Johnny Russell (only from twitter.. skybet)

Dr. Gonzo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to stick my neck out here. 

Absolutely nothing against Russell, he has on the whole been a good player, but I think perhaps his time with us has come. He runs through brick walls but often doesn't seem to have a clue what to do once he's knocked them down. Everything inbetween is usually very commendable, but the first and last touch that bookend all the endeavour are often pretty shoddy I'm afraid.

If we think we can get a decent price and have a good replacement lined up, I think I'd sell...

He's one of those players you'd absolutely hate to see leave. Love him to bits but ultimately is he good enough for the PL? Sadly the answer is no. If him leaving means we got a better player I would have to accept it too. If we went up he would sadly be surplus to requirements.

I for one, would think it's a shame if Johnny goes. A lot of people are saying he's not been good of late. But neither has Thorne or Martin and until recently neither had Ince.

He's just out of form. At his best, I think he could make the step up.

wouldnt be suicidal if he left, but I would be sad.

Russell and Ince are the only 2 out and out wingers at the club (Weimann is a striker and Dawkins doesn't know his strongest position). Strength in depth is vital so why would the club risk selling him, even to fund another winger coming in?

We're one injury away from being forced to change formation! I agree a new winger is needed, but not at the expense of Russell leaving the club...

I have, as many of you know, never been convinced by the footballing abilities of Johnny. I do believe, however, that he should not be sold this window. I will be pleased when he his not first pick because, frankly, as a footballing team we will have progressed. However, I think he is a very popular team member, and I would like him to stay around and be a part (if only an occasional '15 minute cameo' part) of this push for promotion.  He is deserving of our loyalty because of his effort and his apparent love of the club.

Would be utter madness to sell a regular starting forward to a promotion rival who are struggling to score goals. People doubt Johnny's ability but he's the one who often creates chances. I actually think he might do fine in the Prem: for Scotland he's always looked far more dangerous than Martin because he does have pace and that can terrify defenders.

Johnny's reliable and as @i-Ram says, clearly a popular squad member. I'm sure no one would be daft enough to send him to Burnley in this window (unless they're paying more than for Grey and we have a replacement lined up).

All this said, he really does have to lose the ridiculous beard. If you're reading this, it's not cool, Johnny!

Wouldn't even consider selling him.

To be honest, I'm slightly bias because I really love Russell, but I can admit he's pretty much just a solid Championship winger, who'll have 4 or 5 games a season where he'll be spectacular but mainly won't ever drop below a 6 or get much above a 7 each game. A few people don't like him but he's hardly someone you'd ever rate so little that you'd want us to sell him.

Think people who moan about him are a bit spoilt by our other talent, you forget he would probably get into 20 out of 24 sides in the division. There are other wingers like him but he's a pretty good, reliable one for the league. Scored a few goals this term too (Brum, Boro, Wolves, Bristol, forced an own goal against Fulham) off the top of my head and delivered the pass of the season against Preston. He's not what he's made out to be by some and doesn't have the talent of Ince, but he's clearly a handy player.

We need more wingers, shouldn't be selling Russell who's a known, reliable quantity. Add another paced winger with flair like Ince and we're good as gold, covering all bases.

Don't think we should be selling someone who's popular with his team mates and the fans, puts in a 6/7 out of 10 performance pretty much week in, week out and is defensively solid for a winger. Particulary to stingy Burnley who'd only give us 9 million for him.

I wouldn't sell Russell. I don't think he'll cut the mustard if we get promoted, but I'd rather keep our powder dry, unless we can somehow find a bargain player that the top league teams have missed! otherwise we could end up having to spend more money again in 6 months. You just have to look at Matt Ritchie - got 15 goals last season and has 3 to his name so far.

I do think we could do with an extra winger in the squad to give us some more options, but I'd rather raid the loan market than sell/replace a player.

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

it's Burnley.

Unless they're offering £4m plus no, keep til the end of the season. It's Burnley, so the offer will be £10 and a bag of chips.

How much did they pay for Gray ? Why would they need russell with him in the team? 

Archived