Middlesbrough v Derby County

Day

10 hours ago, RedSmog said:

Two best sides in division=agree

MFC should be doing more to put bums on seats=agree

A little unfair to say the ground is always half empty, we have averaged over 22000 this year

A lot lower than Derby granted, but your catchment area is a hell of a lot bigger than Middlesbroughs

Somewhere in the region of 5x going by population

So to be only averaging 5-6000 less is pretty good, considering the massive job losses in the area too

29,000 against Sheffield Wednesday wasn't there? I could be wrong. 

I do feel sorry for the people of Boro, I've never been (Until the game this Saturday) but all I ever read about Middlesbrough is more and more government cuts, more job losses and little funding. So to be getting 29,000 in hard times is excellent I think. (Unless what I am reading is all lies and its actually a utopian paradise that they are just trying to keep me away from!) It would be great if your club could reflect the areas current financial climate and do more to make matches cheaper. Obviously you can't have ago at Gibson as he has done wonders, one of the best chairmans in the country along with Stokes, Peter Coates is his name? 

Going to be really tough game for Derby this, 8 clean sheets in a row for Boro. If Shackell plays this could very well end up 0-0. Hopefully not with all the attacking talent on show. 

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of football attendance,of course it is important to maximise

your support. Especially now we have FFP,because the extra income

increases profits which can then be used to improve the squad. But its

more than that, the more people pay to watch reflects how healthy the game is.

Don't let anybody tell you that European clubs and those outside Europe don't think

it important,the do and they are dead jealous of this country.A few weeks ago a Dutch

player was bemoaning the weakness in the Dutch league,and saying that 5000 was

the average attendance.

I don't if anybody else picked up on a story 2 or 3 weeks ago. In Barcelona Xavi was

approached by a young lad who asked him, in English,for his autograph.Xavi obliged

and asked the kid which team he supported :" Sheffield United " came the reply. Xavi

said "I know them they play in Englands 3rd division they get 20000 supporters every

home game,amazing only in England can that happen" Actually I checked and the

previous game they got 22000+. Every club needs all the support it can get.

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ignore anyone that takes a dig at your attendances. It's such a ridiculous mentality among English fans it really is pointless and quite frankly sad.

I mean, give me Villarreal's team and 15k fans over Newcastle's team and 50k fans anyday of the week. Who actually cares how many fans each team has. The only important aspect is what happens on the pitch.

You don't hear anyone boast how England has a bigger population than Spain and Argentina (yet be lightyears behind them on the pitch) so why does individual clubs matter?

I doubt Bayern give two hoots that Dortmund get an extra 15k in their stadium every other week when they're winning the Bundesliga every season and signing all the best players...

The only thing that really matters is what happens on the pitch. And so far Boro and Derby look in great shape to go up, long may that continue. 

Nothing against Burnley or Hull, but they've had a recent stint in the PL. Boro, Derby and Brighton/Ipswich would be something fresh and a welcome change. Hopefully it happens.

Take that on board and mainly agree with what you saying, but when you're going week in week out its a much better experience in a packed out ground. Every goal scored is that little bit better, matches feel like an occasion. Not having a dig at you because you make a logical argument, but it's easy to forget that when you're living abroad watching it on a laptop.

"If a Chris Martin falls in the woods and there is no one around to see him, does he win a dodgy penalty at all?"

17 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If we match up to Boro how about:

..................................grant...........................

christie..........keogh.............shackles.....warnock

....................Thorne..........Johnson....................

Russell.......................Ince.................Butterfield 

..................................Martin...............................

I quite like that! 

I liked that shape v Bristol. Thought it freed Ince up really well, still looked solid and the width is there.

But I'm a sucker for 4231 anyway. 

35 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Agree with it all apart from Nsue out for Christie.

Christie statistically has performed better than Nsue. I just think the latter is more mobile. Christie is stronger and better in the air, but arguably more prone to errors and silly fouls.

It was a close one. I just wanted to keep most of Boro's back five considering how strong they've been.

What a game this is supposed to be! There's basicly nothing between these teams, managers and squads are better than rest in this division.

Attacking width will be our best option to score so we could see 4-2-3-1. Their defensive midfielders and CB's really makes it hard attack from the middle. Unfortunately we don't have out and out winger, this game would've been his change to shine.

I'm expecting something suprising from Clement though.

23 hours ago, gazram80 said:

Tried to register to post some comments. I'm a spammer apparently? Or did it say spanner! 

Was pleased that one of my quotes got a mention.

Been talking to the mods, apparently we've had a problem with spammers but he said  "well if you go back would you mention that any Ram fan wishing to chat on our thread should have a user friendly name, that way I can activate their new account quickly.

Mention we have had issues with Spammers but I will look out for Derby associated user names "

Hope that helps bud

25 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Clayton might not be playing due injury. Mind game perhaps. 

As far as i,m concerned definitely a red herring , maybe;)

The man is a midfield monster, BUT Forshaw imo is more than capable

of filling his boots ,in a more attacking option.

Keeps Clement guessing i suppose:D

5 minutes ago, RedSmog said:

As far as i,m concerned definitely a red herring , maybe;)

The man is a midfield monster, BUT Forshaw imo is more than capable

of filling his boots ,in a more attacking option.

Keeps Clement guessing i suppose:D

Big if he's not playing then massive blow tbh. I'm sure we'll keep Aitor guessing too. ;) 

Archived