In form team/table without first 5 games...

Ovis aries

It is frustrating looking at the table without the first five games. A 9 point gap to third place would be incredible. I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that if we had the exact same fixtures now as we did our first five, we would have got more than four points. I'd go as far as arguing we would have got 11 or 12 from our first 5. That's a difference of 7 points which would have us well clear.

The slow start was to be expected though with a new manager and a host of new players. It's a shame we had an "easy" start, if we played Charlton at home again I'd expect a comfortable win.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rampage said:

Excellent info, birmingram. So, we have made up 2pts on Boro, 9 on Hull, 10 on Burnley, 10 on Brighton.

This seems to suggest that Boro and Derby are starting to run away with it having given the other teams a head start.

Outstanding performance.This bodes well for the second half of the season.COYR

We will have our chance against boro soon.

Would love to think our performance against ipswich was a practice for the perfect away performance. 

A 1-0 mugging of Middlesbrough would keep me smiling for weeks ☺

Watched the boro/Brighton, boro do look very good, let brighton have all the possession, but no real chances on goal, so it will be tuff game. Although they have lost a few games this season and them being at home till they will come at us?

A sure one for Sky?

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Unbelievable thread.

Maybe we should forget those games we lost too? Would make even better table.

Not really, I think the point he's trying to make is that, after the first five games with a new manager and players settling in and after getting the squad to its current strength, we have performed well ahead of all of the other teams with the exception of boro. 

Hopefully, it can continue for the rest of the season. But that will depend on injuries and key signings in January, for all the teams. 

5 hours ago, toddy said:

Is there a standard number of games when the form tables are created?

Some say 5, others 6-8, some even say 10-12. Down to personal opinion. 6 or 8 suits me as it's more like how the team was performing in the recent past. Any longer than that doesn't really seem like 'form' to me.

I've seen a couple of posters say Boro are the form team because they're top but that's the last 22 games :blink:

1 hour ago, mozza said:

i'm sure we could formulate a table to get F*rest top , then again , maybe not ..

I’ve got one

“The Sky bet Championship Friday The 6th of November 2015 final league table”

1st NFFC  played 1 won 1 draws 0 lost 0 goals for 1 goals against 0

2nd DCFC  played 1 won 0 draws 0 lost 1 goals for 0 goals against 1

Top of the table go on to play the mighty Malmo for the europperra super fridge magnet pennant and the bottom place team face Graham street prims fc or Doncaster pork butcher fc for the the Nigel Clough trophy.

Fulham, are next opponents are bottom of the form table in the last 6 or 8 games.

As they have no win in the last 8.

On the other hand, if you draw a form table of the last 10. They are closer to mid table with 2 wins, 9 and 10 games ago.

You paint a picture how ever you like to make it fit.

I personally like it to be last 6 or last 8, to represent form.

We didn't even play badly in those first few games. Perhaps if we had, you could look at the improvements.

But we battered Charlton, should have beaten Birmingham with the chances we had, was much improved 2nd half versus Leeds. A fair reflection fom the first five games would have at least eight points, not four!

The way I those first 5 games is this.

Bolton - Draw: We probably deserved to lose to Bolton in all fairness (L)
Charlton - Draw: Probably deserved the win (W)
Boro - Draw: Fair. We snatched the equaliser but on the balance of play.... (D)
Birmingham - Draw: Again, about fair. Back and forth game. Could have been about 12 all but still, was an even match (D)
Leeds - Loss: Nah, we deserved a point here. Started poorly, finished poorly, but weren't too shabby in between (D)

So we got four points, but I'd say we probably deserved six. Perhaps five because I'm open to persuasion on the Leeds game. That means in my view, it's only an extra point or two, and I'm sure Boro could nitpick through the season and find another point or two they deserved as well. That's football. Life's not fair.

We'd be top if it wasn't for those first five games? My aunt would be my uncle if she had balls. Neither here nor there.

I bet it will need to be 87+

Burnley got 93 didnt they, when we finished 3rd to them 2 seasons back.

On another note, a really good article I read on the Gazette website (the boro version of the derby telegraph) stated that in 9 out of the last 10 seasons the team top of the championship at Xmas has finished in the top 2 at the end of the season.

Archived