Middlesbrough v Derby County

Day

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nearly a very very good day for us.

If Rob Green wasn't an incompetent little swine then we could lose tomorrow and still have a 3 point buffer with superior goal difference.

A loss tomorrow is obviously not the end of the world, it just makes the race a little more exciting again. We'd have just a one point gap. Hull are very good at home, and their next two league games are home to Cardiff and Charlton which you'd expect 6 points. They then play Fulham away who are very unpredictable so 9 points from those three really isn't unrealistic for Hull. By beating Boro tomorrow would restore the extremely vital 4 point gap. Boro also have that game in hand so they could move 5 clear of Hull too.

This thread shows how scarred some of you are after the last 2 seasons!

Thank god I'm a simpleton, who treats every season on its merits, very little evidence that Boro are any better than us, never mind loads!

It won't be settling for a draw, and conceding the title, settling for 2nd best.

I want the win, nothing else and nothing less! 

Hope the management and team have more confidence in their ability than most of you on here.

Wow, late winner for the Gullies

Dont know how Derby fans feel but wasnt impressed by either to be honest

Very scrappy affair, unlucky QPR, but scrappy

Dont look like a shadow of the team that beay us 3-0 , but on the day on all that

On 31 December 2015 at 10:28, Woodley Ram said:

this will not be our season defining game, win , lose or draw we will be up there. We do have a bit of fairy dust in our side and that could be the difference. Butter field and  Ince can win this for us, they have shown that they can unlock anyone's defence.

we might be seen as the underdog but we are more than capable of winning this one and Middlesbrough know that. 

With you there Woodley, sure given their home form they are worthy favourites to edge it, Holloway is probably right to say it too, add we get nothing there can understand a few nervous nellies. But we are no mugs either and bang on, even if Shacks don't make it, we have a few gems as you say that just might find a way through.

Either way it's one game, no way season defining whatever the result! Let's see what happens and enjoy the fact we are playing these top of the table clashes and likely there will be a few more to come against Burnley, Hull and Brighton for I'm confident we will be in the mix along with Boro at the end.

4 minutes ago, RedSmog said:

Dont think i have ever looked forward to a game as much as tomorrow:thumbsup:

Apart from the play off final, but WE dont talk about that:(

What's the crack with Clayton pal? rumours are he might be out? Who would be his replacement if so? 

Hull's rather jammy win makes tomorrow that little bit more edgey. I reckon both teams would take a draw if offered now, yet both know how significant a win could be.

Boro probably have the easier fixtures in the second half of the season. If they beat us, they'll be sure-fire favourites to grab at least one of the automatic spots.

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

What's the crack with Clayton pal? rumours are he might be out? Who would be his replacement if so? 

Like mentioned previous Derbados, smoke (or smog) and mirrors i think

Replacement Forshaw, a lot more attack minded, pushes forward brilliantly

My first choice to Leadbitter to be honest, but isnt favoured by "lets not concede" Karanka

6 minutes ago, RedSmog said:

Like mentioned previous Derbados, smoke (or smog) and mirrors i think

Replacement Forshaw, a lot more attack minded, pushes forward brilliantly

My first choice to Leadbitter to be honest, but isnt favoured by "lets not concede" Karanka

Ah, cheers. To be fair that might work slightly in our favour if Forshaw likes to push on. We might find more space in behind with Forshaw playing than we would with Clayton. However like you said it may be Karanka being clever and keeping Clement guessing. 

Should Be a great game 

2 hours ago, RedSmog said:

Wow, late winner for the Gullies

Poor old QPR. Losing by a single goal right at the death.

oh what a shame.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hull's rather jammy win makes tomorrow that little bit more edgey. I reckon both teams would take a draw if offered now, yet both know how significant a win could be.

Boro probably have the easier fixtures in the second half of the season. If they beat us, they'll be sure-fire favourites to grab at least one of the automatic spots.

Jammy buns with extra jam on that was. Cheers for Nowt QParris....

3 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

If im really honest Hull dont concern me in the slightest. Anyone who loses heavily against Rotherham wont be going up.

Appreciate what your saying, but it speaks volumes to me

Anyone can win anyone else in this league., theres certainly be a few surprises lately

Hull certainly dont look a shadow of the team that beat us(Boro) 3-0

I think that comes down to depth of squad and rotation (go hand in hand)

Boro and Derby look like they have spent wisely pre season, hence strength of team now

11 minutes ago, RedSmog said:

Appreciate what your saying, but it speaks volumes to me

Anyone can win anyone else in this league., theres certainly be a few surprises lately

Hull certainly dont look a shadow of the team that beat us(Boro) 3-0

I think that comes down to depth of squad and rotation (go hand in hand)

Boro and Derby look like they have spent wisely pre season, hence strength of team now

Derby's pre-season business wasn't actually that good. Pearce, Bent, Weimann, Baird - while they've added to the squad none have improved our first-team. Ince was on loan here last year.

Carson and Shackell were the only summer two signings which actually improved us from last year. 

Then Will Hughes got injured, and that turned out to be a turning point as we went and signed Jacob Butterfield and Bradley Johnson on deadline day who have made a big difference.

The biggest difference though has been Clement, and the way he has us organised. I reckon if he was in charge of most other clubs they would be doing better.

The way he organises us out of possession and restricts the oppositon to very little, it's a real quality. If he was in charge of someone like Fulham or Blackburn, he would have them in or around the top six.

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If he was in charge of someone like Fulham or Blackburn, he would have them in or around the top six.

Except he was at Blackburn with Steve Kean, but that bit is now written out of history.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Except he was at Blackburn with Steve Kean, but that bit is now written out of history.

Blackburn's best ever Championship points-per-game ratio wasunder Steve Kean. Who knows what would have happened - but the sacked him when they were like 2nd or 3rd the numpties.

Archived