Middlesbrough v Derby County

David

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, OMGravz said:

Just posted a write up on the Boro Forum. 'Tis viewable here http://oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=7848

Feel free to pop by and comment

Made me laugh, very well done :thumbsup:

What's quite interesting is last season we were all so confident of winning, cocky even. This time around we're all a lot more realistic, despite the fact our team now is much better than last season.

Plus we have Paul Clement who is proving to be a very astute manager, not like McClaren who while he provided excellent football at times, totally ignored the defensive side of the game.

Make no mistake we will be going to the Riverside looking to win the game. I don't think we will, personally, but it wouldn't surprise me if we do to Boro what we did to Hull.

On the flip side it wouldn't surprise me if we have a repeat of the Forest game where Boro score first and easily hold out for the rest ofthe game - you're definitely capable of that.

Pretty evenly matched, both of us strong sides...I just get a nagging feeling Boro will get it over the line 2-1 or 1-0 over us. I'd take a point but Clement and the team will be trying to win it - I fully expect us to be similar to when we played away at Hull. I expect if Boro get the first it'll be hard for us to get anything but if we get the first we're very hard to beat. Just a few alarm bells of last seasons panic ridden back line at Leeds but hopefully Shacks will be back to sort that.

Still, I thought we'd lose at Hull, I thought we'd get three points off Leeds each time we played them.

It's a funny old game and we'll see what happens. But I've no problem with Boro and would be happy to see you go up with us. We also have play off hurt in common.

I think we'll be:

Grant

Cyrus-Keogh-Shackel-Warnock

Thorne

Butterfield (Hendrick)        Johnson

Ince      Martin    Russell

The three likely subs to come on being Hendrick (for Butterfield, or t'other way round depending who starts), Bent for Martin and Weimann for Russell depending on the game situation and injuries. PC seems to have some sort of block about having Bent and Martin on at once.

If you could have one Boro player to join us who would it be?

I reckon that's a real tough question. We need extra quality on the wings, but I'm not sure Boro actually have great wingers. Stuani and Kike have played out wide for them this season, neither are natural wingers.

Downing is an easy option, but he's probably better through the middle. Adomah seems just as inconsistent as Russell. In fact, Russell has more goals and assists than Adomah this season.

Ayala is probably the best CB in the league, but at CB in Shackell and Keogh we have a partnership good enough to get promoted. CB isn't an area we need improving.

After all that perhaps George Friend? He'd be an upgrade on both Forsyth and Warnock, though again LB is hardly an area for concern. Nsue for Christie? Maybe another option.

Leadbitter and Clayton are excellent players. But we've got Thorne who is equally as good.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Whats their keeper like?

Better than Grant, not much between him and Carson. Again it's a position we don't need strengthening.

Interestingly, I think the only position both sides could really improve is their wide areas. I reckon Boro would take Tom Ince in a heartbeat - they'd be mad not to let's be honest.

But there isn't a standout player I'd take from Boro's side. Ayala, Nsue and Friend would all get in our team, no question about it, but our defence isn't really an area for concern. 

Boro have good partnerships through the whole team don't they. 

There can be a bit of clash with Warnock and Weimann, Christie and Ince etc.

I dreamt they'd win 3-2 after coming flying out the blocks at the start. 

Dunno which players I'd take. I know I don't rate Adomah. But I think as individuals we're pretty much even. 

But the Clayton Leadbitter duo is a better partnership than any we have. 

I think there's still a bit more greasing of the wheels to do for us. 

Can't agree that Ayala is better than keogh or shackell.

Not convinced that nsue is better than christie either - on this seasons form.

leadbitter always plays well.

friend unpicked our back four for their goal last time out.

Both sides are solid if slightly unspectacular.

we need butterfield to tip toe through their defences.

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Boro have good partnerships through the whole team don't they. 

There can be a bit of clash with Warnock and Weimann, Christie and Ince etc.

I dreamt they'd win 3-2 after coming flying out the blocks at the start. 

Dunno which players I'd take. I know I don't rate Adomah. But I think as individuals we're pretty much even. 

But the Clayton Leadbitter duo is a better partnership than any we have. 

I think there's still a bit more greasing of the wheels to do for us. 

