation around him anyway so he can go back to doing his good work with the academy knowing full well he gave it a good shot.

I think unless we are literally losing game after game, people will get behind Darren as to me he comes across as a very passionate and honest guy who seems to love DCFC. I reckon we maybe surprised just how well we do under him. We are fifth and we have not seen the best out of most of our squad this season. If Darren can prise that out of these players we could actually be in for a very interesting end to the season. 

I never felt the fans as a whole took to Clement. When we were in the top two, at home anyway, I never really noticed us singing his name much unlike with Mac and Nigel who we would very regularly chant the name of. For some reason I get the feeling if we start doing well under Wassall he is more likely to be in the latter group. 

Think Wassall is one of, if not the longest serving staff members, as he came in to the academy under Clough. Maybe he knows what 'The Derby Way' is? If he doesn't, be damned if anyone else will.

A lot of the credit for the blossoming of the academy has to be laid at his feet. Passionate bloke who always comes across very well, and very honestly, and has plenty of experience in managing the younger lads. But is that going to be enough? Will that translate to the first teamers? At least they'll know who he is and what he's about.

I hope everyone gives him their support, I know I will. I bet he's now gutted that the plans for the academy have been rejected by EBC. 

Darren Wassall's Barmy Army. 

That is the problem with this ridiculous situation we have got ourselves into now. 

If we say we are appointing someone in the summer, well firstly we don't know who will be available in the summer. Secondly, if Wassall gets them playing well and we win the play offs then what do we do, sack him off and get in Pearson..?

or if Wassall gets them ticking along until the end of the season and we finish 8/9th then what..? We sack him and a bunch of our better players leave..? Hughes cannot afford another season in the championship,  Thorne the same, Hendrick will want to be playin every week, Martin has one last move in him, Ince and bent, Weimann etc will want out to

We have ended up with the same situation forest had with Pearce and that all went belly up for them. 

There is no way that this works out well for us unless we get someone in now and get promoted or we gove Wassall as much time as he needs 

2 hours ago, Daveo said:

If Wassall was to get us promoted this season whilst playing the style of football we want, I would find it hard to see how we couldn't give him a chance. 

How could you say thanks for that, Monday morning you're back with the U21's, if Wassall has any kind of ambition in him he will have an eye on that job.

It's actually quite a risky move as you could lose him, wouldn't blame him for wanting out if we brought someone else in having gone up. We could sell him the experienced manager line but he's just proven he can get this squad playing, tricky one.

I brought the possibility of us announcing a manager before the season ended so everyone knew where they stood no matter what. Would be incredibly harsh to get rid of DW if he does well. Even if he doesn't get us promoted but we're playing well again and finish 3rd for example, it would be harsh to replace him afterwards.

He might have a Lee Carsley case of wanting to stay with the U21s, then it's problem solved. But if Mel wants a more experienced coach no matter what and we go up, I struggle to see how DW wouldn't deserve a go.

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

That is the problem with this ridiculous situation we have got ourselves into now. 

If we say we are appointing someone in the summer, well firstly we don't know who will be available in the summer. Secondly, if Wassall gets them playing well and we win the play offs then what do we do, sack him off and get in Pearson..?

or if Wassall gets them ticking along until the end of the season and we finish 8/9th then what..? We sack him and a bunch of our better players leave..? Hughes cannot afford another season in the championship,  Thorne the same, Hendrick will want to be playin every week, Martin has one last move in him, Ince and bent, Weimann etc will want out to

We have ended up with the same situation forest had with Pearce and that all went belly up for them. 

There is no way that this works out well for us unless we get someone in now and get promoted or we gove Wassall as much time as he needs 

Or if he loses his first 5 games, the confidence is drained from the players and we are putting in worse performances than we have been....do we hit the panic button again and bring someone else in because we are not playing the Derby way? 

14 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Or if he loses his first 5 games, the confidence is drained from the players and we are putting in worse performances than we have been....do we hit the panic button again and bring someone else in because we are not playing the Derby way? 

How could the players have any less confidence than they had by last week? Over the last couple of months, they have been like rabbits trapped in headlights, playing a negative, unattractive style of football that very few of them would ever have experienced before and basically being unable to succeed at it.

They looked very nervous - similar to how they looked after the three successive defeats saw Clough out of the door. The fact that the first 45 minutes of the game against Ipswich (when Wassall last held the reins - but only for a day or two) went so horribly wrong is, I believe, the reason for the negativity and what almost comes across as a sense of helplessness on this forum. People are more than half-expecting lightning to strike twice and, consequently, have already written Darren Wassall - and the rest of the season - off.

Wassall has been given the task of turning things around - if he can get them playing with a smile and a modicum of swagger, it'll be a good start. He doesn't need to relieve the pressure - he needs to remove the fear, and in this, we can help a great deal.

On Saturday, we need to play our part. No booing the first sideways pass for a start.

Archived