If we get promoted

RamLad1884

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

The players pointed look at the directors box, as each goal went in 1st  half, coupled with their vastly improved 2nd half performance led me to that conclusion.

I don't believe that to be unreasonable, certainly compared to other conclusions some have reached by Wassall, shock horror, talking to Mel during matches!

Looking at the directors box. Crikey!

all at once or in a sneaky one at a time kind of way?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Looking at the directors box. Crikey!

all at once or in a sneaky one at a time kind of way?

You were at the game, I assume?

Did you feel it was a perfectly normal game, or did you feel the players were making a point?

I don't understand why you're making such a big deal anyway, did I single out any particular poster for criticism in a previous post on this thread?

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

You were at the game, I assume?

Did you feel it was a perfectly normal game, or did you feel the players were making a point?

I don't understand why you're making such a big deal anyway, did I single out any particular poster for criticism in a previous post on this thread?

Not sure how serious you are…but I was at the game and, outside of footie forum speculation, I don’t think it’s ever been suggested that they ‘downed tools’ in protest or were making a point.

Obviously, the ideal situation here is that Wassall is a roaring success, gets us promotion and gets the job full time. 

If we do get promoted, with everything falling into place, then Wassall definitely deserves the job. It remains to be seen what the outcome of his tenure will be, but he deserves a clean slate and the full backing. 

Ultimately, we need to finish the season in good form. If he does that, even if we stay down, he stands a chance. 

4 hours ago, emjlc02 said:

Wassell will get time as it's the job he has been working towards, when Mel went into the changing room a certain Darren Wassell went in there with him, well that's what I was told at the time.

How come he went in? 

Bad performance on Saturday I think we should go in. Take our kids and stuff.

Seems like it's a free for all

6 hours ago, ramesses said:

Not sure how serious you are…but I was at the game and, outside of footie forum speculation, I don’t think it’s ever been suggested that they ‘downed tools’ in protest or were making a point.

Besides the point really, I was just pointing out its unfair to judge Wassall on one half of football.

37 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Besides the point really, I was just pointing out its unfair to judge Wassall on one half of football.

It's not really besides the point if the argument you're making about Wassall's ability is partly based on some fiction about striking players.

32 minutes ago, ramesses said:

It's not really besides the point if the argument you're making about Wassall's ability is partly based on some fiction about striking players.

To be quite honest, I don't care enough about the subject to give you a reasonable response.:unsure:

1 hour ago, ramesses said:

Fair enough, but his main point still does stand. It is ridiculous to judge Wassall's managerial ability on half a game as a caretaker with the incoming boss's shadow looming, whether or not tools were downed. The narrative of it being McClaren's inspirational half-time talk that caused the turnaround is an attractive one, but we're not in a position to know what went on.

Maybe Wassall was under instructions to try to get the players to follow McClaren's plan - and after they struggled, McClaren went in and articulated it better.

Maybe the players were nervous of the expectation with a new boss watching, and McClaren settled them down and told them just to play their natural game and they wouldn't be judged on a game or two. If it's the latter it'd be ironic for us to now judge Wassall on less.

The point is - we are speculating as to what went on. Supermac to the rescue of hapless Wass might have been a nice clear story at the time but the truth was probably much more complicated.

15 hours ago, eddie said:

If Darren Wassall got Derby promoted and was then asked to go back to running the academy, I'm fairly sure that he would look elsewhere - and who could blame him? He would, by any parameter you care to choose, be a winner - and a very sought-after commodity.

It's a bit more complicated than that Eddie. It's rather like a mini version of di matteo. If DW has them swashbuckling their way to the autos then you might be right. But if we have hiccups but manage to get up and then in the summer Brendan Rodgers or the likes come in I don't see him getting bees in his bonnet about going back to his academy director role. Besides he'll get partial credit only : PC will still get some credit for having put us up there when DW took the reins. 

2 hours ago, ramesses said:

I wasn't at the game but I do remember the radio commentary and comments along the lines of it being a very strange half of football and the players looking like their hearts weren't in it.

Whether that meant that the players actually weren't trying as a protest is irrelevant really. To write Wassall off on the basis of 45 minutes of football - and totally ignore his achievements with the U21's is unfair at best.

FWIW I would rather have a "permanent" manager/head coach in place now but I'm open minded enough and prepared to see what happens with Wassall. The next 5-10 games should tell us if he's going to be in contention for the job full time in June.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I wasn't at the game but I do remember the radio commentary and comments along the lines of it being a very strange half of football and the players looking like their hearts weren't in it.

Whether that meant that the players actually weren't trying as a protest is irrelevant really. To write Wassall off on the basis of 45 minutes of football - and totally ignore his achievements with the U21's is unfair at best.

FWIW I would rather have a "permanent" manager/head coach in place now but I'm open minded enough and prepared to see what happens with Wassall. The next 5-10 games should tell us if he's going to be in contention for the job full time in June.

I was at the match, the only one I've ever considered leaving early from and I'm glad I didn't.

Watched the highlights in light of recent events - and its clear to see in the first half they just weren't bothered.

@Wolfie @RamuelLJackson. I’m not disagreeing that it was a long time ago and the predictive validity of that half (either way) is likely to be somewhere between poor and rubbish.

But at that stage in his career Wassall didn’t calm the jitters of disorientated players or give them the reassurance/direction/focus that was needed. Whereas by all reliable accounts a bit of calm advice at half time by someone who was competent seemed to allow the players to draw on their own resources and get on with the job.

I don’t think SM needed to be a footballing genius to do that – he just needed to be a little bit better than Wassall.

It’s history – but Wassall didn’t do a good job of managing the first team that day and it’s not right to blame his inability to get the players heads straight on some fiction that the players went on strike…which, if you see my earlier post, is where I came in.

Catch 22.

5 PTS off top two, give the job to a coach who's done it in this division and get promotion  or give the job to Wassall and there's a chance it goes tits up further, then season over ......and we are still looking for a coach that can get us out of this division.

9 minutes ago, toddy said:

Catch 22.

5 PTS off top two, give the job to a coach who's done it in this division and get promotion  or give the job to Wassall and there's a chance it goes tits up further, then season over ......and we are still looking for a coach that can get us out of this division.

Or give the job to a top coach and there is still the chance of it going tits up and because you rushed the decision, you have another coach to get rid of.

I'd rather give Wassell the chance and take the time to find the right bloke if it doesn't work out.

On 11 February 2016 at 22:15, maxjam said:

This is actually kinda sad - not just for Wassall but it happens a lot in football, some die hard [insert football team] stalwart has been at the club for years, gets moved into the top job when the previous manager gets fired then kicked out of the club when he gets replaced.

I admired Wassalls enthusiasm talking about the youth academy a while back and I personally think it would be a shame for him to have to move on for whatever reason.

Anyway, back on topic... If we got promoted playing exciting, attractive football or otherwise surely it would be very difficult not to give him the job (and then inevitably sack him in October :P)

Exactly. After all, the Academy is a key part of our future....isn't it?

Archived