I think the Clayton/Leadbitter partnership is the best in the Championship. But having said that, we don't play with two holding midfielders so it's difficult to really compare.

Nugent would offer us something different upfront. He'd definitely be an excellent player to have in the squad, though I'm sure I'd take him over Martin as a guaranteed first-teamer.

28 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If you could have one Boro player to join us who would it be?

I reckon that's a real tough question. We need extra quality on the wings, but I'm not sure Boro actually have great wingers. Stuani and Kike have played out wide for them this season, neither are natural wingers.

Downing is an easy option, but he's probably better through the middle. Adomah seems just as inconsistent as Russell. In fact, Russell has more goals and assists than Adomah this season.

Ayala is probably the best CB in the league, but at CB in Shackell and Keogh we have a partnership good enough to get promoted. CB isn't an area we need improving.

After all that perhaps George Friend? He'd be an upgrade on both Forsyth and Warnock, though again LB is hardly an area for concern. Nsue for Christie? Maybe another option.

Leadbitter and Clayton are excellent players. But we've got Thorne who is equally as good.

Clayton or Leadbitter in a midfield 2 with Thorne in a 4-2-3-1 formation

15 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Can't agree that Ayala is better than keogh or shackell.

Not convinced that nsue is better than christie either - on this seasons form.

leadbitter always plays well.

friend unpicked our back four for their goal last time out.

Both sides are solid if slightly unspectacular.

we need butterfield to tip toe through their defences.

Ayala is better than Keogh. He has come on loads since his loan spell here and struggles at Norwich. Nsue seems more mobile than Christie, who in contrast seems gangly and awkward.

Though Christie is probably better in the air and stronger. 

The two teams I feel are very evenly matched. I just feel Boro have a bit more nous than us and they'll win more games at this level doing so. They also have no real close rivals, that always helps.

Playing Forest is difficult for us, playing Forest is easy for Boro.

4 minutes ago, Holgate86mfc said:

Do you mind if I give a combined team? Well here goes....

Carson

Nsue Ayala Shackell Friend

Clayton Thorne

Adomah Downing Ince

Martin

I would say that's fair :)

Good team. I'd probably choose the exact same team. However on current form I think that Butterfield deserves to be in there. Possibly him instead of Adomah then move Downing out wide. Would also choose Stuani over Martin on current form.

It's their midfield I really like. I always liked Clayton since I saw him on telly playing for Leeds in a cup game against Bradford but admit Leadbitter has proved me wrong as I didn't think he was anything special at Ipswich. Friend never impressed me much at Donny either actually. It just shows you impressions made from witnessing the odd televised game or against Derby aren't always the best way to judge a player.

I recommended we get Clayton if we couldn't get Thorne and he's got better since then. I find it slightly peculiar watching him and Leadbitter though, they're basically the same player. They're like telepathic clones working in tandem. The only time I can tell them apart is when Clayton gets his bass out. 

But as good as their partnership is, I'd still rather have Thorne.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Good team. I'd probably choose the exact same team. However on current form I think that Butterfield deserves to be in there. Possibly him instead of Adomah then move Downing out wide. Would also choose Stuani over Martin on current form.

I would maybe swap Adomah for Stuani to be fair, Stuani doesn't play as the lone front man for us he plays on the right of the 3. That's the job of either Kike or Nugent

7 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

It's their midfield I really like. I always liked Clayton since I saw him on telly playing for Leeds in a cup game against Bradford but admit Leadbitter has proved me wrong as I didn't think he was anything special at Ipswich. Friend never impressed me much at Donny either actually. It just shows you impressions made from witnessing the odd televised game or against Derby aren't always the best way to judge a player.

I recommended we get Clayton if we couldn't get Thorne and he's got better since then. I find it slightly peculiar watching him and Leadbitter though, they're basically the same player. They're like telepathic clones working in tandem. The only time I can tell them apart is when Clayton gets his bass out. 

But as good as their partnership is, I'd still rather have Thorne.

Same, if it weren't  for injuries Thorne would be knocking on the Engand door right now. Especially if you see the likes of Dele Alli playing for England(who I think is a brilliant player btw)

Archived